These Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies are soft, chewy and so easy to make in just one bowl. So delicious and made with just a few simple pantry ingredients that also happen to be gluten free, paleo-friendly and refined sugar free.
Best Chocolate Chip Cookies that are guilt-free
Nothing beats a fresh batch of soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies. Chocolate chip cookies are a classic household favorite and everyone has their go-to homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe in their backpocket.
We already have our Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies which are a reader favorite…..but what if you don’t have any eggs, flour or butter in your pantry or fridge?
With all the people staying at home and baking, we had to come up with a chocolate chip cookie recipe that doesn’t require any eggs. Our team tested out dozens of batches to come up with these perfect Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies that we think are absolutely delicious!
They bake up soft, chewy with the perfect golden crispy edges. Plus, they are so easy to make in just one bowl with NO mixer and NO chilling required.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Traditional chocolate chip cookies are made with a combination of all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar and butter.
Our vegan chocolate chip cookies are not only made with the perfect combination of gluten free flours, but they are also paleo friendly and refined sugar free. All you need are a few simple pantry ingredients and the best part is that you won’t even require special vegan butters, applesauce, flaxseeds or chia seeds!
- Coconut oil: replaces the butter in this gluten free cookie recipe. You want the texture to be soft, like butter and NOT melted. It gives the vegan cookies a subtle hint of coconut flavor but if you’re not a fan of coconut at all, be sure to use refined coconut oil which has a neutral scent and flavor. If you prefer not to use coconut oil at all, you can try vegan butter, but I have not tested it out with that so can’t ensure the results.
- Vanilla extract: makes the cookies delicious and brings out the flavors from all the other ingredients.
- Pure maple syrup: a natural liquid sweetener that is vegan-friendly and adds a subtle sweetness. If you don’t have it, you can try agave syrup, coconut nectar syrup, brown rice syrup or Lakanto Sugar-Free syrup.
- Coconut Sugar: a lower glycemic sweetener that is similar to the taste of brown sugar. If you don’t have it, feel free to use regular brown sugar or golden monk fruit sweetener for a low carb no sugar sweetener.
- Almond Flour: Be sure to use superfine blanched almond flour and not almond meal. Almond flour is the main nut flour providing most of the bulk. Measure properly using the spoon and level method.
- Coconut Flour: just two tablespoons is all you’ll need and is imperative to hold the cookies together and gives them that perfect soft and chewy texture with crispy edges
- GF Baking Powder leavening agent that helps the cookies rise and give them structure
- Coarsely Chopped Dairy-Free Chocolate or Vegan Chocolate Chips – Hu’s or Lily’s is the brand we use
- Cinnamon – helps bring out the flavors and makes these one bowl gluten free chocolate chip cookies delicious
How to make Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- PREHEAT OVEN to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- COMBINE SUGAR AND WET INGREDIENTS: Start off by creaming together the softened coconut oil and coconut sugar with a fork. You can also use a hand mixer if you like. Stir in the maple syrup and vanilla until smooth.
- ADD DRY INGREDIENTS: Stir in the baking powder, almond flour, coconut flour and cinnamon and mix until the dough is combined.
- ADD CHOCOLATE: Fold in chopped vegan chocolate or dairy free chocolate chips.
- SHAPE DOUGH: Use a small cookie scoop or measure out 1.5 Tablespoon-sized balls onto the baking sheet.
- FLATTEN COOKIES: Gently flatten the dough with your palm or the bottom of a small glass.
- BAKE: Bake for about 11-13 minutes OR until slightly golden. DO NOT overbake. Sprinkle with some flaky sea salt, if desired.
- COOL: Allow to cool for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Are Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies tasty?
Yes, these paleo chocolate chip cookies are not only made with healthier and better for your ingredients, they are incredibly delicious! Soft, chewy, thick and super addicting!
HOW TO BAKE VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES WITHOUT COCONUT OIL:
If you don’t want to use coconut oil or someone in your family is allergic to coconut oil, you can also try swapping with vegan butter. We like to use Miyokos.
- chopped nuts: we like walnuts or pecans
- dried fruit: organic sugar-free cranberries or raisins
OTHER REASONS WE LOVE THESE GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES:
- it’s an easy gluten free cookie recipe that you can make in just ONE bowl
- no chilling or mixer required to make the vegan cookie dough
- healthy & delicious using basic pantry ingredients
- Paleo friendly, gluten free, refined sugar free
- soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies on the inside with the perfect crispy exterior
SO WHAT IS THE BEST VEGAN CHOCOLATE?
When it comes to dairy-free chocolate for vegan cookies, we prefer using 100% cacao powder or sugar free keto chocolate like Lily’s or Hu’s Kitchen is great for baking.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES:
FOR THE BEST SUCCESS IN ANY COOKIE RECIPE VEGAN OR NOT, BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE RECIPE AND INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY AS WRITTEN.
- SOFTENED COCONUT OIL – be sure not to use melted coconut oil otherwise your cookies will fall flat. You want it softened to room temperature (like butter) and
- USE THE CORRECT COMBINATION OF SWEETENERS – maple syrup and coconut sugar mimic the taste and texture of brown sugar. This combination is what gives the cookies that soft and chewy texture.
- USE THE RIGHT COMBINATION OF FLOURS – Superfine blanched almond flour and coconut flour are what give these vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookies their soft and fluffy texture. Do not sub with almond meal or shredded coconut since those are both much coarser and will cause your cookies to crumble.
- DO NOT OVERBAKE – Be sure to watch your cookies carefully and remove promptly from the oven once you see the edges start to turn a golden brown. The time will vary according to your oven and remember that the low carb cookies will continue to cook when removed from the oven.
- ALLOW THE COOKIES TO COOL – if you want the best vegan chocolate chip cookies, be sure to let them set up properly. Don’t try to grab them right away when you remove them from the oven. Give them at least 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- SWITCH CHOCOLATE CHIPS for festive chocolate for Easter or Mother’s Day. We used the Unreal Dark Chocolate Peanut Gems below which are vegan and non-GMO.
CAN I FREEZE VEGAN COOKIES?
Yes, absolutely! I always make a double batch of grain free cookies since they are perfect for making ahead and they’re freezer friendly!
Store leftovers in a covered container or a clear zip-lock bag to enjoy throughout the week. Then when you’re craving a warm and gooey cookie, just pop one in the microwave for about 7 seconds and they’re the perfect texture.
HOW TO FREEZE GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES?
To freeze your dairy free chocolate chip cookies, place the entire baking sheet of baked cookies in the freezer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, transfer frozen cookies to a resealable bag or an airtight container. Store frozen cookies in the freezer for up to 3 months.
More vegan cookie recipes and desserts you’ll love:
- 1/3 cup softened coconut oil , you want it soft like butter (use refined if you don't want any coconut flavor - can also try subbing with vegan butter)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (you can also try subbing with Lakanto golden monk fruit sweetener OR brown sugar if not paleo)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (can also sub with 3 Tbsp Lakanto sugar-free maple syrup)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 tsp GF baking powder
- 1 1/3 cups superfine almond flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips OR chopped chocolate , we use Lily's OR Hu's Kitchen Gems, plus more for topping. You can also swap with Unreal Dark Chocolate Peanut Gems for Easter or Mother's Day.
- chopped nuts
- Flaky sea salt
Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, mix coconut oil and coconut sugar using a fork until combined. Stir in maple syrup and vanilla until smooth.
Add baking powder, almond flour, coconut flour and cinnamon until dough is combined. Fold in chocolate.
Roll into nine 1.5 Tbsp sized dough balls and place on lined baking sheet. Press down each ball to form a disk then add more chocolate chips / nuts.
Bake in preheated oven for 12-13 minutes. Do not overbake. Remove pan from oven and allow to cool completely. Top with flaky sea salt if desired. The cookies will crisp & firm up once cool.