Hearty Vegetable Tuscan Chicken Soup makes the perfect comforting meal for busy weeknights. Best of all, it’s so easy to make and full of hearty vegetables, white beans and chicken.
This recipe was first posted on The Recipe Critic
Did you know January is National Soup Month? I am actually one of those that can have soup all year long but love it even more during the colder months. We practically live on soups once November hits around here.
This Hearty Vegetable Tuscan Chicken Soup has been showing up here a lot lately. It’s hearty, filling and perfect for those cold winter days.
Plus, this soup is jam-packed with a ton of nutrients, healthy vegetables, hearty beans and tender rotisserie chicken. The best part is that you can easily customize it with whatever you have on hand!
We loaded ours up with celery, zucchini, red peppers, carrots, diced tomatoes and white beans. Cook for 25-30 minutes in a large pot along with some garlic, onions and Italian herbs and that’s it!
Serve this up with some crusty bread, fresh parsley and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Make ahead and freezer-friendly:
This soup is so easy to make ahead and also a perfect freezer friendly meal.
- chop the vegetables ahead of time and store in a clear zip-top bag or glass container
- if using dried beans, cook them ahead of time, drain and freeze
- soup stores well in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days
- freeze extra for easy lunches and dinner for up to 3 months
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 3 Tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups chopped carrots
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1 large zucchini chopped
- 1 sweet red bell pepper chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 19 oz. can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken breast I used rotisserie
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves chopped
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley
- parmesan cheese
In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the butter and olive oil. Add in the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery and saute for about 4-5 minutes, until tender and fragrant. Stir in the zucchini and red pepper and cook for another 2 minutes until slightly softened. Sprinkle in the flour to create a roux and cook for another minute. Slowly add 1 cup of the chicken broth while continuously stirring until it starts to thicken and comes together. Then slowly pour in the remaining chicken broth.
- Stir in the Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, beans and entire can of tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add the chicken and reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and cider vinegar and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until everything is heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese, if desired.
More comforting stews and soups: