Barbecue Chicken Foil Packets are the perfect easy dinner for summer. They can be baked or grilled with practically no clean-up! Made with tender chicken coated in a sweet and tangy BBQ sauce with your favorite veggies. Options for Whole30, low carb, keto and paleo.
Updated May 2019
AN EASY CHICKEN DINNER IDEA FOR SUMMER
With summer in full swing, the last thing most of us want is to be stuck indoors when it’s nice outside.
This recipe for Barbecue Chicken Foil Packets is the perfect easy dinner recipe to have in your back pocket.
Foil packet dinners are all the rage right now since they so easy to put together. As much as we love these BBQ Chicken Foil Packs, a few of our favorites include these Mediterranean Salmon Foil Packets, Teriyaki Salmon Foil Packs to Chicken Fajita Foil Packs.
They are just so darn simple to put together with practically no clean up and the best part? You can customize them with what you like or have in your fridge.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED FOR THIS FOIL PACKET DINNER:
FOR THE FOIL PACKS:
Chicken breast – feel free to use chicken thighs if you like
Vegetables: Broccoli, bell peppers, zucchini and corn (leave out for low carb / keto)
Barbecue Sauce: We love using Primal Kitchen’s BBQ Sauce since it’s delicious, has no added sugar is Whole30 friendly, paleo & low carb but you can definitely use your favorite BBQ Sauce like Stubbs or Baby Ray’s.
Sweetener: If you want to sweeten things up, you can add a drop of liquid Monk Fruit Sweetener or your preferred liquid sweetener of choice such as maple syrup, honey or pureed dates.
Apple Cider Vinegar: adds a touch of tangy-ness
Smoked Paprika: adds a smokiness
Chili Powder: to add some heat
HOW TO MAKE BARBECUE CHICKEN FOIL PACKETS:
- Begin by mixing the sauce together with barbecue sauce. We like using Primal Kitchen but feel free to use your favorite. chicken breasts that you coat in a delicious sweet and tangy barbecue sauce.
- Add your favorite chopped veggies – I used zucchini, bell peppers, red onion, corn and broccoli.
- Divide the ingredients onto four 18 x 12 sheets of foil (you can also add a layer of parchment paper inside the foil if you prefer using parchment paper instead)
- Seal up the packets and toss onto the grill until the chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with some fresh parsley and you’ve got the perfect summer meal!
These BBQ Chicken Foil Packets are an easy, flavor-packed meal with virtually no-clean-up!
Helpful tips to make the best foil packet dinners:
- when baking chicken breasts in foil, you’re going to want to drizzle with oil to prevent sticking and season generously with salt and pepper first
- fold foil packets by wrapping the corners into an envelope lengthwise then roll the ends up to ensure they are well sealed. You want to ensure the juices stay inside.
Can you make foil packets ahead of time?
Yes! The great thing about foil packets is that they are easy to make ahead. You just assemble the ingredients into the foil packs ahead of time then place them in the cooler or fridge.
Once you are ready to cook or reach your destination, remove from the cooler or fridge and place on the grill or in the oven.
What can I use instead of aluminum foil?
Can you freeze foil packs?
Can you make foil packs in the oven?
Reasons we love this healthy dinner recipe:
- easy to make in under 30 minutes
- super delicious and simple to customize with options for keto, low carb, whole30, paleo
- Macros: 208 Calories, 6 grams NET carbs, 25 grams of protein (with Primal Kitchen BBQ sauce and minus the corn)
More foil packet meals:
This first appeared on The Recipe Critic.
Barbecue Chicken Foil Packets are the perfect easy meal for summer. Best of all, they can be baked or grilled with practically no clean-up! Made with tender chicken coated in a sweet and tangy BBQ sauce with your favorite, summer veggies. Options for Whole30, low carb, keto and paleo.
- heavy duty foil , plus parchment paper if preferred*
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts , pounded to even thickness
- Himalayan sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil OR avocado oil
- 1 zucchini chopped
- ½ red bell pepper cut into chunks
- ¼ red onion cut into small chunks
- 1 ear of corn , kernels removed (leave out for low carb & keto)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Preheat grill to medium-high heat or the oven to 425 degrees F. Cut four 18 x 12-inch squares of foil* and layout on a flat surface. Place one chicken breast in the middle of each piece of foil and divide the vegetables evenly into each packet. arranging them around the chicken.
Drizzle the chicken and vegetables with oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
In a bowl, whisk together the barbecue sauce, sweetener, vinegar, chili powder, and smoked paprika. Brush sauce on both sides of the chicken, reserving enough for later. Sprinkle with half of the chopped parsley.
- Fold the foil over the chicken and seal to close off the packets.
Place foil packets onto grill and grill for 7-8 minutes, then flip over and grill for an additional 6-8 minutes (depending on the thickness of the chicken) or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the grill and carefully open the foil packets. Brush chicken with reserved sauce and top with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
Place foil packets on a baking sheet and cook for 25-35 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through (depends on your oven and how thick the chicken is) and rotating tray once). Time varies depending on the thickness of the chicken. Remove baking sheet from oven. Brush chicken with reserved sauce and top with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
*if you prefer using parchment paper instead - you can also cut four 18 x 12 inch parchment paper squares and place them on top of the foil and place the salmon and vegetables on the parchment paper. Then double wrap the packets with the foil layer on the outside.