Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bars are the perfect no bake dessert for a hot summer day. They taste just like the classic Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream popsicles! An easy summer dessert idea with delicious layers of vanilla & strawberry ice cream, a crumbled Golden Oreo topping & no-bake cookie crust. Includes low carb / keto option plus recipe video!
Updated June 2019
AN EASY NO BAKE DESSERT IDEA FOR SUMMER
- Cake Batter
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Cookies and Cream
- Black Forest
- Strawberry Cheesecake
- Salted Caramel
- Vanilla you can have a different one for just about any day of the week!
One of my all-time favorite ice cream from my childhood, were these Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bars. Anyone else remember them?
They were seriously the best – I could never resist them! They had a bright strawberry center surrounded by vanilla ice cream and a strawberry crumb coating. OMG, so good!
And I’ve been dying to try to recreate them for the longest time!
Last month, I finally had a chance to remake my own homemade version of these nostalgic treats and even included options if you’re low carb or keto.
The ingredients are easy to find so you’re not running around a bazillion stores.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE ICE CREAM BARS:
(some affiliate links included)
- Start with a no-bake Golden Oreo (or any other vanilla sandwich – they even have these gluten-free ones if needed) cookie crust and press it firmly into a square pan. For a low carb / keto version, use Nui Snickerdoodle cookies or my keto sugar cookie recipe and press it into 8×8 square baking pan.
- Spread a layer of your favorite vanilla ice cream (homemade or from the store). You can use my homemade, Halo Top , Wink or Keto Pint for a low carb version.
- Top with a layer of strawberry sorbet (homemade or from the store). If you can’t find strawberry sorbet, grab some strawberry ice cream (use my keto strawberry ice cream, Halo top or Wink for low carb) and blend it together with a cup of frozen strawberries. Raspberry or even blueberry sorbet would be awesome too!!
- Another layer of vanilla ice cream goes on top
- Finally, sprinkle the strawberry crumbled topping (made with crushed Golden Oreos and powdered freeze-dried strawberries or strawberry flavored gelatin powder) You can find freeze-dried fruit at Target, Trader Joe’s or Amazon HERE.
- Pop the pan into the freezer so they set up and then cut them into little squares.
WHY I LOVE THESE STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM BARS
These taste even better than the original from what I remember. And, you can make them a-head for a birthday or special occasion when you have company coming over.
Cookie and ice cream lovers will be in dessert heaven and you’ll want to make these again and again all . summer . long ♥♥♥
- 20 Golden Oreo cookies crushed with the cream filling (about 2 cups) (OR you can use any Vanilla Creme Sandwich Cookies - they even have Gluten Free ones or Use Nui Snickerdoodles for a low carb / keto version)
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- 4-1/2 - 5 cups your favorite vanilla ice cream homemade or store-bought (use Halo Top Vanilla Bean, Keto Pint or Wink Vanilla for a low carb version)
- 2-1/2 cups strawberry sorbet homemade or store-bought*** (use Halo Top Strawberry or Wink Strawberry Ice Cream for a low carb / keto version)
- Line an 8 x 8 square baking dish with parchment or wax paper leaving an overhang for easier removal of the bars. Set aside.
Make the cookie crust - In a food processor, add the entire cookies (no need to remove the cream filling) and pulse into fine crumbs. Add the melted butter and stir until combined. Press mixture into the bottom of the lined baking dish. Place in freezer for about 20 minutes to set.
- Make the crumbled topping - In a small bowl, zip-top bag or food processor, add Oreo cookies and crush into large crumbs. Mix with softened butter and press together into pea-sized pieces. Combine with freeze-dried strawberry powder (or strawberry jello powders). Set aside.
- Assemble - Remove vanilla ice cream and strawberry sorbet from freezer to soften (takes about 15-20 minutes). When ready, scoop around 2 cups of vanilla ice cream over the cookie crust and spread evenly using an offset spatula.
Place pan in freezer to harden slightly (about 10-20 minutes).
- Next, spread the sorbet over the vanilla ice cream layer evenly. Again, place pan in freezer for 10 minutes if needed. Add the final layer of vanilla ice cream spreading evenly.
- Sprinkle the strawberry cookie crumbs evenly over the bars. Place in the freezer for 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Lift out of pan using the parchment paper overhang. Allow to sit out for about 5-10 minutes so the crust softens up slightly. Using a very sharp knife, cut into square rectangles. Store bars in freezer until ready to serve.
To make the strawberry powder, pulverize the freeze dried strawberries using a food processor, mortar and pestle, or plastic bag and rolling pin. We want the powder to be fine. Around 1 ounce of freeze dried strawberries will yield 3 tablespoons of powder.
*If you can't find strawberry sorbet, you can use strawberry ice cream and blend with 1 - 1 1/2 cups of frozen strawberries.
***To ensure even layers of the ice cream, place the pan back in the freezer for about 10 minutes after adding each layer.