Three ingredient peanut butter cookies with a smooth and delicious cream cheese frosting. These Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies are perfect for peanut butter lovers.
These classic cookies are soft and chewy and slightly underbaked is just how I like them. They melt in your mouth on the inside and have slightly crispy edges.
The frosting can be made ahead of time or make it while the cookies are cooling. Just be sure to set out your butter from the fridge ahead of time so it’s nice and soft and ready to go.
They are great to whip up in a pinch when you need a quick dessert or treat to bring to a party, and are a hit with kids and adults alike.
- 1 cup peanut butter*
- 3/4 cup sugar plus extra for dipping if desired
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract optional
- 1/2 cup butter softened to room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Beat the egg, peanut butter, and sugar together until well blended and slightly fluffy.
- Form dough into 1 tablespoon size balls onto a cookie sheet, leaving about 2 inches between cookies.
- Using a fork (you can dip it in sugar beforehand), flatten the cookies a bit making a crisscross pattern on the top.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let the cookies rest for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before filling.
- In a stand mixer or using your hand mixer, cream softened butter on medium speed for 4 minutes, until light and fluffy. Slowly add powdered sugar, vanilla and whipping cream and beat on low until combined. Turn mixer back to medium and beat for an additional 2 minutes. Add more whipping cream if desired to reach desired consistency.
- Once the cookies have cooled, evenly distribute the frosting on the flat side of half of the cookies. Place the other half of the cookies, flat side down, on top of the frosting.
Jif, Skippy, Peter Pan, etc.peanut butter work best with this recipe.
More peanut butter: