This mouthwatering Slow Cooker Meatloaf combines juicy ground beef and turkey, flavorful herbs, and a tangy sauce. This comforting dish is easy to make and perfect for busy days or when you’re craving a comforting homemade meal.
Updated June 2023
Slow Cooker Meatloaf Recipe: A Flavorful and Easy Comfort Food
Are you craving a delicious and hassle-free meal that fills your home with mouthwatering aromas? Look no further than this slow cooker meatloaf. With a perfect blend of ground beef and turkey, enhanced by a flavorful sauce, this dish will become a family favorite in no time. Whether you’re a busy parent, a cooking novice, or simply looking for a comforting meal, this recipe is sure to impress. So, let’s dive in and discover how to create this savory masterpiece.
Plus, this fuss-free dish is perfect for busy weeknights or lazy Sundays when you want to enjoy a comforting homemade meal without spending hours in the kitchen. Embrace the simplicity and deliciousness of this recipe and create a satisfying dinner that will have everyone asking for seconds.
By understanding the role of each ingredient, you can appreciate how they come together to create a flavorful and satisfying slow cooker meatloaf.
- Eggs: Beaten eggs act as a binding agent, helping to hold the meatloaf together.
- Ground Beef: Ground beef provides a rich and hearty flavor to the meatloaf.
- Ground Turkey: Combining ground turkey with ground beef adds a leaner option while still maintaining moistness and enhancing the overall taste.
- Tomato Paste: Tomato paste adds depth and richness to the meatloaf, enhancing its savory flavor.
- Dijon Mustard: Dijon mustard contributes a tangy and slightly spicy element to the meatloaf, elevating its taste.
- Sweetener (Golden Monk Fruit, Coconut Sugar, or Brown Sugar): The sweetener balances the flavors in the meatloaf and adds a touch of sweetness to counter the savory ingredients.
- Almond Flour (or Finely Crushed Pork Rinds): Almond flour or crushed pork rinds serve as a low-carb alternative to breadcrumbs, helping to bind the meatloaf together and provide a desirable texture.
- Dried Thyme and Marjoram: These dried herbs infuse the meatloaf with aromatic and earthy notes, enhancing its overall flavor profile.
- Salt and Pepper: Salt and pepper season the meatloaf, ensuring it is well-seasoned and flavorful.
- Fresh Parsley: Chopped fresh parsley adds freshness and a hint of herbaceousness to the meatloaf.
- Celery: Diced celery adds a subtle crunch and mild flavor to the meatloaf, enhancing its texture and taste.
- Onion: Minced onion brings a savory and slightly sweet flavor to the meatloaf, contributing to its overall depth.
- Garlic: Minced garlic adds a robust and aromatic element, enhancing the savory notes of the meatloaf.
- Sugar-Free Ketchup: Using sugar-free ketchup reduces the overall sugar content of the sauce while still providing a rich and tangy tomato base.
- Sweetener (Golden Monk Fruit, Coconut Sugar, or Brown Sugar): Similar to the meatloaf, the sweetener in the sauce balances the flavors and adds a touch of sweetness to complement the other ingredients.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Worcestershire sauce imparts a savory and umami flavor to the sauce, enhancing its complexity.
- Red Wine Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar: The vinegar adds acidity to the sauce, balancing the sweetness and providing a bright tanginess.
- Dijon Mustard: Dijon mustard in the sauce contributes a tangy and slightly spicy flavor, complementing the other ingredients and enhancing the overall taste.
- Cayenne Pepper (Optional): Adding cayenne pepper to the sauce provides a hint of heat and adds a spicy kick for those who enjoy a bit of heat.
How to make Slow Cooker Meatloaf
Preparing the Sauce:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar-free ketchup, sweetener, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, mustard, and cayenne pepper until smooth. Set aside.
Making the Meatloaf:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the beaten eggs, ground beef, ground turkey, tomato paste, mustard, sweetener, almond flour, thyme, marjoram, salt, and pepper.
- Add the diced celery, minced parsley, onion, and garlic to the mixture.
- Use your hands to knead the ingredients together, ensuring they are evenly combined. Shape the mixture into a loaf.
Slow Cooking the Meatloaf:
- Line your slow cooker with a crockpot liner or 2 pieces of foil to create a sling for easier removal. Coat it with non-stick spray.
- Place the meatloaf into the slow cooker and brush a quarter to half of the sauce over the top and sides of the meat.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 40 minutes. Then, reduce the heat to low and continue cooking for an additional 2-3 hours, or until the meatloaf is thoroughly cooked with no pink remaining.
- Brush the meatloaf with more sauce and cook on high for another 10 minutes. Reserve the remaining sauce for serving.
- Allow the meatloaf to rest for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve it with additional sauce, if desired.
Tips for Success
- For a moist and flavorful meatloaf, combine ground beef and turkey. The combination of these meats adds depth to the dish.
- Kneading the ingredients together by hand ensures even distribution of flavors throughout the meatloaf.
- Lining your slow cooker with a crockpot liner or foil makes cleanup a breeze.
- Brushing the meatloaf with sauce during cooking infuses it with extra taste and creates a delicious glaze.
Storage and Freezer Instructions
- If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To freeze the meatloaf, allow it to cool completely, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil, and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Pair this delectable meatloaf with creamy mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables for a comforting and well-rounded meal.
- Alternatively, slice the meatloaf and use it to create hearty sandwiches or wraps. Add your favorite condiments and enjoy a tasty lunch.
Variations and Substitutions:
- Feel free to experiment with different herbs and spices to customize the flavor of your meatloaf. Consider adding dried rosemary or smoked paprika for an exciting twist.
- If you prefer a sweeter sauce, adjust the sweetener to your taste.
- For a gluten-free option, replace the almond flour with finely crushed pork rinds.
More delicious slow cooker recipes you will love:
This mouthwatering Slow Cooker Meatloaf combines juicy ground beef and turkey, flavorful herbs, and a tangy sauce. This comforting dish is easy to make and perfect for busy days or when you're craving a comforting homemade meal.
- 2 large eggs , beaten
- 2/3 lb ground beef
- 1/3 lb ground turkey
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon golden monk fruit sweetener OR coconut sugar / brown sugar if not low carb
- 1/4 cup super fine blanched almond flour , OR finely crushed pork rinds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley , finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery , diced
- 1/2 medium onion , minced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup sugar free ketchup , use Whole30 or low carb brand as needed)
- 1/4 cup golden monk fruit sweetener OR coconut sugar / brown sugar if not low carb
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce , (use Whole30 compliant as needed)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional or to taste
- In a small bowl whisk together the sugar free ketchup, sweetener, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, mustard and cayenne pepper until smooth. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, ground beef, ground turkey, tomato paste, mustard, sweetener, almond flour, thyme, marjoram, salt and pepper. Add the celery, parsley, onion and garlic.
- Using your hands knead the meat mixture to combine ingredients and shape into a loaf.
Line slow cooker with a crockpot liner or 2 pieces of foil to make a sling for easier removal. Coat with non-stick spray.
Place meat loaf into slow cooker and brush a quarter to half of the sauce over the top and sides of meat.
Cover and cook on high for 40 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cover and cook for another 2-3 hours or until cooked through and no pink remains in the meat.
- Brush with more sauce and cook on high for another 10 minutes. Reserve the rest of sauce for serving.
Let meat stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with more sauce if desired.
*Every slow cooker setting cooks at various temperatures so feel free to adjust the cooking time according to your manufacturer's suggestions.
Storage and Freezer Instructions
- How to store: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- How to freeze: Allow the meatloaf to cool completely, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil, and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Disclaimer: This updated post was generated on June 23, 2023 by ChatGPT, an AI language model, and all info should be reviewed and validated by a human for accuracy and relevancy before implementation.