A summery ice cream cake with layers of homemade blueberry and vanilla ice cream over a no-bake lemon cookie crust. Topped with fresh blueberries and a drizzle of blueberry sauce makes this an extra special dessert.
[pe2-image src=”http://lh5.ggpht.com/-782nRLzcGeA/U6lX9E-TFcI/AAAAAAAAP5w/W2_AR8ofMds/s144-o/Blueberry%252520Lemon%252520Ice%252520Cream%252520Cake.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog502#6028446283030795714″ caption=”Blueberry Lemon Ice Cream Cake.jpg” type=”image” alt=”Blueberry Lemon Ice Cream Cake.jpg” pe2_single_image_size=”w650″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
Despite all the sweets I share on here, I was never really into desserts or cake growing up.
But ice cream??? Yep, I could eat that by the gallon. Not that I was ever allowed to — but I’m pretty sure I could have if given the chance.
[pe2-image src=”http://lh3.ggpht.com/-XHQX3rJNrcw/U6lR0MS5j2I/AAAAAAAAP3s/pEV4q704P6M/s144-o/Blueberry-Ice-Cream-Cake-Collage-2.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog502#6028439533307662178″ caption=”” type=”image” alt=”Blueberry-Ice-Cream-Cake-Collage-2.jpg” pe2_single_image_size=”w850″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
With my strong love for ice cream and summer fruit, I have been dying to make a blueberry ice cream cake.
But since the husband is more of a chocoholic when it comes to sweets, I had to wait until a day I would not feel guilty about consuming an entire cake if left stuck with finishing by myself.
A milestone birthday is just the occasion and because we’re all friends here, of course I have to share my birthday cake with all of you too 🙂
[pe2-image src=”http://lh6.ggpht.com/-TsSptENeVks/U6lR0LWwZsI/AAAAAAAAP3s/1EfZSNs50Og/s144-o/Blueberry%252520Lemon%252520Ice%252520Cream%252520Cake%2525202.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog502#6028439533055403714″ caption=”Blueberry Lemon Ice Cream Cake 2.jpg” type=”image” alt=”Blueberry Lemon Ice Cream Cake 2.jpg” pe2_single_image_size=”w600″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
Blueberries and lemons have got to be one of my favorite summer dessert combos and this cake is jam packed with both flavors. Best of all, it’s starts with a no-bake cookie crust with minimal work involved.
The hardest part is just waiting for all the layers to harden in the freezer.
You can cut the prep time down even more if you are using your favorite store-bought ice cream.
I used my homemade vanilla ice cream with a custard as a base and added in pureed blueberries for the blueberry ice cream layer. Your best bet is to make the ice cream the day before and assemble the cake the next day.
[pe2-image src=”http://lh5.ggpht.com/-sFLRj8xqOa4/U6lSQ3SoTVI/AAAAAAAAP5Y/A2LnaHheWYA/s144-o/IMG_2313.JPG” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog502#6028440025885592914″ caption=”” type=”image” alt=”IMG_2313.JPG” pe2_single_image_size=”w450″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
Here’s a breakdown of what you’ll need:
First layer ——–> no-bake lemon cream cookie crust (Lemon Oreos would be awesome if you can find them)
Second layer —–> fresh blueberries along the outer rim
Third Layer ——> homemade vanilla ice cream (feel free to use your favorite recipe or store-bought)
Fourth Layer —–> more crushed lemon cookies
Fifth Layer ——–> homemade blueberry ice cream (again feel free to use your favorite recipe or store-bought)
Toppings ———-> Fresh blueberries, blueberry sauce and whipped cream
[pe2-image src=”http://lh4.ggpht.com/-HJgkWTGwYWI/U6lR1wEjudI/AAAAAAAAP3s/66fLF3wyj-c/s144-o/Blueberry-Ice-Cream-Cake-Collage.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog502#6028439560091056594″ caption=”” type=”image” alt=”Blueberry-Ice-Cream-Cake-Collage.jpg” pe2_single_image_size=”w650″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
The blueberry ice cream captures my heart with its pretty color and it goes beautifully with a creamy vanilla ice cream layer on top of the sweet and tangy lemon cookie crust.
The blueberries and blueberry sauce add another hint of sweetness and zing giving this cake that extra something to make it special enough for any summer barbecue, birthday or 4th of July party.
After one bite, I was smitten and I’m pretty sure you would agree if you all could share a slice with me 🙂
[pe2-image src=”http://lh6.ggpht.com/-kksiqMNBVBM/U6lR1Oi0KVI/AAAAAAAAP3s/iQk-6s4kSXI/s144-o/Blueberry-Ice-Cream-Cake-Collage-3.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog502#6028439551091157330″ caption=”” type=”image” alt=”Blueberry-Ice-Cream-Cake-Collage-3.jpg” pe2_single_image_size=”w850″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
Blueberry Lemon Ice Cream Cake
- 2 cups favorite store-bought or homemade vanilla ice cream
- 3 cups blueberry ice cream see recipe below
- 25 Lemon Oreos (or any lemon cream-filled sandwich cookies) crushed (reserve 8 cookies for middle layer)
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 half pint blueberries
- whipped cream
- blueberry sauce optional; see recipe below or your favorite blueberry jam
Blueberry Ice Cream:
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries I used frozen
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- juice from half lemon
- 6-inch round springform pan like Wilton Excelle Elite 6 x 2-3/4 Inch Springform Pan
For the Crust:
- Process lemon cookies in a food processor until finely ground. Combine the cookie crumbs, lemon zest and melted butter in a large bowl.
Press onto the bottom of a parchment lined 6" springform pan with your fingers. Chill in freezer and allow to set for about 20 minutes.
For the Blueberry Ice Cream:
- Process blueberries in a food processor until pureed. Add vanilla ice cream and process until combined. Return to freezer to harden slightly.
For the Blueberry Sauce:
- Combine blueberries, lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan. Crush blueberries with a wooden spoon and bring to a boil on medium heat, then allow to simmer on low until sauce thickens up - about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove vanilla ice cream from freezer and allow to soften at room temperature for about 10 minutes.
- Top crust with blueberries around the edges.
- Spread vanilla ice cream evenly over blueberries and crust. Chill in freezer and allow to harden for about 30 minutes.
- Top with reserved crushed cookies.
- Spread blueberry ice cream evenly over cookies. Return to freezer and allow ice cream to freeze completely - about 1-2 hours.
- When frozen, remove parchment paper and from springform pan.
- Top with fresh blueberries, blueberry sauce and pipe whipped cream if desired
* Feel free to use your favorite store-bought or homemade ice cream recipe.
You may also enjoy these frozen treats:
Thanks so much for reading Life Made Sweeter, you can also stay connected with me: