This refreshing Cucumber Tomato Salad combines the crispness of English cucumber, the tanginess of cherry tomatoes, and the creamy indulgence of avocado, creating a harmonious blend of flavors that will leave you craving for more. It’s a fresh and flavorful side dish perfect for spring and summer picnics, barbecues and a delicious way to use up those garden vegetables. Pairs well with any main and is naturally gluten-free, vegan, paleo, low carb with a Whole30 option.
Updated June 2023
An Easy Tomato Cucumber Salad Recipe
Looking for a delicious and refreshing salad for picnic and barbecue season? This Tomato Cucumber Salad is a classic and one of the easiest summer salads you can make! It’s cool, crunchy and full of fresh flavors that are perfect on a hot summer day.
The salad itself is only 5 ingredients, and the flavorful dressing is as simple as whisking all the ingredients in bowl. It’s delicious on its own but pairs so well as a side with your favorite grilled recipes and also at a potluck or summer BBQs.
The ingredient lineup here is simple – just a few items for the salad, a couple more for the dressing, and finally, your lovely toppings.
For the Salad
- English Cucumber: This variety of cucumber offers a crisp and refreshing flavor, perfect for a summer salad. Persian cucumbers will work too.
- Red Onion: The mild and slightly sweet taste of red onion provides a subtle yet satisfying contrast to the other ingredients.
- Cherry Tomatoes: Bursting with juicy goodness, cherry tomatoes add a burst of color and tangy flavor to every bite.
- Avocados: Creamy and rich, avocados introduce a delightful buttery texture to the salad, making it even more satisfying.
- Basil: The fresh aroma and delicate taste of basil complement the other ingredients.
For the Dressing
- Lemon Juice: I recommend using fresh lemon juice whenever possible.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Maple syrup – leave out for sugar-free / Whole30 or use preferred liquid sweetener.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Wholegrain mustard: adds a nice bold flavor but you can also use Dijon Mustard if that’s what you have in your pantry.
- Salt and Black pepper: to taste
How to make Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Make the dressing: Add all the dressing ingredients to a mason jar or a bowl and shake well or whisk until well combined.
- Prepare the vegetables: Thinly slice cucumber and onion with a mandolin or knife. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and the avocado into chunks.
- Combine the ingredients: Add to a bowl along with the basil.
- Add dressing: Pour dressing over the salad.
- Toss and serve: Toss well until combined. Serve and enjoy.
Tips for Success:
To ensure your Cucumber Tomato Salad turns out perfectly every time, here are some handy tips:
- Slice cucumbers into thin slices: Use a mandolin or sharp knife to thinly slice the cucumber and onion, ensuring consistent and uniform cuts.
- Dressing: For the dressing, shake or whisk the ingredients well to achieve a harmonious blend of flavors.
- Avocado: To prevent the avocados from browning, toss them gently in lemon juice before adding them to the salad.
- Adjust Dressing Consistency: If your dressing comes out too thick, add a few drops of water and mix to thin it out. Add more water, a little bit at a time, and continue mixing until your dressing reaches the perfect consistency.
- Mix Well: In order to get a good coat of dressing on your salad, be sure to mix it well before serving.
- Add Nuts or top with some Vegan Cheese: You can top this refreshing salad with nuts and seeds (or in addition to it), feel free to garnish your salad with vegan parmesan cheese.
Cucumber Tomato Salad shines as a refreshing side dish, but it can also take center stage as a light and healthy main course. Here are a few serving suggestions to inspire your culinary creativity:
- Pair with Grilled Protein: Pair it with grilled chicken or fish for a complete and balanced meal.
- Burgers and Sandwiches: Serve it alongside these burgers, sliders or egg salad sandwiches to add a cooling element to your summer feast.
- Alone: Enjoy it as a standalone dish for a quick and satisfying lunch or light dinner.
- Serve with Wings: If you want a spicy dish to balance out the cool and creamy flavors of this salad, try serving it with these addicting Buffalo Cauliflower Wings.
Variations and Substitutions
Feel free to customize this salad to suit your preferences. With these variations, you can experiment and create your signature version of this delightful salad!
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Add some crumbled feta cheese for a salty and tangy kick.
- Incorporate fresh mint leaves or cilantro instead of basil for a unique twist.
- Substitute the maple syrup in the dressing with your preferred liquid sweetener or omit it altogether for a keto or Whole30-friendly version.
If you happen to have any leftovers, follow these storage instructions:
- Transfer the salad to an airtight container.
- Refrigerate for up to 2 days to maintain its freshness.
- If you know you want to save some of your salad, set aside the amount of salad and dressing you want to store and refrigerate them separately. This way, it’ll stay good for up to 5 days. We do not recommend freezing this salad.
Can I Make This Salad Ahead?
This salad is a great make-ahead recipe if you store it properly. To make it in advance, gather all your salad ingredients in a container or bowl, cover and refrigerate them. Then, make your dressing and place it in the fridge in a separate container. Put your salad together and enjoy within 5 days, for best results.
More Healthy Salad Ideas
Need more healthy salad recipes in your life? We’ve got you covered!
This Cucumber Tomato Salad is a fresh and flavorful side dish made with sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, creamy avocado, red onions with a tangy vinaigrette dressing. Perfect for spring and summer picnics, barbecues and a delicious way to use up those garden vegetables. Pairs well with any main and is naturally gluten-free, vegan, paleo, low carb with a Whole30 option.
- 1 large English cucumber
- 1 red onion
- 14 oz cherry tomatoes , cut into halves
- 2 medium avocados , cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp finely chopped basil
Thinly slice cucumber and onion with a mandolin or knife. Add to a bowl along with the cherry tomatoes and avocado.
Add all the dressing ingredients to a mason jar or a bowl and shake well or whisk until well combined.
Pour over the salad.
Toss well until combine and serve.
Disclaimer: This updated post was generated on June 19, 2023 by ChatGPT, an AI language model, and all info should be reviewed and validated by a human for accuracy and relevancy before implementation