This Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl is an easy low carb recipe with all the delicious flavors of your favorite Chinese restaurant takeout dish. It’s made in less than 30 minutes and is perfect for busy weeknights. Gluten free, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
Raise your hand if you love egg rolls? Growing up in an Asian household, egg rolls a.k.a. Chinese Spring Rolls 炸春卷 were the quintessential party food appetizer. Who can resist that crispy crunchy coating with a flavorful savory filling.
I have so many fond memories of sitting at the kitchen table helping my mom making egg rolls at home. It’s especially fun when you have more family and friends over to help fill and fry up a few dozen or so for a big gathering.
SO WHAT ARE EGG ROLLS?
Egg rolls are cylindrical rolls that are deep-fried with a meat and vegetable based filling. Everyone loves them because they make a great snack or starter for any Asian style meal.
Did you know that egg rolls are based off of Chinese spring rolls made popular in North American Chinese takeout places and Chinese buffets?
They are typically made with wheat flour egg roll wrappers, ground pork, shredded cabbage and carrots. And the great thing about homemade egg rolls is that they can be assembled up to a day in advance and fried just before you plan to serve them.
EASY EGG ROLL IN A BOWL A.K.A. CRACK SLAW:
Today’s healthy egg roll in a bowl recipe uses everything you love about the popular takeout recipe, without the egg roll wrapper. So basically, you’re left with all the best parts of this popular Asian takeout appetizer.
This recipe became my favorite way to enjoy Chinese Egg Rolls once I switched over to a grain-free lifestyle due to my autoimmune condition. It’s a super tasty yet simple one pan stir-fry dish that you can make in under 30 minutes.
REASONS YOU’LL LOVE THIS HEALTHY EGG ROLL IN A BOWL:
- extremely macro friendly: 189 calories per serving, 29 grams of protein, 7 net carbs and 5 grams of fat
- Weight Watcher Friendly: (per 2 cup serving – Freestyle Smart Points: 1)
- sugar free, sweetener free and diabetic friendly
- gluten free, low carb, keto, paleo and Whole30 compliant
- an egg roll without the wrapper means –> less work –> no deep frying
- 30 minute family friendly one pan meal that’s easy to customize
- simple pantry ingredients and great for using up leftovers
- perfect for meal prep or pack up leftovers for work or school lunch-bowls
As much as my family loves egg rolls, they definitely agree that egg roll bowls are crack slaw. They are just as good as what you’d get in a restaurant, and so much easier to make. You can make crack slaw anytime you need a quick and healthy lunch, dinner, or just for those times when you have a Chinese food hankering.
INGREDIENTS FOR KETO EGG ROLL IN A BOWL:
The best part about this quick and simple stir-fry dish is that you can easily customize the ingredients according to what you like or have in your pantry.
For today’s easy family-friendly recipe, we are going to be using:
- GROUND MEAT: For this recipe, I used ground turkey but you ground pork or ground chicken would be delicious. And for a vegetarian egg roll in a bowl, try using baked tempeh or crispy & scrambled baked tofu
- FRESH VEGETABLES: I used a mix of shredded cabbage, purple cabbage and grated carrots – sliced mushrooms & broccoli would be also be fantastic in here
- HERBS AND AROMATICS: ginger garlic, parsley, green onions and sesame seeds
SEASONINGS FOR PALEO EGG ROLL IN A BOWL
- COCONUT AMINOS – a gluten free, soy free and Whole30 friendly alternative to soy sauce / tamari – however you can use any that works for you and your diet
- FISH SAUCE – a game changer and adds SO much umami flavor – if you’re allergic or not a fan, you can also use mushroom powder or five spice powder instead
- VINEGAR – Apple cider vinegar or use rice vinegar if you have no dietary concerns
- SESAME OIL OR TAHINI – adds a rich nuttiness to punch up the flavor
- CHILI SAUCE – use your favorite WHOLE30 compliant, SRIRACHA, GOCHUJANG etc.
- SWEETENER OF CHOICE: I did not add any sweetener but use any that fits into your diet: monk fruit, honey, coconut sugar etc.
HOW TO MAKE EGG ROLL IN A BOWL:
- Start off by heating the sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add the white parts of the green onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds – 1 minute until fragrant.
- Next, you’re going to add the ground turkey, while breaking it up followed by the coconut aminos, fish sauce, remaining sesame oil, vinegar and season with salt and black pepper as needed. Cook the turkey until browned and cooked through.
- Add the shredded cabbage and carrots and toss until the vegetables are tender-crisp (about 3 minutes). Taste and add additional coconut aminos, salt, black pepper and water or chicken broth as needed.
- Garnish with cilantro, green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve over cauliflower rice and hot sauce, if desired along with any of your favorite sides.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST LOW CARB EGG ROLL IN A BOWL:
- saute your vegetables for too long, otherwise, they can get too soft and mushy
- add more liquid (broth, water, coconut aminos) plus xanthan gum (or cornstarch slurry if your diet allows) for a thicker sauce
- taste and add more seasoning as you go
Can I use coleslaw mix or prepackaged / shredded cabbage slaw?
Definitely. You can either shred your own cabbage and grate the carrots or buy packaged tri-color coleslaw or packaged shredded cabbage in the grocery store. That will help cut back on your prep time even more!
Can I use ground pork or ground chicken?
Yes. Feel free to use any type of ground meat you like.
How can I make this a vegan egg roll in a bowl?
Leave out the ground meat and use tempeh or tofu instead.
What else can I serve with gluten free egg roll in a bowl?
I serve my egg roll bowls with some soft-boiled eggs, avocado and a side of chili sauce. They are the perfect complement to the savory filling.
Can I make egg roll in a bowl in an Instant Pot pressure cooker?
Yes! To make Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl, simply saute the ground meat in the Inner Pot then add all the seasoning followed by the cabbage. Close the lid and set the pressure cooker to 0 minutes on Manual / Pressure Cook mode. Once the cooking cycle has ended, do a quick release and you’re ready to serve Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl!
How to store and reheat keto egg roll in a bowl?
The great thing about this easy make ahead recipe is that it stores well in a covered container for up to 4 days in the fridge. You can reheat this in the microwave or on a skillet over medium high heat. When reheating, add a little bit of liquid (broth, coconut aminos, water) to bring the flavors out.
Is paleo egg roll in a bowl freezer-friendly?
I have not tried but I imagine it would work. Simply store in a freezer-safe container with a lid in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat in a skillet or microwave.
More Asian style recipes
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Chicken Chow Mein Noodles
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Keto Cashew Chicken
- Slow Cooker General Tso
This Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl is an easy low carb recipe with all the delicious flavors of your favorite Chinese restaurant takeout dish. It's made in less than 30 minutes and is perfect for busy weeknights. Gluten free, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
- 1.5 teaspoons avocado oil
- 3 green onions sliced, green & white parts divided
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger , freshly grated or minced
- 1 lb ground turkey , or ground pork, chicken or beef
- salt and black pepper , to taste
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos , if not Whole30 can also use tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce , can use 1/2 teaspoon Trader Joe's Mushroom Umami Seasoning instead
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar , or rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage , or one 10 oz tri-color coleslaw mix or Broccoli Slaw)
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage , leave out if using coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup grated carrots , (leave out if using coleslaw mix
- Sesame seeds
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Your favorite compliant chili sauce , sriracha, Gochujang, etc.
Heat avocado oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add the white parts of the green onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Next, add the ground turkey, while breaking it up and cook until browned and cooked through.
Add the shredded cabbage (or coleslaw mix) followed by the carrots, coconut aminos, fish sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and season with salt and black pepper as needed. Toss until the vegetables are tender-crisp (about 3 minutes). Taste and add additional coconut aminos, salt, black pepper as needed.
Garnish with cilantro, green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve over cauliflower rice with chili sauce, along with any of your favorite sides.
- 1 Freestyle Smart Point (with ground turkey or chicken)