This Avocado Chocolate Pudding is rich, creamy and super easy to make with just 4- ingredients. A healthy dessert that tastes so delicious and decadent that you won’t even be able to tell it’s made with dairy-free ingredients that are vegan, paleo with a low carb keto option.
Healthy Vegan Chocolate Pudding Recipe
Looking for a healthy yet tasty dessert when that chocolate craving hits? This easy Avocado Chocolate Pudding tastes just like that classic chocolate pudding from your childhood. Instead of eggs, milk or sugar, our healthy chocolate pudding is entirely dairy-free and refined sugar-free!
It’s rich, smooth, chocolatey and you won’t even be able to tell that it’s made with avocado, milk or thickeners!
Why you’ll love this homemade chocolate pudding
The best part about this avocado chocolate pudding is how simple it is to make!
Only a handful of ingredients to make your own chocolate pudding from scratch and perfect for Valentine’s Day or any time you’re craving a rich and decadent chocolate dessert!
Our creamy chocolate pudding is vegan, refined sugar-free, paleo and gluten free! You can easily use your preferred sugar free sweetener if you want to make a low carb or keto chocolate pudding.
Perfect for Valentine’s Day or any time you’re craving a rich, creamy and decadent chocolate treat without the guilt!
Health Benefits of Avocados
Love avocados, well you are in luck! Did you know that raw avocados are full of healthy fats, vitamins (vitamin K C, E +), folate, minerals, fiber and phytonutrients? You can read more about the health benefits HERE
How do you choose the best avocado for guacamole?
The key to an amazing tasting guacamole starts with a rip avocado. If you choose one that is under-ripe, it will be hard and inedible. And if you choose one that is too ripe, it will be mushy and brown.
- The best way to start your search is to look out for the darker avocados and give it a gentle squeeze. If it’s not too hard and gives a little without feeling too hollow or mushy than chances are you’ve found a good one.
- Next, take a look under the stem. If it looks green, then 99% you’ve got a good one. If it looks brown then it’s past its prime.
Ingredients you need
All you need are just a handful of ingredients to make this rich and creamy chocolate pudding.
For the creamy chocolate mousse
- Avocado – be sure to use avocados that are really ripe in order to get that creamy luscious texture.
- Cacao Powder – adds that rich chocolatey flavor. If you don’t have cacao powder, you may also use unsweetened cocao powder.
- Maple syrup – our favorite unrefined sugar for some natural sweetness. You can also sub with sugar-free maple syrup, yacon syrup or your preferred liquid sweetener of choice to make this low carb or keto. Agave, date syrup or honey work if not vegan.
- Vanilla Extract – enhances the flavor. If you can, I would recommend using a high quality pure vanilla extract – it really makes a difference when it comes to no bake desserts.
- Fine sea salt – just a pinch helps bring out the flavor and balances out the sweetness.
- Grated dark chocolate
- Vegan whipped cream
- Strawberries or any berries you like: raspberries would be a delicious option
How to make Avocado Chocolate Pudding
My favorite part about making this chocolate pudding is how simple everything comes together. You’ll throw all the ingredients into a food processor and you’re good to go!
- BLEND THE INGREDIENTS: Add all the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth. You may need to scrape the sides down a couple of times to ensure it is fully combined.
- TRANSFER TO SERVING BOWLS: Divide the mixture into small glasses or bowls and chill in the fridge for an hour to set.
- ADD TOPPINGS: Top with toppings of choice and enjoy!
Tips for success
- Use ripe avocados: Be sure to use an avocado that is perfectly ripe. If your avocado is underripe, it will be harder to blend and won’t turn into a creamy consistency. If your avocado is overripe with brown streaks or spots, it won’t taste as good and will have a bitter flavor with a subtle scent.
- Adjust sweetener and cacao powder to taste: Depending on your avocado, you may have to use more or less sweetener or cacao powder. Use your judgement.
- Chill: Be sure to chill your pudding for at least an hour or until set before serving.
Storage and freezer instructions
This dairy free chocolate pudding has the best flavor when it’s freshly made on the first day but also works great if you have leftovers.
How to store avocado pudding: Store any leftover chocolate pudding in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
How to freeze paleo pudding: To freeze this healthy chocolate avocado pudding, you can divide the mixture into ice cube trays or popsicle moulds.
Have a bunch of avocados to use up? Here are more avocado recipes you will love:
This Avocado Chocolate Pudding is rich, creamy and super easy to make with just 4- ingredients. A healthy dessert that tastes so delicious and decadent that you won't even be able to tell it's made with healthy, dairy-free ingredients that are vegan, paleo with a low carb keto option.
- 2 very ripe medium avocados , be sure your avocado is not overly ripe or underripe
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ⅓ cup maple syrup OR sub with sugar-free maple syrup, coconut nectar syrup, date syrup, yacon syrup or preferred liquid sweetener for low carb / keto
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Dark chocolate grated
- Vegan whipped cream
Add all the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth.
You may need to scrape the sides down a couple of times to ensure it is fully combined. Taste and adjust sweetener and cacao powder as needed.
Divide the mixture into small glasses or bowls and chill in the fridge for an hour to set.
Top with optional toppings and enjoy.
Photo Credit: The photos in this blog post were taken by Tamsin of Cupful of Kale