This Egg Roll in a Bowl is an easy low-carb dinner with everything you love about the egg rolls from your favorite Chinese restaurant, minus the pesky wrappers. Show busy weeknights who’s boss with this healthy 20-minute recipe! Gluten free, keto, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
PIN HERE for later and follow my boards for more recipe ideas
Updated February 2022
Easy Egg Roll In a Bowl Recipe
Do you ever wish you could eat an entire bowl of that scrumptious filling inside of your egg rolls? This Egg Roll In a Bowl has everything you love about the delicious egg roll filling served in a bowl. It’s an easy meal that combines ground turkey, shredded vegetables and a slew of seasonings into one steam plate of savory goodness. Instead of wrapping the egg roll filling in egg roll wrappers, you serve the filling over a side of Jasmine rice or cauliflower rice for a healthy low carb dinner.
Growing up in a Chinese household, egg rolls (or Chinese spring rolls 炸春卷 ) were the quintessential party appetizer. They have a knack for making everyone happy! And the same is true for this hearty one-pan spin-off recipe!
What is an Egg Roll in a Bowl?
An “egg roll in a bowl” refers to a full serving of egg roll filling that’s served over a bed of rice rather than tucked into little wheat wrappers. By omitting said wrappers, there’s no deep frying involved! The lack of egg roll wrappers also makes this recipe gluten-free in addition to being keto, paleo and Whole30 compliant. Need a vegan version? Head on over to this Vegetarian Egg Roll In a Bowl recipe.
Why we love this recipe
- A 30 minute family friendly one pan meal that’s easy to customize
- Uses everything you love about the popular takeout recipe, without the wheat wrapper.
- Uses simple pantry ingredients you can find in your local grocery store and great for using up leftovers
- Perfect for meal prep or pack up leftovers for work or school lunch-bowls
Everything on this ingredient list should be super accessible and affordable. You can find it all at your local grocery store!
- Avocado Oil: Or olive oil.
- Onions: Sliced, green and white parts divided.
- Minced Garlic: You’ll need about 3 cloves.
- Ginger: Freshly grated or minced.
- Ground Turkey: Ground pork and chicken are also great options! I would not suggest ground beef, as it won’t compliment the other flavors as well. And for a vegetarian or vegan egg roll in a bowl, try using baked tempeh or crispy & scrambled baked tofu
- Salt & Pepper: To taste.
- Coconut Aminos: We use Noble Made by The New Primal. If you’re not Whole30, you can use tamari or low-sodium soy sauce instead.
- Fish Sauce: We use Red Boat. Substitution options include miso paste and Trader Joe’s mushroom powder.
- Apple cider vinegar: Or rice vinegar.
- Toasted Sesame Oil OR TAHINI: Half a teaspoon of this nutty oil adds great flavor to the dish.
- Shredded Green Cabbage: You could also use one 10-oz tri-color coleslaw mix or broccoli slaw.
- Shredded Purple Cabbage: Leave this out if you’re using a coleslaw mix.
- Grated Carrots: These should also be left out if a coleslaw mix is being used.
- Chili Sauce – use your favorite WHOLE30 compliant, SRIRACHA, GOCHUJANG etc.
- Sweetener: I did not add any sweetener but use any that fits into your diet: monk fruit, honey, coconut sugar etc.
How to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl
Be sure to read these step-by-step instructions or watch the video below to see how easy this keto egg roll in a bowl is to make!
- Heat Oil: Heat the avocado oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté Onion: Add the white parts of the green onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Cook Meat: Next, add the ground turkey while breaking up any clumps, followed by the coconut aminos, fish sauce, sesame oil and vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper as needed. Sauté the ground turkey until it’s browned and cooked through.
- Stir in Vegetables: Add the shredded cabbage and carrots and toss until the vegetables are tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Taste and add additional coconut aminos, salt, black pepper and water or chicken broth as needed.
- Garnish & Serve: Top the mixture with cilantro, green onions and sesame seeds. Serve it over cauliflower or jasmine rice and add a drizzle of hot sauce, if desired.
Tips for Success
We have a few suggestions for this recipe to make the best egg roll skillet! Keep the following tips and tricks in mind when you’re whipping up your egg roll in a bowl.
- Use a Coleslaw Mix to Save Time: In a rush to get dinner on the table? Take the route of a packaged coleslaw mix to make this recipe even quicker.
- Don’t Overcook the Veggies: Sautéing your vegetables for too long could cause them to become mushy. I wouldn’t let them cook for much longer than 3 minutes.
- Thicken the Sauce: If your diet permits, you can add more liquid (broth, water or coconut aminos) plus xanthan gum or a cornstarch slurry for a thicker sauce.
- Use the Instant Pot Instead: You can make this dish in the Instant Pot by sautéing the ground meat in the inner pot, then adding all the seasonings followed by the cabbage. Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to 0 minutes on Manual/Pressure Cook mode. Once the cooking cycle has ended, do a quick release and you’re ready to serve!
The fun thing about this recipe is how versatile it is! You can really make it your own, whether you use different spices, change up the meat or substitute the cabbage and carrots for whatever veggies you have laying around in the fridge. Here are some variations to experiment with!
- Use Ground Turkey or Chicken
- Use a Plant-Based Ground
- Serve Over Spaghetti Squash
- Serve in Lettuce Cups
- Add Chili Powder
- Add Celery
Want to make your egg roll in a bowl extra special? One of these simple serving ideas should do the trick!
- Top with a Fried Egg: I love putting a fried egg on top of my egg roll filling. It’s a classic addition that ties the whole dish together. You could also go with a soft-boiled egg – equally delicious!
- Serve with Avocado Fries: I find that avocados and egg rolls pair together perfectly. Try serving your egg roll in a bowl with a side of my crispy Avocado Fries and you’ll see what I mean!
- Top with Nuts: Give this dish a satisfying crunch by topping it with chopped peanuts, cashews or almonds. Just make sure the nuts you use work with your diet.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftover egg roll filling in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can reheat it in the microwave or on a skillet over medium-high heat. While it’s reheating, add a little bit of broth, coconut aminos or water to bring the flavors back out.
Can I Freeze This?
Yes, you can easily store this egg roll filling in the freezer, if desired.
How to freeze: To freeze, store in an airtight, freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to reheat: Thaw frozen egg roll filling in the fridge overnight before reheating it, adding coconut aminos or water as necessary.
More Healthy Dinner Ideas
Stop stressing over dinner and find recipes you can count on being quick, easy and healthy. Start with the ones below!
This Egg Roll in a Bowl is an easy low-carb dinner with everything you love about the egg rolls from your favorite Chinese restaurant, minus the pesky wrappers. Show busy weeknights who's boss with this healthy 20-minute recipe!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- 6 green onions sliced green and white parts divided
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground turkey or sub with preferred ground protein
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos can sub with gluten-free Tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce we use Red Boat , can also use 1/2 teaspoon Trader Joe's Mushroom Umami Seasoning OR Miso Paste if you don't like or have fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage or one 14 oz tri-color coleslaw mix or Broccoli Slaw
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage leave out if using coleslaw mix
- 3/4 cup matchstick cut carrots or grated carrots leave out if using coleslaw mix
- Fine sea salt or kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayo or avocado oil mayo
- 1-2 tablespoons Steve's Paleo Sriracha or other compliant or preferred hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar or coconut vinegar
- Fresh cilantro , some chopped
- Extra green onions
- Sesame seeds
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add the white parts of the green onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute until fragrant, while stirring frequently.
- Next, add the ground turkey, while breaking it up and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Add the green shredded cabbage (or coleslaw mix) followed by the red cabbage, carrots, coconut aminos, fish sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and season with salt and black pepper as needed. Cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender or cooked to your liking (about 4-5 minutes), while stirring occasionally. Taste and add additional coconut aminos, salt, black pepper as needed.
- Garnish with cilantro, green onions and sesame seeds.
Transfer to bowls.
Transfer to bowls.
Make the optional chili mayo sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, hot sauce and vinegar. Season to taste with salt.
Drizzle in a zigzag pattern over the egg roll bowl and add some sliced avocado and serve with preferred garnishes.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftover egg roll filling in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can reheat it in the microwave or on a skillet over medium-high heat. While it's reheating, add a little bit of broth, coconut aminos or water to bring the flavors back out.
How to freeze
To freeze, store in an airtight, freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to reheat
Thaw frozen egg roll filling in the fridge overnight before reheating it, adding coconut aminos or water as necessary.
**1 Freestyle Smart Point (with ground turkey or chicken)
Updated 2022 Photography by: Casey Colodny / The Mindful Hapa
Lynn Adams -
I drizzled it with siracha mayo instead of making the sauce. It was very good!…..no – actually it was addicting!
Emily Stone -
this recipe is the bomb!! it was so delicious! the whole family loved it, my daughter requested it again tomorrow, and my boyfriend who previously didn’t eat/like vegetables ate it and loved it also. highly recommend. i am allergic to garlic so i had to omit that, and instead of garlic added some green stalk parts of the green scallions, and also omitted fish sauce. i added a pinch more rice vinegar, and did a combo of braggs aminos and gluten free soy sauce. yum! Thanks for sharing this.
absolutely delicious! made mine with tofu and devoured it!
Delicious! I love this recipe, mushrooms amd carrots are a must! Super quick- add the egg it isnt the same without it
I TRIED LAST NIGHT AND MY KIDS SAID IT WAS VERY YUMMY