This Keto Ice Cream is made with just 5 ingredients and is the perfect low carb dessert for summer. It’s an easy no churn vanilla ice cream recipe that is sugar-free and easy to make with less than 10 minutes of prep. Includes dairy-free, vegan and paleo options.
An easy Keto Dessert
Looking for a delicious homemade ice cream recipe? This Keto Ice Cream is easy to make and the best part is you don’t even need an ice cream maker! It’s perfect when you’re craving a classic vanilla ice cream on a hot sunny day in July or even on the coldest day in the middle of February.
Why we love this keto vanilla ice cream recipe
This low carb ice cream is cool, creamy and the perfect sugar free dessert for cooling down on a hot summer day.
- it’s delicious and easy to make with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
- you only need 5 ingredients and less than 10 minutes of prep time
- this is a no churn recipe that doesn’t require an ice cream maker
- no eggs required or making a custard
- so simple to customize with different flavors
Why Make your Own Ice Cream?
With all the new keto products out there, I know it can be easy to grab a container of ice cream at the local grocery store, but nothing beats a scoop of homemade ice cream. Plus, storebosugh ice creams contain fillers and ingredients you can’t even pronounce. By making your own homemade keto ice cream, you can control the ingredients
And if you’re looking to switch things up from a classic keto vanilla ice cream, we have a few other healthy ice cream recipes like Keto Strawberry Ice Cream, two ingredient ice cream plus some other fun classics for the kids like funfetti and cookies and cream.
Can I have ice cream on a Keto diet?
Yes! If you are following a low carb or keto diet, it’s still possible to enjoy your favorite keto dessert when that ice cream craving hits.
Our keto ice cream recipe is made with low carb ingredients and a low glycemic sweetener that won’t raise your blood sugar level. Just as long as you aren’t eating the entire batch in one day, you won’t get kicked out of ketosis.
How many carbs are in Keto Ice Cream:
One serving of our low carb ice cream is only:
- 241 calories
- 2 grams of NET carbs
- 3 grams of protein
- 23 grams of fat
Ingredients you need to make sugar-free ice cream:
- Pure canned coconut cream (only use brands (like Trader Joe’s, Aroy-D) containing coconut milk & water – no Guar gum or other fillers or the ice cream will not turn out properly)
- Kite Hill’s Plain Cream Cheese – my favorite vegan cream cheese to keep this a dairy-free vanilla ice cream. If you are not dairy-free, feel free to use regular cream cheese.
- Lakanto powdered Monk fruit sweetener – is a low glycemic sweetener that resembles powdered or confectioner’s sugar. For strict paleo ice cream, use maple sugar, powdered coconut sugar or pure maple syrup. You may have to adjust the amount according to preferred sweetness.
- Vanilla bean paste (or good quality pure vanilla extract such as Nielsen Massey)
- Creamy cashew butter for a vegan ice cream recipe, if you are no dairy-free or vegan, you can use heavy cream / whipping cream (at least 35% fat) OR more canned
- OPTIONAL: vodka – this helps the ice cream stay smooth and creamy without getting hard but feel free to leave it out
How to make Keto Ice Cream
- BLEND IN HIGH-SPEED BLENDER: Start off by adding the canned coconut cream and cream cheese in a high-speed blender (a Blendtec or a Vitamix). Blend until smooth.
- ADD SWEETENER: Add low carb sweetener, vanilla paste (and vodka, if using) and blend until creamy.
- WHIP HEAVY CREAM: Meanwhile, add heavy whipping cream (or whipped coconut cream) to a large chilled bowl and whip until stiff peaks form. Fold into the blended coconut milk / vanilla mixture until just combined.
- POUR INTO CONTAINER: Transfer ice cream to a air-tight container or chilled loaf pan lined with parchment paper. (or if you have an ice cream maker – you can add the mixture to your ice cream maker and churn until smooth).
- FREEZE: Place in the freezer and give the ice cream a good stirring every 30 minutes for the first 2-3 hours (to avoid getting too icy – skip this step if you used an ice cream maker) then every hour or so for the next 2 hours.
- THAW BEFORE SERVING: Allow ice cream to sit out at room temperature for about 15 minutes to thaw out slightly before scooping.
I prefer to use Monk Fruit Sweetener in my low carb dessert recipes since I find it tastes the closest to actual sugar without upsetting my stomach or giving me that cooling effect.
Feel free to use your preferred sweetener of choice such as Swerve, Stevia or Erythritol.
Tips for making the best homemade keto ice cream
- use coconut cream without any added gums
- be sure to use cold heavy cream and beat until it reaches stiff peaks
- powdered sweetener such as monk fruit blends in much easier resulting in a creamier consistency
- add some vodka if possible to ensure the low carb ice cream doesn’t develop hard crystals & is creamy smooth
- give the no churn ice cream a good stir every 30 minutes so it gets super creamy & tastes just as decadent as regular ice cream
Flavor Variations and add-ins
- add some unsweetened cocoa powder or melted no sugar chocolate to make Keto Chocolate Ice Cream
- puree some fresh strawberries (or even raspberries and blueberries) to make Keto Strawberry Ice Cream
- have fun with mix-ins: sprinkle with fresh berries, chopped pecans, almonds or macadamia nuts
How to Store Keto Ice Cream:
Store your low carb ice cream in a freezer-friendly air tight container and cover with a lid or plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for at least 5 hours to overnight.
How to Thaw
You’re going to want to thaw it on the counter for at least 10-15 minutes prior to serving. Once you’ve got your serving of keto vanilla ice cream, place the lid back on the container and store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
DO YOU NEED EGGS TO MAKE KETO ICE CREAM?
No. Our sugar free ice cream recipe does not require eggs.
HOW DO YOU MAKE PALEO ICE CREAM?
To make paleo ice cream, dairy-free ice cream or vegan ice cream, simply swap the heavy cream for whipped coconut cream and the cream cheese for dairy free cream cheese such as Kite Hill.
DO YOU NEED AN ICE CREAM MAKER TO MAKE KETO ICE CREAM?
No. This no churn low carb ice cream recipe does not require an ice cream maker but you can use it if you prefer.
CAN I MAKE HOMEMADE KETO ICE CREAM IN AN ICE CREAM MAKER?
Yes. To make this low carb ice cream in an ice cream maker, just follow the same instructions up until step 4. Instead of pouring into the container, you would simply pour the ice cream into an ice cream maker and churn.
ARE HOMEMADE KETO ICE CREAM RECIPES BETTER THAN STORE-BOUGHT KETO ICE CREAMS?
You might be wondering with all the Keto Ice Cream brands you can find in the grocery store these days, why make a homemade keto ice cream and what are the best low carb ice creams?
Well, most keto ice creams you find in the store are still higher in carbs than our homemade ice cream which contains only 2 NET carbs per serving.
Store-bought keto ice creams area also high in cost for a small-sized container. Many brands – such as Halo Top and Enlightened are also filled with more than 5 ingredients and some of those are made with fillers, gums, syrups and sweeteners that may not agree with your body.
However, by making your own ice cream at home, you get to control the ingredients and the amount of sweetener you use.
Is Halo Top Ice Cream Low Carb?
According to Halo Top’s label, 1/2 cup contains 15 grams of Total Carbs, 3 grams of Fiber and 5 grams of Sugar Alcohol. To calculate the Net Carbs, it would be:
Total Carbs minus Fiber minus Sugar Alcohol giving you 7 NET Carbs per one 1/2 cup serving
Can you have Halo Top on Keto
Halo Top changed their ingredients recently and it includes Organic Cane Sugar which is a high glycemic sweetener. Just because the carbs are low, organic cane sugar can still kick you out of ketosis depending on how much you have.
More keto ice cream recipes:
This Keto Ice Cream is made with just 5 ingredients and is the perfect low carb dessert for summer. It's an easy no churn ice cream recipe that is sugar-free and easy to make with less than 10 minutes of prep.
- 1 1/2 cups (one 13.5 oz) chilled coconut cream , use only brands containing coconut milk + water with no other fillers - etc. Arroy-D, Trader Joe's
- 8 ounces Kite Hill's Plain Cream Cheese , If you are not dairy-free, feel free to use regular cream cheese.
- 2/3 cup creamy cashew butter , if you are not dairy-free, feel free to use heavy cream or whipping cream (at least 35% fat)
- 1/4 cup Lakanto powdered monk fruit sweetener , or powdered Swerve. For strict paleo, you sub with powdered maple sugar or pure maple syrup but may have to adjust the amount to your preferred sweetness.
- 1.5 teaspoons pure vanilla bean paste , (or 2 teaspoons high quality pure vanilla extract, such as Nielsen Massey)
- 1 teaspoon vodka , to help offset the ice cream from getting too hard & icy
In a high-speed blender, add the chilled coconut milk and cream cheese and blend until smooth.
Add the cashew butter, sweetener and vanilla paste (and vodka, if using) and blend again until creamy.
Scrape the ice cream into a freezer container. (If you have an ice cream maker - you can add the mixture to your ice cream maker and churn until smooth before adding into a freezer container).
Place container in the freezer and give the ice cream a good stirring every 30 minutes for the first 2-3 hours (to avoid getting too icy - skip if ice cream maker was used) then every hour or so for the next 2 hours.
- Allow ice cream to sit out at room temperature for about 15 minutes to thaw out slightly before scooping.
*Be sure to use full-fat canned coconut cream not lite or coconut milk beverage.
*If your ice cream is too hard to scoop, let it sit on the counter for about 15 minutes to soften. Adding vodka to the ice cream helps to offset some of the iciness.
Please note that nutrition facts were estimated for 1/3 cup. serving.