California Roll Sushi Bowls – a healthy and low carb lunch or dinner to satisfy your sushi craving. So easy and less expensive than ordering takeout.
Don’t forget to PIN HERE for later
Who else is a sushi lover out there? It was my favorite before cutting out grains from my diet. I used to love making my own Homemade California rolls but making a low carb and deconstructed sushi version is even more amazing.
This recipe for California Roll in a Bowl comes from the talented author, Carolyn Ketchum of the low carb food blog, All Day I Dream About Food.
She is the low carb baking master ( Keto Key Lime Bars, Low Carb Italian Cream Cake & Keto Strawberry Pie), and has written three cookbooks Everyday Ketogenic Kitchen, Easy Keto Desserts and Easy Keto Dinners.
Easy Keto Dinners includes over 60 flavorful low carb recipes that you can make any night of the week. Each recipe includes full-color photos, detailed prep instructions, and nutritional information.
There are also helpful sections that include:
- Easy tips and shortcuts
- How to stock up your keto kitchen and pantry
- A list of recommended convenience foods
In addition to the California Roll in a Bowl, I’ve also made the Spicy Cabbage Stir Fry and Cheddar Ranch Roasted Cauliflower – all three were delicious and I can’t wait to try more.
HOW TO MAKE CALIFORNIA ROLL SUSHI BOWLS
- You’re going to start off by making the 3-ingredient creamy mayo wasabi cream.
- Next, cook the cauliflower rice in a medium saucepan over the medium high heat and stir in sesame oil.
- Combine the crab meat with mayonnaise, and Sriracha.
- Assemble your bowls by dividing the cauliflower rice then topping each with some of the crab mixture, a few avocado slices, nori strips, cucumber. I also topped them with some shredded red cabbage and radish slices to add a pop of color.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with the wasabi cream on the side. I also added a very tiny amount of some grated carrots in the end just to brighten up the bowls even more but you can certainly leave them out if you like.
This fresh and flavorful dish is perfect for lunch or dinner and comes together for any night of the week. The next time you’re craving sushi, skip the takeout and try out these simple California Roll Sushi Bowls.
California Roll Sushi Bowls
California Roll Sushi Bowls - a healthy and low carb lunch or dinner to satisfy your sushi craving. So easy and less expensive than ordering takeout.
- For the Wasabi Cream:
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- For the sushi bowls:
- 16 ounces riced cauliflower about 4 cups, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat I used canned
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 1 sheet nori seaweed, cut into think strips
- 1/2 medium cucumber cut into matchsticks or rounds
- 1/3 cup shredded red cabbage for garnish
- 1/2 medium radish sliced into thin rounds, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon grated carrots for garnish (optional)
To make the wasabi cream:
Mix the ingredients for the cream in a small bowl until well combined.
For the sushi bowls:
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the cauliflower with the water and coconut oil Bring to a simmer, then cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until tender. Remove from the heat and let cool completely. Stir in the sesame oil.
In a medium bowl, combine the crab meat, mayonnaise and Sriracha. Stir until well mixed.
Divide the cauliflower rice among 4 serving bowls. Top each with one-quarter o the crab mixture, avocado slices, nori strips, cucumber, shredded cabbage and radish slices, if desired. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with the wasabi cream on the the side.
Reprinted with permission from Easy Keto Dinners cookbook by Carolyn Ketchum and Page Street Publishing