This Keto Strawberry Ice Cream is sweet, creamy and so easy to make with only 6 ingredients and less than 20 minutes of prep. A no churn ice cream recipe that’s a perfect sugar-free / low carb treat for summer made with fresh strawberries, coconut cream and cream cheese.
Updated June 2019
HOMEMADE ICE CREAM
Nothing helps cool you down more than a big bowl of ice cream on a hot summer day. Homemade ice cream like this keto ice cream and two ingredient ice cream are one of our favorite healthy desserts to make during the summer.
And if you’re looking for ways to use up some fresh local farmer’s market strawberries, this Keto Strawberry Ice Cream is the perfect frozen treat to cool you down during the hot weather.
It’s easy to make and comes out deliciously sweet and is sure to satisfy that ice cream craving. Plus, since it’s no churn, you won’t even need the stove or an ice cream maker! The hardest part is just waiting for it to freeze.
CAN I HAVE STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM ON A KETO DIET?
Yes! If you are following a low carb keto diet, it’s still possible to enjoy your favorite frozen treat when that ice cream craving hits.
Our keto ice cream recipe is made with low carb ingredients and a low glycemic sweetener that won’t raise your blood sugar level. Just as long as you aren’t eating the entire batch in one day, you won’t get kicked out of ketosis
WHY WE LOVE THIS KETO STRAWBERRY DESSERT:
Strawberry desserts are perfect for spring, summer and anytime you’re craving a light and refreshing treat in the August heat. This low carb strawberry cheesecake ice cream is cool and creamy with a sight tang and the perfect way to cool down if you’ve been outside all day.
- it’s delicious and easy to make with gluten free ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
- you only need 6 ingredients and less than 20 minutes of prep time
- this is a no churn recipe that doesn’t require an ice cream maker
- no eggs required or making a custard
- so simple to customize with different flavors
HOW MANY CARBS ARE IN THIS HOMEMADE KETO ICE CREAM RECIPE?
One serving of our low carb strawberry ice cream is only:
- 130 calories
- 2 grams of NET carbs
- 2 grams of protein
- 13 grams of fat
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE SUGAR FREE STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM:
- Fresh or frozen strawberries
- Cream cheese – for a dairy-free strawberry ice cream, you can use Kite Hill’s Plain Cream Cheese
- Pure canned coconut cream (only use brands (like Trader Joe’s, Aroy-D) containing coconut milk & water – no Guar gum or other fillers or the ice cream will not turn out properly)
- Powdered Monk fruit sweetener (please note: I have not tested this with any other low carb sweetener)
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy cream / whipping cream (at least 35% fat) – use more coconut cream for a vegan strawberry ice cream
- OPTIONAL: vodka – this helps the ice cream stay smooth and creamy without getting hard but feel free to leave it out
HOW TO MAKE KETO STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM:
- PUREE STRAWBERRIES AND COCONUT CREAM IN HIGH-SPEED BLENDER: Place the strawberries and 1/4 cup of the sweetener in a high-speed blender and process a few times until almost pureed. Add the cream cheese and blend until thoroughly combined then add the coconut cream (and vodka, if using) and blend until creamy.
- WHIP CREAM INTO STIFF PEAKS: Meanwhile, add the heavy whipping cream (or another can of coconut cream) and the remainder of the sweetener to a large chilled bowl and whip until stiff peaks form. Fold into the blended coconut milk mixture until just combined.
- ADD SWEETENER: Add low carb sweetener, vanilla paste (and vodka, if using) and blend until creamy.
- WHIP HEAVY CREAM: Meanwhile, add heavy whipping cream (or whipped coconut cream) along with the remainder of the sweetener to a large chilled bowl and whip until stiff peaks form. Fold into the blended coconut milk mixture until just combined.
- POUR INTO CONTAINER: Scrape the ice cream into a freezer container. (If you have an ice cream maker – you can add the mixture to your ice cream maker and churn until smooth before adding into a freezer container).
- FREEZE: Place in the freezer and give the ice cream a good stirring every 30 minutes for the first 2-3 hours (to avoid getting too icy – skip this step if you used an ice cream maker) then every hour or so for the next 2 hours.
- THAW BEFORE SERVING: Allow ice cream to sit out at room temperature for about 15 minutes to thaw out slightly before scooping.
I prefer to use Lakanto Monk Fruit Sweetener in my low carb dessert recipes since I find it tastes the closest to actual sugar without upsetting my stomach or giving me that cooling effect.
Feel free to use your preferred sweetener of choice such as Swerve or Erythritol.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM:
- use full fat coconut milk without any added gums
- be sure to use cold heavy cream and beat until it reaches stiff peaks
- powdered sweetener such as monk fruit blends in much easier resulting in a creamier consistency
- add some vodka if possible to ensure the low carb ice cream doesn’t develop hard crystals & is creamy smooth
- give the no churn ice cream a good stir every 30 minutes so it gets super creamy & tastes just as decadent as regular ice cream
DO YOU NEED EGGS TO MAKE LOW CARB STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM?
No. Our sugar free strawberry ice cream recipe does not require eggs.
HOW DO YOU MAKE PALEO STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM?
To make paleo strawberry ice cream, dairy free ice cream or vegan ice cream, simply swap the heavy cream for whipped coconut cream.
DO YOU NEED AN ICE CREAM MAKER TO MAKE KETO STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM NO CHUR?
No. This no churn strawberry ice cream recipe does not require an ice cream maker.
CAN I MAKE HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM IN AN ICE CREAM MAKER?
Yes. To make this no churn strawberry ice cream in an ice cream maker, just follow the same instructions up until step 4. Instead of pouring into the container, you would simply pour the ice cream into an ice cream maker and churn.
WHY MAKE KETO STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM AT HOME?
You might be wondering with all the Keto Ice Cream brands you can find in the grocery store these days, why make a homemade strawberry ice cream.
Well, most keto ice creams you find in the store are still higher in carbs than our homemade ice cream which contains only 2 NET carbs per serving.
Store-bought keto ice creams area also high in cost for a small-sized container. Many brands – such as Halo Top and Enlightened are also filled with more than 5 ingredients and some of those are made with fillers, gums, syrups and sweeteners that may not agree with your body.
However, by making your own ice cream at home, you get to control the ingredients and the amount of sweetener you use.
ICE CREAM TOPPINGS AND FLAVOR VARIATIONS:
- add some blueberries or raspberries to make this a mixed berry ice cream
- have fun with mix-ins: garnish with fresh berries, keto granola, chopped pecans, almonds or macadamia nuts
More keto recipes you might like:
- 1-1/2 cups fresh (or frozen) strawberries , washed and hulled
- 8 ounces full fat cream cheese (for dairy-free, vegan or paleo, you can use Kite Hill plain cream cheese)
- 1 13.5-ounce can chilled coconut cream , use only brands containing coconut milk + water with no other fillers - etc. Arroy-D, Trader Joe's
- 1 teaspoon vodka , optional to help offset the ice cream from getting too hard & icy
- 1.5 cups heavy whipping cream (for dairy-free, vegan or paleo, you can use more coconut cream)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup powdered monk fruit sweetener , divided (depending on how sweet you like your ice cream)
Place the strawberries and 1/4 cup of the sweetener in a high-speed blender and process a few times until almost pureed. Add the cream cheese and blend until thorougly combined then add the coconut cream (and vodka, if using) and blend until creamy.
Meanwhile, add the heavy whipping cream (or another can of coconut cream) and the remainder of the sweetener to a large chilled bowl and whip until stiff peaks form. Fold into the blended coconut milk mixture until just combined.
Scrape the ice cream into a freezer container. (If you have an ice cream maker - you can add the mixture to your ice cream maker and churn until smooth before adding into a freezer container).
Place container in the freezer and give the ice cream a good stirring every 30 minutes for the first 2-3 hours (to avoid getting too icy - skip if ice cream maker was used) then every hour or so for the next 2 hours.
Allow ice cream to sit out at room temperature for about 15 minutes to thaw out slightly before scooping.
Be sure to use full-fat canned coconut milk, not lite or coconut milk beverage.
*If your ice cream is too hard to scoop, let it sit on the counter for about 15 minutes to soften. Adding vodka to the ice cream helps to offset some of the iciness.
Please note that nutrition facts were estimated for 1/3 cup. serving.