This homemade Applesauce recipe is easy to make and only uses 5 ingredients! You can make it chunky, smooth or any way in between. Everyone will love this healthy and satisfying snack!
Easy Homemade Applesauce Recipr
Looking for an easy and delicious snack for fall? We make a batch of this apple butter, pumpkin butter and Homemade Applesauce every year. It’s just so simple, and my whole family goes crazy for it. It cooks on the stove in as little as 20 minutes and is the perfect way to use up some of those apples you picked from the apple orchard.
You only need one pot for this recipe, so there’s no need to spend a half hour doing the dishes. I love the flavor I get by adding cinnamon into my applesauce, but you can totally leave yours plain if you prefer. I recommend this recipe to anyone who’s looking for a quick and easy fall treat!
Why we love this easy apple recipe
- So easy to make with just 5 ingredients and the perfect healthy kid-friendly snack recipe
- There’s no refined sugar in this applesauce, and it’s also completely gluten-free, dairy-free and can easily be Whole30 compliant by leaving out the sweetener.
- If anyone in your family follows a vegan or paleo diet, this recipe will work for them too.
Which Apple Varieties Are Best?
Believe it or not, you want to use multiple varieties of apples for this recipe. You definitely need to have some sweet apples, but you should also throw a couple tart varieties in there too. Using different kinds of apples will give you the best flavor. Just be sure to use plenty of sweet apples, like Fuji or Granny Smith, so you’re not tempted to add in too much sweetener later.
This recipe uses basic everyday ingredients plus some apples and apple cider. Any sweeteners and spices can be adjusted to taste so it turns out exactly how you like it!
- Apples: You’ll need to use 8-10 peeled, cored and sliced apples.
- Apple Cider
- Lemon Juice: Use fresh lemon juice to get the best flavor.
- Vanilla Extract
- Ground Cinnamon
- Optional sweetener: Pure Maple Syrup, Coconut Sugar or your preferred sweetener. For sugar-free applesauce, use liquid monk fruit, yacon syrup or leave out for a Whole30 compliant option
How to Make Chunky Applesauce
You can make your applesauce as smooth or as chunky as you’d like. If you prefer chunky applesauce, here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Combine Ingredients: Add all the ingredients to a large pot or saucepan and stir well.
- Cook: Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the apples are well broken down.
- Adjust to Taste: Add more sweetener or spices, to taste, and serve or store your applesauce.
How to Make Smooth Applesauce
If you want your applesauce to be super smooth or just a little less chunky, there’s only one more step you have to take!
Blend: Use an immersion blender to puree the finished sauce. Alternatively, transfer it to a blender or food processor and blend until it reaches your desired consistency.
Wondering how to use up your homemade applesauce? Here are some of our favorite ways:
- On Top of Oatmeal: This is the ultimate oatmeal add-in. I’m obsessed with using it to make this Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal!
- In Baked Goods: Not only is applesauce a vegan egg substitute, but it also adds a ton of moisture into your baked goods. Just whip up these homemade Apple Muffins to find out!
- As a Snack or Side Dish: My favorite way it eat this applesauce is honestly by itself. It just has such a lovely apple cinnamon flavor, and it’s super refreshing. It’s a yummy snack or side dish for any savory dinner.
- In a Smoothie: Add it to a healthy breakfast smoothie!
- With Ice Cream: If you want a sweet, indulgent treat that you don’t have to feel guilty about eating, serve this applesauce over a scoop of creamy Vanilla Ice Cream.
How to Store Applesauce
Homemade applesauce should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It’s important that the container is well sealed so it keeps your applesauce fresh. It’ll stay good for 5-7 days if you store it properly.
Can You Freeze Applesauce?
This applesauce can be frozen for up to 2 months! Just let it cool completely before freezing it, and make sure it’s stored in an airtight container. When you’re ready to eat it, thaw it overnight in the fridge.
More apple recipes you will love:
This easy homemade Apple Sauce recipe only uses 6 ingredients! You can make it chunky, smooth or any way in between. Everyone will love this healthy and satisfying snack!
Add all the ingredients to a large pot or saucepan and stir well. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a simmer.
Simmer for 20-30 minutes, until apples are well broken down.
For a chunkier applesauce, serve as is. For a smoother version, use an immersion blender to puree or transfer to a blender or food processor. Add more sweetener or spices, to taste.
Store airtight in the fridge.