These easy Asparagus Bundles are made with fresh asparagus and dairy-free cheese are wrapped in a flaky puff pastry shell and baked until the veggies are tender-crisp, the cheese is melty and the pastry is golden. They are the ultimate spring comfort food and make the perfect easy appetizers for Easter, Memorial Day, Fourth of July parties, showers and birthdays!
PIN HERE for later and follow my boards for more easy recipes
Updated May 2022
Cheesy Baked Asparagus Puff Pastry Wraps
These Asparagus Bundles are a deliciously addicting snack or fun appetizer that takes roasted asparagus to a whole new level. The veggies are coated in a flavorful seasoning blend, then wrapped up in cute little bundles along with plenty of vegan cheese. The pre-made gluten-free puff pastry dough bakes up beautifully golden and flaky!
Whenever snack time rolls around and we’re in the mood for something savory, we always want to whip up these cheesy asparagus pastry bundles. They’re very easy to make and can be customized with your favorite ingredients – whether you want to use different veggies altogether or simply switch up the seasonings. Once you take these babies out of the oven, it’s game over! Let the obsession begin. They make the perfect elegant finger food to serve at your Easter table, birthday parties or wedding showers! Plus, we’ve included tons of variations and options so that you can easily make them dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan for all your guests with various dietary needs.
What You’ll Need
Grab the ingredients listed below and get ready for a fail-proof munchie when you make these baked asparagus pastry bundles. Let’s rock and roll!
- Fresh Asparagus: We use regular medium-sized stalks.
- Avocado Oil: Or olive oil.
- Fine Sea Salt: Or kosher salt, added to taste.
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper: To taste.
- Garlic Powder: For depth of flavor.
- Dried Oregano: I don’t suggest swapping this out for fresh oregano, which has a much more mild flavor.
- Gluten-Free Puff Pastry: If you’re using frozen pastry dough, be sure to thaw it out first. Jus-Rol Gluten-Free Puff Pastry is gluten-free and vegan while Genius and Scharr are both gluten-free and dairy-free but not vegan. Not all brands are vegan, so it’s always a good idea to check the label if you want a vegan variety. A few vegan puff pastry doughs are Pepperidge and Wewalka.
- Dairy-Free Cream Cheese: Softened. We like KiteHill or Miyokos.
- Dairy-Free Cheese Slices: We like Chao and Violife.
- Fresh Chopped Herbs: To garnish the wraps.
How to Make Asparagus Bundles
It’s time to learn how easy this healthy appetizer really is! We’ve laid out each step in detail.
- Prep for Baking: Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash & Trim Asparagus: Wash and dry the asparagus, then trim off the ends.
- Add Seasonings: Drizzle the oil overtop the prepared asparagus stalks and season them with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and dried oregano. Toss until each stalk is well coated in the seasoning blend.
- Cut and fill Pastry: Cut the puff pastry into 6 equal squares and lay them down at an angle to resemble diamonds rather than squares.
- Spread Cheese: Spread 1 tablespoon of cream cheese onto the center of each diamond. Place a slice of vegan cheese on top. Place 3-4 asparagus stalks vertically in the middle.
- Add Asparagus: Place 3-4 asparagus stalks vertically in the middle.
- Assemble Wraps: Fold the puff pastry over the asparagus by taking the left corner of the pastry and wrapping it tightly over the asparagus, followed by the right corner – then press to seal it closed. Repeat with the remaining diamonds. Place the bundles in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between each one.
- Brush with Oil & Briefly Freeze: Lightly brush a little bit of oil onto each bundle using a pastry brush, then place the pan into the freezer for about 5 minutes.
- Roast: Bake the bundles in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the puff pastry is golden.
- Garnish: Sprinkle the wraps with some additional salt and pepper, then garnish them with the chopped herbs.
- Enjoy! Serve warm.
Tips and Tricks
Before you start working on this standout snack, be sure to check out our tips for the best baked asparagus bundles.
- Keep the Pastry Dough Cold: The most important tip I have for you relates to the temperature of the puff pastry dough. If you’re using frozen dough, thaw it out just enough to make it workable. Leaving it at room temperature for too long will make it too warm and fragile. Pop it into the fridge for 5-10 minutes to firm it back up if needed.
- Wash the Asparagus: Do not skip the step of washing your asparagus. Otherwise, you’re probably going to bite down on some sand. No one wants that!
- Do I Have to Use Puff Pastry? Everyone loves all of the flaky layers that puff pastry is famous for, but you can definitely use something else if you’re struggling to find some at your local supermarket. Crescent roll dough and croissant dough will work as well.
I make these baked asparagus bundles quite a lot, so I’m definitely no stranger to switching things up. Here are some simple variations to try:
- Use Zucchini Spears Instead of Asparagus
- Add Pesto Sauce
- Use Different Seasonings
- Add Homemade Hummus
- Make Green Bean Pastry Bundles
- Garnish with Fresh Lemon Juice
- Add Bacon or Prosciutto if Not Vegan
- Use a Flavored Cream Cheese
- Add Chopped Nuts
Feel free to pair these cheesy asparagus wraps with any other dishes of your choice. They go well with everything! Find a few of my top picks below.
- Serve with Stuffed Squash: This Stuffed Butternut Squash is fully loaded with nutrients and flavor! It bakes at the same temperature as the asparagus wraps for your convenience.
- Pair with Broccoli Soup: Have you ever enjoyed multiple appetizers together as a meal? I adore doing that with these crispy asparagus bundles and my Creamy Broccoli Soup. Perfection!
- Serve with Lemon Pasta: I’m always down to devour a bowl of this Creamy Lemon Chicken Pasta. If you need a vegan version, simply omit the chicken and use vegetable broth & dairy-free cheese.
How to Store and Reheat Extras
Baked asparagus pastry bundles are best served fresh, but you can store leftovers for later if needed. Wait until they have cooled completely, then refrigerate them in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Reheat them in a 375°F oven until they’re warmed through.
Can I Freeze These?
If you’d like to store your asparagus wraps for a longer period of time, you can place the container into the freezer instead of the fridge, adding a piece of wax or parchment paper between layers. Reheat the wraps within 2 weeks, directly from frozen.
More Vegan Appetizer Ideas
Want some more vegan snacks and appetizers? The following dishes are to die for.
These easy Asparagus Bundles are made with fresh asparagus and dairy-free cheese are wrapped in a flaky puff pastry shell and baked until the veggies are tender-crisp, the cheese is melty and the pastry is golden. They are the ultimate spring comfort food and make the perfect easy appetizers for Easter, showers and birthdays!
- 1 bunch asparagus medium-sized stalks
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- fine sea salt or kosher salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 sheet puff pastry fresh or thawed if using frozen* - May sub with regular if not gluten-free. Jus-Rol Gluten-Free Puff Pastry is gluten-free and vegan while Genius and Scharr are both gluten-free and dairy-free but not vegan. Not all brands are vegan, so it's always a good idea to check the label if you want a vegan variety. A few vegan puff pastry doughs are Pepperidge and Wewalka.
- 6 tbsp dairy-free cream cheese softened. We like KiteHill or Miyokos.
- 6 slices dairy-free cheese , we like Treeline, Chao and Violife.
- 1 tsp avocado oil or olive oil, to brush on the bundles
- salt & pepper to garnish
- fresh chopped herbs to garnish
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Wash and trim the ends of the asparagus.
Drizzle with oil and season with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and dried oregano. Toss until well coated.
Cut the puff pastry into 6 equal squares. (If using frozen puff pastry, thaw until just ready to work with. If left out too long at room temperature, the puff pastry gets too warm and is more difficult to work with. Pop it back in the fridge for 5-10 minutes until it firms up). Turn each square on an angle so that it resembles a diamond.
Spread 1 tablespoon of cream cheese onto the center of each diamond. Place a slice of the vegan cheese on top.
Place 3-4 asparagus stalks vertically in the middle. Fold the puff pastry over the asparagus by taking the left corner of the pastry and wrapping it tightly over the asparagus followed by the right corner and pressing to seal it closed. Repeat with remaining diamonds.
Place the bundles in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between each bundle. Lightly brush a little bit of oil on each bundle. Place the pan in the freezer for 5 minutes.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden.
Sprinkle each with some flakey salt and freshly cracked black pepper and some chopped fresh herbs. Enjoy warm.
- To Store & Reheat: These are best fresh, but cooled leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Reheat in a 375°F oven until warmed through.
- To Freeze: Place cooled leftovers into a freezer-safe container, adding wax or parchment paper between layers. Reheat within 2 weeks, directly from frozen.
Leave a Comment