This Egg Casserole is an easy Whole30, low carb and paleo breakfast recipe made with spinach, zucchini and ham. A make-ahead breakfast casserole is the perfect healthy breakfast or weekend brunch. You can prep and bake this meal in just 10 minutes, before serving and enjoying.
Updated December 2020
EASY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE RECIPE
If you’re looking for some savory ideas on what to have for breakfast while you’re on Whole30, we usually have eggs for breakfast a lot around here.
You can’t beat how easy they are plus, they’re full of nutrients, protein, low carb, paleo and keto-friendly.
While most mornings we’ll warm up one of these mini Breakfast Egg Muffins that we meal-prepped over the weekend, a simple and quick keto breakfast casserole is the perfect last minute recipe for feeding a crowd.
WHAT IS EGG CASSEROLE
Breakfast bakes or egg bakes are one of the easiest ways to prepare eggs. This egg bake recipe allows you to cook scrambled eggs for a crowd without standing over a skillet. Overnight egg casserole recipes are also perfect for holiday mornings when you have overnight guests.
You simply make a whole casserole dish of scrambled eggs that can easily be reheated on a busy morning. Baking everything into a pretty casserole dish is a great way to fancy up breakfast for a special occasion like Easter, Mother’s Day and Christmas. You can customize them with a few simple ingredients or add in as many ingredients you like.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE A HEALTHY EGG CASSEROLE:
Most healthy breakfast casseroles start off with:
- protein of your choice: chicken, turkey, bacon, ham, sausage or leave out and add your favorite plant-based protein for a vegetarian egg casserole
- any vegetables you have on hand: zucchini, spinach, kale, asparagus, bell peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, eggplant, turnip etc.
- seasonings: salt & black pepper
Classic non-Whole30 breakfast casseroles might also include: dairy and cheese
IS EGG CASSEROLE WITH SAUSAGE WHOLE30 COMPLIANT:
Is sausage allowed on Whole30? Yes, you can have sausage on a Whole30 diet as long as it doesn’t have any nitrates or MSG, sugar plus any other unapproved additives.
Aidells, Pederson’s Natural, Applegate and Teton are a few brands that have Whole30 compliant sausages.
HOW TO MAKE EGG CASSEROLE:
For this keto breakfast egg casserole you’re going to start off:
- BEAT THE EGGS: In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and coconut cream together. Season with salt and pepper along with any other spices or herbs you like. Smoked paprika, thyme or oregano would be great in here.
- STIR IN VEGGIES: Stir in spinach, zucchini, mushrooms and chopped ham.
- POUR IN PAN: Pour into a 9×13 casserole pan and top with tomatoes. If you’re not following Whole30 or a paleo diet, you can add the optional cheddar and goat cheese on top.
- WHAT TEMPERATURE TO COOK FOR EGG CASSEROLE: Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes, or until set.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH EGG CASSEROLE:
This gluten free breakfast casserole is so versatile and would be great alone or with just about any side dish or protein you like. You can serve with a breakfast hash, sausage or pancakes.
- Feel free to swap the spinach for kale, broccoli, asparagus, peppers, mushrooms, onions or asparagus.
- And instead of making an egg casserole with ham, try:
- Egg casserole with bacon: add cooked and crumbled bacon
- Adding roasted potatoes for an egg casserole with potatoes
- Leave out the ham for a vegetarian breakfast casserole
CAN EGG CASSEROLE BE FROZEN
So you might be wondering how to freeze egg casserole. The great thing about this overnight breakfast casserole is that you can make it ahead of time and it is freezer-friendly. You can meal prep a batch on Sunday and portion it out into individual servings.
Cut into squares or leave whole – wrap in plastic wrap and store portions in a large freezer bag or individual containers.
HOW TO REHEAT THIS HEALTHY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE?
To reheat, thaw and blot with paper towel and reheat portions in the microwave or whole in the oven at 350 F for 30-35 minutes or until warmed through.
WHY MAKE BREAKFAST CASSSEROLES
I love how easy casserole bakes are to customize. They are great for using up leftovers in the fridge and perfect for those that love savory foods for breakfast and brunch.
This breakfast casserole is the perfect choice when you’re having guests over for a holiday meal. You can also make it at the beginning of the week and just reheat a square for a quick breakfast on the go.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
- Baked Egg Cups
- Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Best Brunch Egg Casserole recipes
- Baked Oatmeal Cups
This Egg Casserole is an easy Whole30, low carb and paleo breakfast recipe made with spinach, zucchini and ham. This make-ahead breakfast casserole is the perfect healthy breakfast or weekend brunch. You can prep and bake this meal in just 10 minutes, before serving and enjoying.
- 10 large eggs
- 2/3 cup coconut cream OR heavy cream (if not Whole30 / Paleo)
- fine sea salt & black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup organic spinach
- 1 small zucchini sliced into rounds
- 1/3 cup chopped ham , sub with your favorite protein or leave out for vegetarian
- 1/2 cup sliced cremini or button mushrooms
- 3 cherry tomatoes sliced in half, vertically
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free ricotta cheese (Kite Hill or Treeline) , can also sub with regular cheese if not Whole30, vegetarian or paleo
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
Crack eggs into medium-sized bowl. Add coconut cream and season with salt and pepper. Whisk until well-combined. Stir in spinach, zucchini, ham, mushrooms and tomatoes.
Spray a 9x13 pan with avocado or coconut oil cooking spray. Pour egg mixture then top with more tomatoes. Sprinkle with dairy-free ricotta or shredded cheese, if using.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until eggs are set and not jiggly. Remove from oven once edges of casserole are golden brown.
- Allow to cool before cutting and serving.