These Corn Fritters are deliciously crispy featuring gluten-free flour, fresh corn kernels, and a blend of savory spices and the perfect way to use up summer corn. They make a delectable snack or appetizer and you can enjoy crispy perfection with three cooking methods – skillet, air fryer and oven.
Updated August 2023
Corn Fritters: A Delightful Duo of Skillet and Air Fryer Goodness
If you’re on the hunt for a scrumptious snack or a satisfying side dish, look no further than these delectable Corn Fritters. Bursting with fresh flavors and delightful textures, these crispy fritters come in not one, but three irresistible cooking methods – skillet, air fryer and oven.
Whether you’re craving a crispy skillet-cooked treat or the healthier, air-fried or baked version, these fritters with their golden exteriors, tender interiors, and bursts of sweet corn flavor, are bound to become a favorite go-to snack or side dish.
Ingredient You’ll Need
- Gluten-Free Oat Flour (or Substitutable Flour): This serves as the base of the batter, providing a gluten-free alternative that binds the fritters together.
- Tapioca Starch (or Corn Starch): Adding a touch of starch ensures that the fritters achieve that coveted crispy exterior while remaining tender on the inside.
- Baking Powder: This essential leavening agent helps the fritters puff up and become light and airy.
- Garlic Powder and Onion Powder: Elevate the flavor profile with aromatic depth and a subtle savory twist.
- Fine Sea Salt and Pepper: The duo enhances overall taste and helps balance the flavors in the fritters.
- Fresh Corn Kernels (or Substitutes): The star of the show, these vibrant kernels provide sweetness and a delightful crunch.
- Green Onions: Adding a burst of color and a mild oniony flavor, green onions contribute to both taste and aesthetics.
- Egg: Acts as a binding agent, helping to hold the fritters together. Use a flax egg, chia egg or whipped aquafaba or preferred egg-substitutee for a a plant-based / vegan version.
- Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk: This dairy-free option adds moisture to the batter and contributes to the tender texture.
- Avocado Oil (or High-Heat Oil): Used for frying in the skillet, this oil imparts a rich flavor and ensures crispy edges.
- Avocado Oil Spray (or Cooking Oil Spray): A healthier alternative for air frying, this spray assists in achieving a crispy exterior.
How to make Corn Fritters
Skillet Method: Sizzle and Sear
- Mix Dry Ingredients: Whisk together flour, starch, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Incorporate Wet Ingredients: Stir in corn, green onions, egg, and almond milk until well combined.
- Fry with Finesse: Heat a skillet, add oil, and drop batter mounds. Flatten and cook until the fried corn fritters are golden and crispy.
Air Fryer Method: Healthier Crunch
- Preheat and Prep: Preheat the air fryer and spray the basket with oil. Shape and place batter mounds on the basket.
- Crisp to Perfection: Air fry the fritters, flipping and spraying halfway through, until the air fryer corn fritters achieve a beautiful golden hue.
Oven Method: Bake until golden
- Prepare for baking: Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add to a baking sheet: Place the corn fritters in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Cook: Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden and crispy, carefully flipping each fritter halfway through.
Tips for Success
- Balancing Consistency: Adjust the flour or almond milk to achieve the ideal batter consistency – not too soggy, not too dry.
- Flattening Fritters: Use a spatula or the back of a spoon to gently press down on the fritters while cooking. This promotes even cooking and optimal crispiness.
- Temperature Awareness: Ensure your skillet or air fryer is properly preheated. Proper temperature is key to achieving those perfect golden results.
Serving Suggestions and Variations
- Sour cream: Top these golden beauties with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of green onion, and you’ve got a plate of Corn Fritters ready to impress. The creaminess of the sour cream complements the crispy fritters, while the fresh green onion adds a delightful pop of color and zing.
- Dipping Delights: Besides sour cream, try dipping your fritters in guacamole, salsa, or even a tangy yogurt-based sauce.
- Cheese Lover’s Twist: Add shredded cheese to the batter for an ooey-gooey surprise in every bite.
- Spice It Up: Incorporate diced jalapeños or red pepper flakes for an extra kick.
Storing and Freezing
Got leftovers? Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
For freezing, arrange cooled fritters in a single layer on a baking sheet, freeze until solid, then transfer to a freezer-safe container.
Reheat in the oven or air fryer for a crispy revival.
More Healthy Corn Recipes
These Corn Fritters are deliciously crispy featuring gluten-free flour, fresh corn kernels, and a blend of savory spices and the perfect way to use up summer corn. They make a delectable snack or appetizer and you can enjoy crispy perfection with three cooking methods - skillet, air fryer and oven.
- ½ cup gluten-free oat flour , can also sub with gluten-free 1-1 baking flour such as Bob’s Red Mill
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch or arrowroot starch , corn starch works too
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 ½ cups fresh corn kernels can also sub with thawed frozen corn or rinsed and drained canned corn
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 large egg lightly beaten - Use a flax egg, chia egg or whipped aquafaba or preferred egg-substitutee for a a plant-based / vegan version.
- ¼ cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- Avocado oil or neutral high-heat oil for frying
- Avocado oil spray or cooking oil spray of choice for air fryer
- Sour cream dairy-free or regular or preferred dipping sauce
- Thinly sliced green onions
Mix the dry ingredients: In a large bowl, add the flour, starch, baking powder, seasonings, salt and black pepper and whisk until combined.
Add the wet ingredients: Stir in the corn and green onions. Then add the egg and almond milk and mix until combined. (If the batter seems too soggy, add a little bit more flour. If the batter seems too dry, add a little bit more milk.)
Skillet Method: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add in enough oil so that a thin layer coats the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot (working in batches as needed), use a ¼ cup measuring cup, a large scoop or a spoon to scoop out 3 1/2 tablespoon sized mounds and gently place into the hot pan (you should hear a nice sizzle when you drop the batter in). Using a small spatula or the back of a spoon, gently press down on each fritter to flatten slightly and shape the edges into a round circle. Cook the fritters 2-3 minutes on each side, or until they're golden and crispy. Remove the fritters from the pan and place them on a paper towel to soak up any extra oil and repeat with any remaining batter.
Air Fryer Method: If your air fryer requires preheating, preheat to 380 F. Spray the basket with oil spray. Use a ¼ cup measuring cup, a large scoop or a spoon to scoop out 3 1/2 tablespoon sized mounds of the mixture and place onto the air fryer basket. Use the back of a spoon to gently flatten and shape the mounds into rounds. Spray the tops of the fritters with oil spray. Air fryer for 8 minutes. Open the basket, use a small spatula to carefully flip each fritter and spray each fritter with oil spray. Continue cooking for 7-10 more minutes, or until golden and crispy.
Oven Method: Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the corn fritters in a single layer on the baking sheet. Spray each corn fritter with oil spray.
Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden and crispy, carefully flipping each fritter halfway through and spraying with oil spray.
Serve: Add a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of green onion and serve warm.
Disclaimer: This updated post was generated in August, 2023 by ChatGPT, an AI language model, and all info should be reviewed and validated by a human for accuracy and relevancy before implementation.