Triple Berry Crisp with an oat crumble topping is the perfect easy healthier dessert for using up summer (or frozen) berries. Best of all, it’s gluten free, vegan, refined sugar free and takes less than 10 minutes to assemble with blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. Plus recipe video.
One of my favorite things about summer is all the juicy sweet berries. I am notorious for impulsively hoarding berries. It’s too easy not to when they look SO good for such a great price.
Besides eating them straight from the bowl – we love using them up for some crumble bars or a juicy berry crisp. Crisps are always a huge hit and the best part is, they take less than 10 minutes to make.
The great thing about this Triple Berry Crisp recipe for is that you can use any combination of berries you have on hand. Fresh or frozen – whatever you have!
How to make this Triple Berry Crisp
Just toss the berries together with some honey and cornstarch (or arrowroot powder) to thicken up the juices of this Triple Berry Crisp.
You can spread the filling into an 8-9 inch skillet or a large baking dish. Next, you mix together the crumble topping with some oats, oat flour, honey, coconut oil, cinnamon and salt. Use gluten free oats if necessary.
If you don’t have oat flour on hand, it’s easy to make your own by tossing 1 cup of oats into your food processor or high speed blender and pulse until it is finely ground. Regular or almond flour would work here as well.
Don’t forget to serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or coconut yogurt to keep it vegan. So easy and delicious!
Triple Berry Crisp
- 3 cups fresh or frozen defrosted blueberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen defrosted blackberries
- 1 cups fresh or frozen defrosted raspberries
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- Oat topping
- 1 1/3 cups old fashioned oats use gluten free if needed
- 2/3 cup oat flour* can also use all purpose or almond flour if desired
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil solid - softened slightly (or unsalted butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, toss the berries with honey and cornstarch. Pour into a lightly greased 8 or 9" cast iron skillet.
- Rinse and dry the same bowl and add the oats, oat flour, honey, coconut oil, cinnamon and salt. Use a fork or clean hands to combine the mixture until it forms small pea-sized clumps.
- Spread oat mixture evenly on top of berries with your hands and press down lightly.
- Bake for 35 to 42 minutes, or until golden brown and the edges are bubbling. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
*To make your own oat flour, pour 1 cup of whole rolled oats into a food processor or high-speed blender and process until it is finely ground. Or, can purchase pre-made gluten free or regular oat flour.