Overnight Blueberry French Toast Bake makes the perfect easy and delicious make ahead breakfast or brunch. Best of all, this recipe is super easy to assemble the night before and easy to customize. Bursting with sweet blueberries, fresh lemon and a crunchy cinnamon streusel topping. Gluten free and refined sugar free.
That’s why make-ahead casseroles are the perfect solution, especially with Mother’s Day just right around the corner.
It makes the perfect dish if you have guests coming over for brunch.
If you’re looking for a few more ideas — this Healthy Fruit Pizza, Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast Bake, Mixed Berry French Toast, Banana Pecan French Toast Bake and Caramel Apple Streusel French Toast Bake are among our favorites.
All you have to do is gather up the ingredients, park the dish in the fridge and when you wake up the next morning, pop it into the oven and bake away!
It’s made with juicy blueberries layered between a soft and creamy filling along with an extra special coconut sugar streusel topping.
It comes out right every time and when you top it off with some sweet syrup and a dollop of fresh whipped cream, it’s the stuff dreams are made of.
This would be a hit with everyone in the family plus it’s even easy enough that dads and kiddos can help put together the night before. Any mom would love to wake up to find this decadent breakfast treat waiting for them on Sunday morning ♥
Looking for more Brunch ideas?
Overnight Blueberry Cream Cheese French Toast
- 1 16 ounce (450 g) loaf of French bread (I used 2 UDI's GF halve-loaves) , sourdough bread, or challah (day old bread works best), cut into 1-inch cubes with the ends discarded
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (unthawed), divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice PLUS 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (optional for lemon fans)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond flour OR all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed coconut sugar OR brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons solid coconut oil OR unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- Optional toppings: fresh blueberries, fresh fruit, whipped cream, maple syrup and/or powdered sugar
- Make the streusel topping: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and cinnamon together. Cut in the coconut oil with a pastry blender or two forks. Set aside in the fridge.
- Lightly grease a 9x9-inch square baking dish or 2.5 quart casserole dish.
- Arrange half of the bread cubes in the bottom of the pan. Add 1 cup of the blueberries.
- Top with remaining bread cubes.
- In a large bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, milk, lemon juice & zest (if using), cinnamon, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Pour evenly over bread cubes. Press the bread cubes slightly down to absorb the milk/egg mixture.
- Top evenly with the remaining blueberries. Sprinkle the streusel topping over top. Cover pan with foil. Allow to chill in refrigerator for at least an hour but preferably overnight.
- When ready to bake, remove french toast from fridge. Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 20-23 minutes or until fluffy and golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Top with syrup and additional toppings if desired. Serve warm.
I'd love to see! Just snap a photo and hashtag it #LIFEMADESWEETER or tag me @lifemadesweeter on Instagram!