Tex Mex Chicken Salad – a quick, low carb and healthy lunch or dinner made with tender and juicy chicken, bell peppers and avocado. Best of all, comes together in about 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights.
Giant loaded salads are one of my favorite things to make. This Low Carb Tex Mex Chicken Salad makes a filling lunch or light dinner and it’s perfect any time you want to have your own Mexican fiesta.
The chicken and vegetables come together in one pan in under 30 minutes and you can easily customize the veggies with what you have on hand.
HOW TO MAKE THIS TEX MEX CHICKEN SALAD:
- First, you’re going to season the chicken with a homemade Tex-Mex inspired seasoning. It’s a blend of chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and salt. Or if you already have a favorite brand of fajita seasoning, you can certainly use that instead to cut down on prep time.
- Add the chicken to a large zip-top bag and pour in some olive oil and fresh lime juice. Seal and press the bag down so the flavors meld into the chicken.
- Slice up the onions and peppers and fry them up in your skillet.
- Brown the chicken and serve over some lettuce with some avocado slices, cilantro and your favorite toppings.
This Low Carb Tex Mex Chicken Salad can also be made ahead of time for meal prep Sunday.
Divide everything out into lunch containers (shown below with cauliflower rice) to enjoy them throughout the week. Pack the lettuce separately in a ziptop bag on the side so they stay nice and fresh until you are ready to enjoy.
More recipes you might like:
Tex Mex Chicken Salad – a quick, simple and healthy lunch or dinner made with tender and juicy chicken, bell peppers and fresh lime.
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard OR 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard paleo/keto brand as necessary
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 medium chicken breasts pounded to even thickness
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 4 medium bell peppers thinly sliced into strips
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced into strips
- 2-3 butter lettuce leaves
- 2-3 romaine lettuce leaves
- For serving:
- lime wedges
- sliced avocado
In a resealable small jar, combine all the ingredients for the seasonings. Seal and shake well. Reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons for the bell peppers.
In a large resealable bag, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, lime juice and 5 teaspoons of the fajita seasonings. Add the chicken to the bag and seal. Press the marinade into the chicken and allow to marinate while you prepare the vegetables (or chill in the refrigerator until ready to use).
- Slice the the onions and bell peppers.
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and allow to cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until softened and fragrant. Add the bell peppers and sprinkle with the reserved 1 1/2 teaspoons of fajita seasonings. If you like the peppers with a nice crunch - cook for about 3-5 minutes. And if you like them softer, leave them on for about 2-3 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter on the same skillet and brown the chicken. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until cooked through.
Arrange the lettuce in a large salad bowl or plate, top with chicken and bell peppers. Add sliced avocados, lime wedges and any other toppings of your choice.