Strawberry French Toast Bake – Overnight Casserole – the perfect make-ahead breakfast for Mother’s Day or any special weekend brunch. Best of all, it’s easy to make ahead the night and is full of sweet strawberries and cream cheese. Plus recipe video.
- Blueberry cream cheese french toast bake
- Mixed berry french toast
- Banana pecan streusel french toast bake
- Caramel Apple Streusel French Toast Bake
- Gluten Free Blueberry French Toast Casserole
French Toast Bakes are super easy to assemble the night before and are always a hit with my family.
Our latest version was this Overnight Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast Bake. My kiddos are big berry monsters and always get so excited whenever we make this.
This Overnight Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast Bake would be amazing if you have family coming over. They are seriously going to love waking up to this in the morning.
Plus, you can’t beat how easy it is to make ahead the night before too.
If you have lots of fresh juicy strawberries, this french toast bake would be perfect. You can even use frozen if that’s what you have on hand.
The sweet berries go so well with the brown sugar streusel topping and soft cream cheese filling. If you’re not a fan of cream cheese, you can certainly leave the filling out if you prefer.
When you’re ready to serve, just top with your favorite syrup and more fresh berries.
Make ahead tips for this Overnight Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast Bake
- Slice the strawberries ahead of time
- Cut the bread in advance
- Mix the egg and milk mixture the night before
- prepare the streusel topping the night before and store in the fridge
- Assemble the night before and park it in the fridge overnight to soak up all that goodness
HEALTHIER SWAPS FOR THIS FRENCH TOAST BAKE:
- for gluten free – I usually use 2 Udi’s french baguette loaves and they work great
- for lower carb – use DAY OLD homemade low carb / keto bread
- use coconut sugar or erythritol for the streusel and sub in Sugar Free Maple Syrup (like Monk Fruit Syrup or Sukrin Fiber Syrup )in place of the maple syrup and brown sugar
- leave out the cream cheese and use almond milk for a dairy free version
Overnight Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast Bake + Recipe VIDEO!
- 1 16 ounce 450 g loaf of French bread or sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes with the ends discarded , use gluten free or day old low carb almond flour bread if necessary
- 1/2 cup cream cheese softened (optional - leave out if preferred)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup OR honey , divided (can also swap in your favorite sugar free Maple Syrup or Sukrin Syrup for low carb)
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups sliced strawberries ,divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk , I used almond
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar OR coconut sugar optional - add if you like your french toast sweeter - I left it out since we usually drizzle with maple syrup once baked
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Streusel Topping:
- 1/3 cup gluten free 1-1 flour or All purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar OR coconut sugar (for low carb use erythritol or monk fruit)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cold and cubed
- Optional Toppings:
- maple syrup OR low carb Monkey Fruit maple syrup
- more fresh berries
- whipped cream
- powdered sugar
- Make the streusel topping: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon together. Cut in the cubed butter with a pastry blender or two forks. Set aside in the fridge.
- For the casserole Lightly grease a 9x9-inch square baking dish or 2.5 quart casserole dish.
In a medium bowl, mix the softened cream cheese with 1 tablespoon of the maple syrup. Arrange half of the bread cubes in the bottom of the baking dish. Drop spoonfuls of the softened cream cheese over the bread and top with half of the berries.
- Layer with remaining bread cubes on top.
In a large bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, maple syrup (add brown sugar here if using) and vanilla.
- Pour evenly over bread cubes. Press the bread cubes slightly down to absorb the milk/egg mixture.
Top evenly with remaining berries. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the berries. Cover pan with foil. Allow to chill in refrigerator for an hour or overnight.
- When ready to bake, remove french toast from fridge. Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 23-26 minutes or until fluffy and golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm with syrup and additional toppings if desired.
Looking for more make-ahead breakfast recipes?