Chocolate Mint Chip Cupcakes are the perfect treat for the holidays. Soft and fluffy chocolate mint chip cupcakes, sandwiched with a creamy mint frosting and topped with Oreo cookie crumbs.
I wanted to dress them up in a fun way for the guest of honor, so I sliced the cupcakes in half, spread a layer of mint frosting in the middle, piped rosettes on top and finished them off with a sprinkle of crushed Oreo crumbs. Plus who can say no to double the frosting?
The cupcake batter is the same base I used for my Peppermint Eggnog Cupcakes with mint chocolate chips baked inside. They bake up soft and fluffy with a hint of peppermint extract and compliment the rich chocolate flavor nicely.
A generous swirl of creamy mint frosting resembling the beloved ice cream flavor gets piped on and some crushed Oreo cookie crumbs ties everything together.
They are fun and easy to whip up and make a cute and festive treat for the holidays.
- 3/4 cup flour spoon & sweep method
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup mint chocolate chips I used Hershey's
- crushed Oreo cookie crumbs for topping (optional)
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt optional
- green food coloring if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
- Make the cupcakes: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt together.
- In the bowl of stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat together the egg, milk, oil, peppermint, and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture and beat on medium speed with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue mixing on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir boiling water into batter until well combined. Fold in mint chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter equally into prepared muffin tin filling to about three-quarters full. Bake for 17-19 minutes or tops are firm and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean Remove pan from oven and allow cupcakes to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: Beat softened butter with a hand or stand mixer on medium speed. Beat for about 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Add vanilla, peppermint extract and heavy cream and mix until smooth.
- If necessary, add more heavy cream or powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- To assemble, cut each cupcake in half horizontally. Spread an even layer of frosting on the bottom of the cupcake. Replace top of cupcake over the frosting, pushing down slightly to flatten. Pipe more frosting on top of the cupcake and sprinkle with crushed Oreo cookies if desired. Serve immediately
Cupcakes adapted from Hershey's
More chocolate treats:
Beeta @ Mon Petit Four -
Yummy!! Mint and chocolate are one of my favorite combos, and these cupcakes are so pretty! I love that you infused some peppermint in there, and I also love the way you split the cupcakes to sandwich in more frosting – genius! <3
You just can’t go wrong with mint and chocolate especially when you make it into a cupcake.