This creamy Tomato Soup is easy to make with cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and dairy-free milk. There’s nothing like a comforting bowl of soup to warm you up on a cold day. It’s a healthy and delicious option that the whole family will love! Vegan, paleo, low carb and Whole30 compliant.
Easy Homemade Tomato Soup
It’s soup season and everyone needs to have a simple tomato soup recipe on hand. This Creamy Tomato Soup is easy to make and a family favorite all year long. You can make it during the summer with fresh garden tomatoes or easily in the fall and winter with canned tomatoes.
This easy vegan soup is full of tomato flavor and seasoned to your liking with salt and pepper. It all comes together in less than 45 minutes!
While this soup is nice and creamy, it doesn’t use any heavy cream. It’s made with vegetable stock to keep it vegan and basil to give it that classic tomato soup flavor. You won’t find a healthier tomato soup recipe – or one that tastes this good!
Why You’ll Love This Soup Recipe
This simple homemade soup is so comforting and better than most tomato soups you can order at a restaurant. And you don’t need any fancy ingredients to make it come to life! The tomatoes are roasted in the oven with garlic and simmered on the stove with the vegetable stock.
This soup is just as easy to make as slow cooker soup, but it comes together way faster. It tastes amazing on its own or with a crispy grilled cheese sandwich for dipping.
Plus, it’s naturally vegan, paleo, gluten-free, low carb, keto and Whole30 compliant.
Is Tomato Soup Healthy?
This dish is packed with vitamins and nutrients. It’s low in carbs and made with almond milk to keep it dairy-free and vegan. This soup is also Paleo and Keto-friendly!
Cashew cream helps this cozy soup get nice and creamy without adding in a ton of fats. Cashews are full of protein and fiber, and they contain plenty of health-boosting minerals. Overall, this soup is healthy and accomodating to all sorts of dietary restrictions.
There’s probably no need to stop at the store before you make this soup. It uses simple ingredients that are common pantry staples.
- Cherry Tomatoes: We love using fresh garden tomatoes in the summer but you can also use canned tomatoes in the winter. We love using San Marzano.
- Garlic Cloves: adds flavor and makes this soup delicious
- Vegetable Stock or vegetable broth
- Fresh Basil: Fresh basil will really step up the flavor of your soup!
- Cashews – soaked in boiling water for 7 minutes. Replaces the heavy cream in this dairy-free vegan tomato soup
- Almond Milk: Be sure to use unsweetened almond milk for this recipe.
- Salt and Pepper: season to taste.
How to Make Tomato Soup
This soup is refreshingly easy to make. All you have to do is roast your tomatoes, make your cashew cream and simmer your ingredients over low heat.
- Heat Oven: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Roast Tomatoes: Place the cherry tomatoes and garlic on a baking sheet and drizzle generously with olive oil, salt and black pepper. Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Make Cashew Cream: Make the cashew cream by blending cashews and plant milk in a high speed blender for about 30 seconds until smooth.
- Add Tomatoes to Saucepan: Once the cherry tomatoes are cooked (the skins should be burst and starting to blister), remove from the oven and transfer the tomatoes to a saucepan. Make sure to pour all the juice from the tomatoes in too.
- Add Vegetable Stock & Basil: Add the vegetable broth or stock and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Then, add the basil and use a hand held immersion blender to blitz until smooth.
- Add Cashew Cream & Season: Pour in the cashew cream and stir through. Taste and season with salt and pepper and serve!
- Serve with dairy-free Grilled Cheese: Everyone loves the classic combination of a grilled cheese and tomato basil soup!
- Add Crackers: Try topping your soup with oyster crackers or saltines.
- Serve with Salad: To keep things fresh and healthy, serve your soup with a simple homemade salad like my Creamy Broccoli Salad Recipe.
- Top with Vegan or regular Cheese: Sprinkle some shredded dairy-free cheese on top of your soup for added flavor and a good-looking garnish!
How to Store and Reheat
This Whole30 soup should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last for up to 4 days.
To reheat your soup, set it over medium-low heat. Be sure you don’t let the soup come to a boil – remove it from the heat once it’s warm. You can also pop your soup in the microwave, covered, and heat it at 15-second intervals until warm.
Can You Freeze Tomato Soup?
This healthy tomato soup is also freezer-friendly! Just store it in a well-covered container and let it thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating. Frozen tomato soup will last for up to 3 months!
Can I make this easy tomato soup in the slow cooker
- Yes, absolutely. To make slow cooker tomato soup, roast the tomatoes and garlic. Then transfer to a large 5-6-quart slow cooker. Add the vegetable broth or stock and allow cook on LOW for 4 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the cashew cream.
- Add the basil and use your immersion blender and blend until smooth. Stir in cashew cream.
How to make creamy tomato soup in the Instant Pot
- To make Instant Pot Tomato Soup, roast the tomatoes and garlic. Then transfer to the inner pot of the pressure cooker. Add the vegetable broth or stock.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, turn vent to SEALING position, and hit MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK / HIGH for 5 minutes. The Instant Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure. Allow a 5-minute natural release, then do a gradual quick release to release remaining pressure. When pin drops, open lid, and stir.
- Meanwhile, make the cashew cream.
- Add the basil and use immersion blender to blend soup until slightly thick and creamy. Stir in the cashew cream and serve with basil and and some coconut cream if desired.
More vegan soups you will love:
More tomato recipes you will love:
This creamy Tomato Soup is easy to make with cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and dairy-free milk. There's nothing like a comforting bowl of soup to warm you up on a cold day. It's a healthy and delicious option that the whole family will love! Vegan, paleo, low carb and Whole30 compliant.
- 1.5 lbs good quality cherry tomatoes or one (24oz) can of San Marzano Whole Tomatoes
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Place cherry tomatoes and garlic on a baking sheet and drizzle generously with olive oil, salt and black pepper. Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
Make the cashew cream by blending cashews and plant milk in a high speed blender for about 30 seconds until smooth.
Once the cherry tomatoes are cooked (the skins should be burst and starting to blister), remove from the oven and place in a saucepan. Make sure to pour all the juice from the tomatoes in too.
Add stock and leave to simmer for 5 minutes. Add basil and use a hand held blender to blitz until smooth.
Pour in the cashew cream and stir through. Taste and season with salt and pepper and serve!
Photo Credit: The photos in this blog post were taken by Tamsin of Cupful of Kale