Overnight Banana Pecan Streusel French Toast Bake is the perfect easy breakfast or brunch. Best of all, it’s easy to assemble the night before. Made with a creamy banana filling topped with a cinnamon, pecan & brown sugar streusel.
You can also shake up your breakfast routine with something other than a regular bowl of oatmeal. That’s where overnight casseroles come in. They are just perfect for making ahead and are always a hit with guest. This Blueberry Cream Cheese French Toast Bake and Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast Bake are also ones on our regular rotation.
[pe2-image src=”http://lh5.ggpht.com/-OQ3Nf9pNhJM/VMI57G2uKlI/AAAAAAAASuU/oHizSte8y0o/s144-o/Easy%252520Overnight%252520Banana%252520Pecan%252520Streusel%252520French%252520Toast%252520Bake%252520-%252520by%252520–%252540LifeMadeSweeter.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog6#6107507732283009618″ caption=”Easy Overnight Banana Pecan Streusel French Toast Bake – by –@LifeMadeSweeter.jpg” type=”image” alt=”Easy Overnight Banana Pecan Streusel French Toast Bake – by –@LifeMadeSweeter.jpg” pe2_single_image_size=”w550″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
Our latest obsession has been this Overnight Banana Pecan French Toast Bake. It makes a special breakfast for a random weekend and perfect for when you’ve got overnight company.
It’s got a layer of sweet bananas stuffed in the middle and a creamy filling made with cottage cheese filling stuffed in between. It’s lower in fat and more heart healthy than cream cheese but if you don’t have it on hand, feel free to swap it out for cream cheese instead.
My favorite part is that you can assemble everything ahead of time the night before and then just pop it in the oven when you’re ready to dig in.
Plus, the sweet cinnamon, pecan and brown sugar streusel topping in the oven is just the best! It will make your house smell amazing the next morning while it’s baking up!
Serve it alone with a few slices of bananas and coconut chips or pour on your favorite syrup or caramel sauce for a decadent treat!
An easy breakfast that is comforting and indulgent and an awesome way to start off your weekend.
[pe2-image src=”http://lh3.ggpht.com/-ROtWh70bimU/VMI58DZsRMI/AAAAAAAASuo/gLC2YA635jc/s144-o/Easy%252520Overnight%252520Banana%252520Pecan%252520Streusel%252520French%252520Toast%252520Bake%252520-by%252520-%252540LifeMadeSweeter.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog6#6107507748535813314″ caption=”Easy Overnight Banana Pecan Streusel French Toast Bake -by -@LifeMadeSweeter.jpg” type=”image” alt=”Easy Overnight Banana Pecan Streusel French Toast Bake -by -@LifeMadeSweeter.jpg” pe2_single_image_size=”w550″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
Make ahead tips for this Overnight Banana Pecan Streusel French Toast Bake
- Cut the bread in advance
- Mix the egg and milk mixture the night before.
- Assemble the night before and park it in the fridge overnight to soak up all that goodness.
- 1 large loaf of French bread cut into slices or cubes (I used a multigrain French loaf)
- 2/3 cups fat free cottage cheese or 6 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 7 large eggs
- 2-1/3 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- about 1 large or 2 small overripe bananas sliced, divided (depending on size of your dish)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans optional
- powdered sugar for dusting
- your favorite caramel sauce or syrup
- chopped pecans
- coconut chips
- extra banana slices I cooked mine for 1 minute with some caramel sauce first
- Spray a 9x13" baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Blend the cottage cheese in a blender, food processor, or using a hand mixer. When there is a smooth consistency, mix in the sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Blend in 1/3 cup of milk. Scoop out 1/2 cup of the mixture in small cup or bowl and set aside. Add the rest of the milk and eggs to the blender mixture and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Layer half of the bread cubes in prepared baking dish.
- Add the 1/2 cup reserved cottage cheese/milk mixture over bread cubes.
- Top with a layer of sliced bananas. Layer evenly with the rest of the bread.
- Pour the liquid blender mixture evenly over the top of the bread.
- Make the streusel topping - To a medium bowl, add the butter, flour, sugars, cinnamon and using two forks or your clean hands, cut/crumble the butter into dry ingredients until small pebbles and crumbly bits form. Mix in chopped pecans if using.
- Evenly sprinkle the streusel over the bread.
If making in advance, cover baking dish tightly with plastic wrap or foil and store in the fridge overnight or for several hours. When you are ready to bake, remove the dish from fridge and uncover.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees and bake for 43-52 minutes or until streusel is set and appears to have dried out some. Watch oven time carefully as it may vary. You can try a small bite and if it seems too wet, moist, or under-done for your liking, bake longer. Baking times will range greatly based on the type of bread used, baking dish used, climate, and oven variance. Mine was done at 47 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve warm with your favorite caramel sauce/syrup or a dusting of confectioner's sugar, chopped pecans, coconut chips or extra banana slices (I cooked the extra banana slices in a pan with some caramel sauce for about 1 minute for extra flavor).
French toast is best fresh, but leftovers will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 2 days and can be reheated gently in the microwave before serving.
Adapted from Taste of Home
More brunch recipes: