This Vanilla Mug Cake bakes up in the microwave in less than one minute using simple pantry staples. It’s the perfect sugar-free, gluten-free, low carb, paleo vegan cake that will satisfy any sweet tooth craving!
Looking for an easy dessert to curb that sweet tooth craving now that January Whole30 is over? This keto vanilla mug cake recipe is ready in just 5 minutes using simple ingredients that you most likely already have in your pantry. It’s gluten free, low carb, sugar free, vegan and is the perfect healthy dessert recipe to have on regular rotation.
SO WHAT IS VANILLA MUG CAKE?
Vanilla mug cakes are what I like to call cake in a mug. They are single-serving cakes and are the quickest and easiest dessert you can make when you want vanilla cake in a jiffy.
They are perfect for Valentine’s Day or anytime you are craving something sweet after dinner and don’t want to bake an entire cake. All you need are a few simple pantry ingredients and less than 10 minutes from start to finish. And the great thing about this tasty vanilla mug cake recipe is that it’s practically no bake – just grab your favorite mug along with a spoon and you’re good to go!
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED:
Traditional mug cake recipes are made with a combination of all purpose flour, butter and granulated sugar.
Since we want to make our vanilla mug cake keto, you are going to need:
- Nut Butter: we like cashew butter for the best vanilla mug cake flavor and texture but you can also use almond butter, peanut butter, sun butter or tahini if you want a nut-free mug cake.
- Unsweetened applesauce: adds flavor & moisture without having to use an egg. You can also use pureed pumpkin OR half of a small ripe banana. coconut oil or grass-fed butter if you’re not dairy free.
- Lakanto sugar-free maple syrup: a low-glycemic sugar-free sweetener that resembles the taste of maple syrup but is keto-friendly and diabetic-friendly. You can also sub pure maple syrup for a paleo mug cake or if you are not low carb.
- Almond Milk: I use an unsweetened almond milk with no gums or fillers (Malk) to keep this vegan mug cake dairy-free. Feel free to use any other plant-based milk of your choice
- Superfine Blanched Almond Flour: I used almond flour for this vegan mug cake recipe and do not recommend swapping for coconut flour or any other flour.
- Just 2/3 tsp Baking powder: helps the mug cake rise.
- Vanilla extract, fine sea salt, cinnamon and sugar free chocolate chips (Lily’s): makes this easy vanilla mug cake tasty, delicious and brings out the flavors from all the other ingredients.
HOW TO MAKE KETO MUG CAKE:
In a large (14 oz) heat-safe mug or (12-14 oz) ramekin, use a small fork or whisk to combine the cashew butter, maple syrup, applesauce, almond milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Place mug on a small plate (in case of spillage) and microwave for about **65-75 seconds. Check on the cake to see that it’s done. (You may need to microwave for less or an additional 5-10 seconds depending on how powerful your microwave is.)
- Serve with coconut whipped cream, melted chocolate, berries or chopped nuts.
TYPE OF MUG TO USE
You want to use a large (14 oz) mug or (12 oz) ramekin to prevent overflowing as the cake will rise quite high during cooking before sinking back down.
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST KETO MUG CAKE:
- You should use a wide microwave-safe mug (14 oz) or 12 oz ramekin that can hold at least 12 oz of liquid. If you don’t have a large mug or ramekin – you can also place the mug on top of a plate in the microwave to catch any spillage
- Mix the batter well until there are no clumps
- The cook time will vary according to your microwave – check after 50 seconds then pop it back in the microwave in 10 second increments if not done – do not overcook or mug cake will be dry
- Lightly coat ramekin with ghee or baking spray if you want to bake the mug cake in the oven.
HOW DO YOU BAKE A CAKE IN A CUP?
TO MAKE YOUR VANILLA MUG CAKE IN THE OVEN:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix all the ingredients together in a medium bowl or measuring cup.
- Transfer the batter to a large 12 oz ramekin. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
CAN I BAKE A MUG CAKE IN A MICROWAVEABLE BOWL?
Yes, you can mix all the ingredients for this flourless mug cake in a microwaveable bowl or ramekin.
HOW MANY CARBS IN A VANILLA MUG CAKE?
The macros for one vegan mug cake is:
- 280 calories
- 4g NET Carbs = 10g Total Carbs – 6g Fiber
- 14g Protein
- 18g Fat
SUGAR FREE TOPPING IDEAS:
You can top your vanilla mug cake with:
- melted sugar free chocolate
- whip up some heavy cream to make whipped cream
- coconut whipped cream
- cream cheese frosting
- strawberries: fresh or freeze-dried
- mixed berries
- chopped nuts
More cake recipes:
This Vanilla Mug Cake bakes up in the microwave in just one minute with simple pantry staples. It's the perfect low carb, paleo vegan cake that will satisfy any sweet tooth craving!
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter , (can also sub with peanut butter, almond butter, tahini or sunbutter)
- 2 tablespoons Lakanto maple syrup OR pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce , (can sub with pureed pumpkin OR mashed banana)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk (I prefer using Malk as it adds creaminess without any gums or fillers)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4.5 tablespoons super-fine blanched almond flour (you can also sub with 2.5 Tablespoons coconut flour)
- 2/3 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Lily's no sugar-added chocolate chips OR chopped chocolate
- chopped nuts OR freeze-dried berries
In a large (14 oz) heat-safe mug or (12-14 oz) ramekin, use a small fork or whisk to combine the cashew butter, maple syrup, applesauce, milk and vanilla until smooth.
Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and stir until the batter is mixed together and has no clumps. Top with chocolate chips, if desired.
Place mug on a small plate (in case of spillage) and microwave for about **65-75 seconds. Check on the cake to see that it's done. (You may need to microwave for less or an additional 5-10 seconds depending on how powerful your microwave is.)
Serve with coconut whipped cream, melted chocolate, berries or chopped nuts.
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Lightly coat a large 12 oz ramekin and transfer batter into the ramekin. Bake for 11-14 minutes or until cake is set.
**The cook time will vary according to your microwave - check after 45 seconds then pop it back in the microwave in 10 second increments if not done - do not overcook or mug cake will be dry