This Carrot Cake Oatmeal recipe is the perfect hearty and healthy breakfast. Best of all, it’s loaded with grated carrots, coconut milk and topped with nuts, shredded coconut and dried fruit – all the flavors you love in carrot cake.
Photos updated March 2017
Is breakfast your favorite meal? It’s definitely ours around here.
Especially when it involves anything with oats. So a few weeks ago I decided to spice up my plain batch of oatmeal I usually make every morning.
My husband loves carrot cake and since Easter is just around the corner, I figured it was the best time to switch things up.
This Carrot Cake Oatmeal is just perfect for those of you that are carrot cake fans. It’s healthy, hearty, comforting and totally delicious. We are seriously obsessed and if you guys love carrot cake as much as we do, you guys have to try this! If you’re a big oatmeal or carrot cake fanatic you definitely have to try this!
It has all the things you love about carrot cake packed into the goodness of a nutritious bowl of oatmeal.
Add your favorite toppings for this Carrot Cake Oatmeal:
You can’t beat how easy this is to customize depending on what you have on hand. I used:
- chopped walnuts
- shredded carrots
- shredded and toasted coconut chips.
Feel free to throw in all the common add-ins for carrot cake or switch things up to your liking.
This oatmeal is loaded with nutrients and will keep you full for hours – which is perfect for any busy person on the go.
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk can also use almond milk or any milk
- 1/4 cup water or more depending on how thick you like your oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup grated carrots about 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats use gluten free oats if necessary
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut divided for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans divided
- dried raisins
- toasted coconut chips
- chopped walnuts or pecans
- In a medium sized pot over medium heat, combine the milk, water, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- Stir in the grated carrots and oats. Lower heat if mixture starts to boil.
- Cook for about 12-14 minutes (depending on how thick you like the oats and the brand), stirring frequently. When the mixture has thickened up, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, maple syrup, half of the shredded coconuts and half of the nuts.
- Remove from heat and portion into bowls. Top the oatmeal with the remaining pecans, currants and shredded coconut and more coconut milk or maple syrup if desired. Sprinkle with more cinnamon and top with raisins and toasted coconut chips, if desired.
More Breakfast Ideas:
Interested in more Breakfast Oat recipes? Check out
Chris @ Shared Appetite -
This is super creative! Love the idea of turning carrot cake into oatmeal!! Such a great breakfast idea!!
I just finished up some oatmeal this morning. Now I’m ready to make your yummy version!!!
Nami | Just One Cookbook -
Happy Belated Birthday to your son! My daughter turned 6 last week too! Time flies… Love the healthy oatmeal. Despite that you have a baby, you’re amazing making homemade stuff! 🙂