This Easy Homemade Caramel Sauce is so simple to make with only 3 ingredients and the best with apples. It’s also perfect for cakes, cupcakes, cookies, ice cream, cheesecake, sweet breads and more!
This is my favorite homemade salted caramel sauce. It’s sweet, sticky, buttery, and full of sugary liquid gold.
It’s really easy to make and beats anything you would buy from the store. We usually have most of the ingredients on hand.
All you need are three simple ingredients – sugar, heavy cream and butter.
There is no candy thermometer required and the caramel itself doesn’t take long to make – only about 10 minutes. Just be sure to allow it to cool down completely before using it in a recipe. The caramel will thicken as it cools.
Once it’s ready to use – dip apple slices into it, spoon it over ice cream, put it into decorated jars and give it as a holiday gift, or just eat it with a spoon. The possibilities for are endless!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat sugar and stir constantly with a heat resistant rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Do not stop stirring as the sugar may burn.
- Once sugar is melted add the butter slowly as the caramel will bubble when the butter is added. Continue stirring until everything is melted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Gently pour heavy cream into caramel while stirring. The mixture will bubble and/or splatter when heavy cream is added. Allow the mixture to boil for 1 minute - watch as it rises while it boils.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. The mixture will get thicker as it cools. Store in a sealed jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Thanks for reading Life Made Sweeter, you can also stay connected with me here: