Zucchini Breakfast Cookies are the perfect easy and healthy breakfast (bread) for on the go. Best of all, they are flourless, have NO butter and are gluten free and refined sugar free.
Pin for later AND follow my Recipes Board on Pinterest for more easy treats!
Now that the kiddos are back in school, do you struggle to get them out of bed in the morning?
Some days, my five-year old has no problem waking up at the crack of dawn and eager to head to school…..and then there are those other mornings where he could use just a liiitttle bit of help.
So for those days, we’ve got cookies. Breakfast cookies that is. An awesome way to wake up and totally worth getting out of bed early for!
Plus, they are the perfect way to use up the rest of the garden zucchini and squash if you’ve still got a ton.
ZUCCHINI BREAKFAST COOKIES
These zucchini breakfast cookies totally remind me of zucchini bread in cookie form. And they are such an awesome way to sneak in extra veggies – especially if you have little ones.
My kiddos LOVE these so much and we’ve already made them at least a dozen times already.
The best part about these healthy cookies is how easily they come together without having to use a mixer. Just one bowl, a box grater and a cookie scoop helps to evenly portion out the dough. A fun baking project that even the kiddos can help out with.
They are also completely flourless, refined sugar free with some chocolate chunks for good measure. The chocolate adds that extra sweetness that makes these cookies taste amazing! But if you’re don’t want chocolate – try adding some dried fruit instead.
We sweetened them up with banana and honey and added a little bit of oats so they hold together. You can also make them completely paleo by leaving out the oats and swapping in almond flour instead.
They’re also freezer friendly and you can even make them ahead of time. Just warm them up for a few seconds for a healthy and delicious breakfast with your morning cup of java — or toss a few into your lunchbox to enjoy throughout the day.
Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links.
Zucchini Breakfast Cookies (Gluten Free)
- 1 overripe banana mashed
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened applesauce room temperature (or pure pumpkin puree)
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup*
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons melted and cooled coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 2/3 cups finely ground gluten free oat flour or almond flour for paleo
- 1/2 scant teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup gluten free rolled oats leave out for paleo and add 1/3 cup shredded coconut or another 1/3 cup of almond flour instead
- 3/4 cup finely grated zucchini
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks use paleo-friendly brand, such as Enjoy Life as needed
- *Optional toppings - chopped nuts shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, using a fork, mash the banana then beat in the egg until combined. Mix in the honey, vanilla and melted coconut oil. Add the baking soda, cinnamon and salt then stir in the flour until just combined. Fold in the zucchini, then the oats and chocolate chunks
- Scoop rounded 2 tablespoon portions of batter onto the prepared baking sheet, using your hands to shape the dough into uniform balls as needed. (I used a cookie scoop.)
- Gently flatten each cookie and top with additional chocolate chunks if desired.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, until set.
- Cool cookies on baking sheet for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
More healthy breakfast recipes:
Breakfast Cookies – Sally’s Baking Addiction
Vegan Everything Breakfast Cookies – Minimalist Baker
Carrot Quinoa Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies – Love & Lemons