Gluten Free Blueberry French Toast Casserole – the perfect healthier and delicious make ahead breakfast or brunch. Best of all, this recipe is easy to assemble the night before and simple to customize. Bursting with sweet blueberries, fresh lemon and a crunchy cinnamon streusel topping. Gluten free and refined sugar free.
And since Mother’s Day is just around the corner, I’ve been getting a lot of requests for a gluten free version of this Blueberry French Toast Bake – a big reader favorite.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE THIS GLUTEN FREE BLUEBERRY FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE
- You’re going to start off with 2 (8.5 oz) loaves of gluten free French bread – I used UDI’s but feel free to use your favorite brand. Tear into chunks or cut into cubes and add them to a greased casserole dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, maple syrup, lemon juice and vanilla in a large measuring cup and pour over the bread. Cover and store in the fridge (preferably overnight) until needed.
- When ready to serve, make the gluten free streusel and sprinkle over top. Bake at 350 and serve warm with some more maple syrup, fresh blueberries or whipped coconut cream.
Healthier Blueberry French Toast Casserole makes the perfect easy and delicious make ahead breakfast or brunch. Bursting with sweet blueberries, fresh lemon and a crunchy cinnamon streusel topping. Gluten free and refined sugar free.
- 1 16-ounce (450 g loaf) of gluten free French bread (I used 2 UDI's GF halve-loaves (day old bread works best), cut into 1-inch cubes with the ends discarded
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries unthawed , divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used almond milk)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice PLUS 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest optional for lemon fans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond flour OR all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed coconut sugar OR brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoons solid coconut oil OR unsalted butter cold and cubed
- fresh blueberries
- fresh fruit
- whipped coconut cream
- maple syrup
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and cinnamon together. Cut in the coconut oil with a pastry blender or two forks. Set aside in the fridge.
- Lightly grease a 9x9-inch square baking dish or 2.5 quart casserole dish.
- Arrange half of the bread cubes in the bottom of the pan. Add 1 cup of the blueberries.
- Top with remaining bread cubes.
- In a large bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, milk, lemon juice & zest (if using), cinnamon, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Pour evenly over bread cubes. Press the bread cubes slightly down to absorb the milk/egg mixture.
- Top evenly with the remaining blueberries. Sprinkle the streusel topping over top. Cover pan with foil. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour but preferably overnight.
- When ready to bake, remove french toast from the fridge. Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20-23 minutes or until fluffy and golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Top with syrup and additional toppings if desired. Serve warm.