I am a sucker for anything with coconut and almonds so I decided to add the classic Almond Joy candy bar flavors to a simple red velvet cake. The results were these totally decadent and indulgent bars.
They start with your favorite red velvet cake mix that you whip up with a few simple ingredients. The soft dough is layered with shredded coconut and sweet chocolate chips. A mixture of shredded coconut, almond slivers and sweetened condensed milk tops off the cooled bars.
Sprinkle with almond slices, chocolate chips and toasted coconut.
Red Velvet meets Almond Joy in gooey cake bars makes these the ultimate decadent treat for Valentine’s Day!
- 1 box red velvet cake mix I used Betty Crocker
- 1/2 cup butter softened to room temperature
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 14-ounce sweetened condensed milk
- 2-1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut divided
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- slivered almonds
- toasted coconut
- chocolate chips
- sprinkles if desired
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 9x9 square pan with parchment paper or a lightly greased sheet of foil with a slight overhang. Set aside
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cake mix, softened butter, egg and vanilla extract until a soft dough forms. Press the dough into prepared pan. The dough will be sticky so it will help to use an angled spatula to spread evenly and flat. Sprinkle the top with 1/2 cup of shredded coconut and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 27-30 minutes or until the top is completely baked. Allow to cool completely before frosting and cutting.
- Meanwhile, mix together the remaining 2 cups of coconut, almond slivers, and sweetened condensed milk. Spread evenly over cooled bars.
- Top with almond slices, toasted coconut, and chocolate chips. Place in the fridge to allow coconut layer to set for at least 30 minutes. Lift cake out of pan using the overhang and slice into bars. Garnish with sprinkles if desired. Makes around 16 squares.
Originally shared at Mandy’s Recipe Box
Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later! -
Wow! The combination of flavors in these bars sounds incredible!
Thanks Amber! They were totally decadent but so good 🙂
Andrea @ Chocolate & Sea Salt -
Candy bar flavors all twisted up into a yummy red velvet cake bar – SO FUN! I love it! Pinning now 🙂
What a fantastic red velvet treat! I love the almond joy topping. 🙂
Mariah @ Mariah's Pleasing Plates -
Kelly these bars look amazing! I want one right now!!! Pinned! So creative! Love it!
The Squishy Monster -
I have absolutely no qualms with you sneaking in more red velvet treats…yours are always popping out of the screen begging for me to grab a bite!