These BBQ Chicken Sliders are easy to make with tender chicken, sweet pineapples, your favorite BBQ sauce and gooey cheese over gluten-free Hawaiian-style rolls. They come together in less than 30 minutes and make the perfect snacks and appetizers for feeding a crowd. Includes gluten-free, low carb, keto and dairy-free options.
Updated June 2021
Easy BBQ Chicken Sliders Recipe
These BBQ Chicken Sliders are always a crowd-pleaser and could not be more simple!
They’re hot, gooey and are just perfect for using up leftover rotisserie chicken. Or you can also cook chicken breasts on the grill or in your slow cooker and shred them — so easy! Plus, you can easily make them gluten-free, low carb, keto or dairy-free with just a few simple substitutes.
My family loves bite-sized sandwiches since they’re super versatile! Great for a quick and easy weeknight dinner or as an after-school snack but would also make a great addition to summer parties, potlucks, and get-togethers.
And if you’re looking for more sandwich recipes, these Ham and Cheese Sliders, Chicken Bruschetta Sliders or these Mediterranean Chicken Sliders are always a big hit on game days and disappear so quickly.
Ingredients you need
Making baked chicken sliders sliders could not be more simple. All you need are just a few ingredients that you most likely already have in your fridge or kitchen pantry. This recipe is super easy to customize with swaps for gluten-free, low carb, keto or dairy-free.
- Soft dinner rolls: Soft King’s Hawaiian rolls are always a hit with my guests that have no dietary issues. To make Keto Ham and Cheese Sliders, we will use these paleo, grain-free keto rolls from Unbun or these Carb Wise rolls from Slice of Life
- Shredded Cooked Chicken: You can use leftover Air Fryer Chicken Breast or rotisserie chicken.
- Sliced cheese: We like to use sliced cheddar cheese and sliced Swiss cheese. Place half a slice on each roll for great melty texture. To keep these dairy-free, we use this vegan cheddar from Violife or Chao and the Provolone slices from Violife.
- BBQ sauce – use your favorite. For a Whole30 compliant unsweetened and no-sugar added BBQ sauce, we like this Classic BBQ Sauce or Hawaiian Style BBQ sauce from Primal Kitchen.
- Garlic powder + Italian seasoning: The secret seasoning combination we add to the butter that will take these sliders to the next level!
- Butter: melted to brush over the rolls. You can sub with ghee or use vegan butter (we like this one from Miyokos) to keep these dairy-free.
How to make BBQ Chicken Sliders
To see how easy they are to make, follow the step-by-step instructions or watch the video below.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Toss chicken with barbecue sauce: In a large bowl, toss the shredded chicken with 1/3 cup of barbecue
- Slice buns: Split your slider buns in half. Then place one half in the bottom of a 11×7″ or 9 x 13 greased baking dish.
- Make the melted butter topping: In a small bowl, Mix together the butter with garlic powder and Italian seasoning and brush over tops of rolls.
- Build the layers: Top with mozzarella cheese, shredded chicken, fresh pineapple chunks, a layer of provolone slices and your favorite barbecue sauce. Place the top buns in on top and brush on some melted garlic butter over everything and sprinkle it with a little salt and black pepper.
- Bake: Cover with a sheet of aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes or until cheese is gooey and melted.
- Cut into serving sizes: Slice into individual sliders and serve immediately with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan, if desired. Sliders are best warm and fresh.
To change things up for the next weekend, you can add a little bit of Dijon mustard, poppy seeds or sesame seeds.
What rolls to use
You can use also use any other soft dinner rolls or mini burger rolls you have.
- Soft King’s Hawaiian rolls are always a hit
- Use these keto rolls from Unbun or these Carb Wise rolls from Slice of Life for low carb or keto guests
These baked sliders would be delicious on their own as appetizers or snacks or make it a complete meal with:
Storage and Make ahead Instructions
What’s great about making these sliders is that you can make them ahead of time. Freezer friendly so you can freeze any leftovers for another meal.
Make ahead: After assembling the mini sandwiches in a large casserole pan, wrap the pan tightly in plastic wrap or place in and keep in the refrigerator until the next morning or freezer (for up to 2 months) until ready to bake.
Storage: To store leftovers, transfer to an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
More bbq chicken recipes you will love:
These BBQ Chicken Sliders are easy to make with tender chicken, sweet pineapples, BBQ sauce and gooey cheese over gluten-free Hawaiian-style rolls. They come together in less than 30 minutes and make the perfect snacks and appetizers for feeding a crowd. Includes gluten-free, low carb, keto and dairy-free options.
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken , slow cooked, grilled OR rotisserie
- 1/2 cup sugar-free compliant barbecue sauce , homemade or store bought - or more to taste, plus for topping
- 6 slices Provolone cheese To keep these dairy-free, we use the Provolone slices from Violife.
- 3/4 cup pineapple chunks
- 6 slices Mozzarella cheese To keep these dairy-free, we use this vegan cheddar from Violife or Chao.
- 1 12 count package Hawaiian or Soft Dinner Rolls , Soft King's Hawaiian rolls are always a hit with my guests that have no dietary issues. To make keto sliders, we will use these gluten-free, paleo, grain-free keto rolls from Unbun or these Carb Wise rolls from Slice of Life. Another gluten-free sweet roll option (not low-carb) are these Brioche-Style Sweet Rolls from Canyon Bakehouse.
- grated Parmesan cheese for topping , optional OR nutritional yeast for dairy-free
- 1/3 cup butter OR ghee , melted - to keep this dairy-free, use vegan butter. We like Miyokos.
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a large bowl, toss the shredded chicken with 1/3 cup of barbecue sauce.
Split your slider buns in half, place one half in the bottom of an 11x7" or 9x13" baking dish.
Place slices of mozzarella, on the bottom layer, top with shredded chicken followed pineapple chunks. Top with slices of provolone cheese plus remaining barbecue sauce. Place the other half of the rolls on top.
Mix together the butter with garlic powder and poppy seeds and brush over tops of rolls. Cover with tinfoil and bake in preheated oven for about 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Slice into individual sliders and serve immediately with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan, if desired. Sliders are best warm and fresh.