Tex Mex Chicken Salad – a quick, low carb and healthy lunch or dinner made with tender and juicy chicken, bell peppers and a fresh lime. Best of all, comes together in about 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights.
Fajitas are a favorite at our house.
Since we are trying to have more low carb / keto-friendly options here, we’re going to swap out the flour tortillas and serve over a bed of romaine and butter lettuce drizzled with some cilantro lime vinaigrette.
This Low Carb Tex Mex Chicken Salad makes a filling lunch or light dinner and it’s perfect any time you want to have your own Mexican fiesta.
The chicken and vegetables come together in one pan in under 30 minutes. They are full of flavor and seriously so simple to make. The best part is, that you can easily customize the veggies with what you have on hand.
HOW TO MAKE THIS TEX MEX CHICKEN SALAD:
- The chicken is seasoned with a homemade Tex-Mex inspired seasoning mix and some fresh lime.
- Slice up the onions and peppers and fry them up in your skillet. For these chicken fajitas, we used a mix of red, orange, yellow and red bell peppers but you can use any combination of peppers you have on hand. I also sliced up a red onion to brighten things up even more!
- Brown the chicken and serve over some lettuce with sliced avocado and drizzle the remaining cilantro chili lime marinade.
This Low Carb Tex Mex Chicken Salad can also be made ahead of time for meal prep Sunday.
Divide everything out into lunch containers (shown below with cauliflower rice) to enjoy them throughout the week. Pack the lettuce separately in a ziptop bag on the side so they stay nice and fresh until you are ready to enjoy.
More recipes you might like:
Tex Mex Chicken Salad
Tex Mex Chicken Salad – a quick, simple and healthy lunch or dinner made with tender and juicy chicken, bell peppers and fresh lime.
For the fajita seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
For the fajitas:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard OR 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard paleo/keto brand as necessary
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1½ pounds chicken thighs sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 4 medium bell peppers seeded and thinly sliced I used red, yellow, orange and green
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 2-3 butter lettuce leaves
- 2-3 romaine lettuce leaves
- For serving:
- lime wedges
- sliced avocado
FOR MEAL PREP: lunch containers
- Combine all the ingredients for the fajita seasonings. Reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons for the bell peppers.
In a large zip-top bag, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, lime juice, mustard and 5 teaspoons of the fajita seasonings. Add the chicken to the bag and seal. Press bag to seal in the flavors. Allow to sit while you prepare the vegetables (or chill in the refrigerator until ready to use).
- Slice the the onions and bell peppers.
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a 12" skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and allow to cook for about 4-5 minutes, or until softened and fragrant. Add the bell peppers and sprinkle with the reserved 1 1/2 teaspoons of fajita seasonings. If you like the peppers with a nice crunch - cook for about 3-5 minutes. And if you like them softer, leave them on for about 3 minutes longer. Transfer and set aside on a plate.
Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter on the same skillet and brown the chicken. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until cooked through.
Arrange the lettuce in a large salad bowl or plate, top with chicken and bell peppers. Top with sliced avocados, lime wedges and any other toppings of your choice.