Moist and easy chocolate mug cake is vegan made with fresh cherries, chocolate almond milk, salted caramel and NO eggs. Cooks up in just over a minute and perfect for those late night chocolate cravings.
One night after we put the kiddos to bed, he was looking around in the fridge and freezer hoping to find any leftovers from one of my baking escapades.
Nope. No luck. I had already given most of the desserts away at one of the barbecues we went to.
He had a rough day earlier at the office and as much as I felt bad for him I really didn’t feel like turning on the oven to whip up a cake since it was so hot that night.
This chocolate mug cake was the best way to whip up chocolate cake in a jiffy! It literally took about 5 minutes to put together, from start to finish and it totally satisfied that chocolate cake craving.
Since then I’ve been having fun testing out all sorts of different flavors and this Chocolate Cherry Mug Cake was the latest one.
This recipe makes the perfect single size cake which is key when you don’t want to have to worry about eating an entire cake.
My favorite part has to be the spoonful of vegan salted caramel — you can totally use your favorite caramel sauce or certainly or even add another flavor like melted chocolate, peanut butter or Nutella which would give it that extra special something that can’t be beat!
Be sure to place the mug on a small plate or wide bowl in case of spillage.
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 Teaspoon salt
- 5 Tablespoons chocolate milk I used Almond Breeze Chocolate Almond Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons oil grapeseed, canola or vegetable oil work best
- 3 sweet cherries pitted and chopped
- 1/2 Tablespoon caramel sauce, peanut butter, chocolate spread, or Nutella
*In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, sugar, and salt until combined. Do not mix directly in the mug! See notes.
- In a small measuring cup, whisk together the milk. vanilla extract and oil until combined. Pour over dry ingredients whisking well until batter is smooth. Gently fold in chopped cherries.
- Transfer batter into a microwave safe cup.
- Top the mug cake with a 1/2 tablespoon of salted caramel. No need to push down as it will sink once it's heated up.
**Place mug on a small plate or wide bowl (in case of spillage) and microwave on high for 70 seconds. Check on the cake to see that it's done. (You may need to microwave for less or an additional 5-10 seconds depending on how powerful your microwave is. See notes)
Allow the mug to rest for about 30 seconds before removing from the microwave.
- Serve with additional fruit or ice cream if desired..
* Mixing the batter in a separate bowl instead of directly in the mug is is completely necessary to ensure the batter cooks up evenly. I have tried many times mixing everything in the mug and there is usually some uncooked flour on the bottom.
** The cooking times may vary according to your microwave power. Watch carefully and add or decrease the time as needed.
Adapted from Dessert for Two
Thanks for reading Life Made Sweeter, you can also stay connected with me here:
Disclosure: This “Easy as Breeze” post is sponsored by Almond Breeze Almondmilk. All opinions are 100% my own.