This Egg Roll in a Bowl is an easy low-carb dinner with everything you love about the egg rolls from your favorite Chinese restaurant, minus the pesky wrappers. Show busy weeknights who’s boss with this healthy 20-minute recipe! Gluten free, keto, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
Updated September 2021
Easy Egg Roll In a Bowl
Do you ever wish you could eat an entire bowl of that scrumptious filling inside of your egg rolls? This Egg Roll In a Bowl has everything you love about the delicious egg roll filling served in a bowl. It’s an easy meal that combines ground turkey, shredded vegetables and a slew of seasonings into one steam plate of savory goodness. Instead of wrapping the egg roll filling in egg roll wrappers, you serve the filling over a side of Jasmine rice or cauliflower rice for a healthy low carb dinner.
Growing up in a Chinese household, egg rolls (or Chinese spring rolls 炸春卷 ) were the quintessential party appetizer. They have a knack for making everyone happy! And the same is true for this hearty one-pan spin-off recipe!
What is an Egg Roll in a Bowl?
An “egg roll in a bowl” refers to a full serving of egg roll filling that’s served over a bed of rice rather than tucked into little wheat wrappers. By omitting said wrappers, there’s no deep frying involved! The lack of egg roll wrappers also makes this recipe gluten-free in addition to being keto, paleo and Whole30 compliant. Need a vegan version? Head on over to this recipe.
Why we love this recipe
- A 30 minute family friendly one pan meal that’s easy to customize
- Uses everything you love about the popular takeout recipe, without the wheat wrapper.
- Uses simple pantry ingredients you can find in your local grocery store and great for using up leftovers
- Perfect for meal prep or pack up leftovers for work or school lunch-bowls
Everything on this ingredient list should be super accessible and affordable. You can find it all at your local grocery store!
- Avocado Oil: Or olive oil.
- Onions: Sliced, green and white parts divided.
- Minced Garlic: You’ll need about 3 cloves.
- Ginger: Freshly grated or minced.
- Ground Turkey: Ground pork and chicken are also great options! I would not suggest ground beef, as it won’t compliment the other flavors as well. And for a vegetarian or vegan egg roll in a bowl, try using baked tempeh or crispy & scrambled baked tofu
- Salt & Pepper: To taste.
- Coconut Aminos: We use Noble Made by The New Primal. If you’re not Whole30, you can use tamari or low-sodium soy sauce instead.
- Fish Sauce: We use Red Boat. Substitution options include miso paste and Trader Joe’s mushroom powder.
- Apple cider vinegar: Or rice vinegar.
- Toasted Sesame Oil OR TAHINI: Half a teaspoon of this nutty oil adds great flavor to the dish.
- Shredded Green Cabbage: You could also use one 10-oz tri-color coleslaw mix or broccoli slaw.
- Shredded Purple Cabbage: Leave this out if you’re using a coleslaw mix.
- Grated Carrots: These should also be left out if a coleslaw mix is being used.
- Chili Sauce – use your favorite WHOLE30 compliant, SRIRACHA, GOCHUJANG etc.
- Sweetener: I did not add any sweetener but use any that fits into your diet: monk fruit, honey, coconut sugar etc.
How to Make an Egg Roll in a Bowl
Be sure to read these step-by-step instructions or watch the video below to see how easy this keto egg roll in a bowl is to make!
- Heat Oil: Heat the avocado oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté Onion: Add the white parts of the green onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Cook Meat: Next, add the ground turkey while breaking up any clumps, followed by the coconut aminos, fish sauce, sesame oil and vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper as needed. Sauté the ground turkey until it’s browned and cooked through.
- Stir in Vegetables: Add the shredded cabbage and carrots and toss until the vegetables are tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Taste and add additional coconut aminos, salt, black pepper and water or chicken broth as needed.
- Garnish & Serve: Top the mixture with cilantro, green onions and sesame seeds. Serve it over cauliflower or jasmine rice and add a drizzle of hot sauce, if desired.
Tips for Success
I have a few suggestions for this recipe that I’m happy to share with you! Keep the following tips and tricks in mind when you’re whipping up your egg roll in a bowl.
- Use a Coleslaw Mix to Save Time: In a rush to get dinner on the table? Take the route of a packaged coleslaw mix to make this recipe even quicker.
- Don’t Overcook the Veggies: Sautéing your vegetables for too long could cause them to become mushy. I wouldn’t let them cook for much longer than 3 minutes.
- Thicken the Sauce: If your diet permits, you can add more liquid (broth, water or coconut aminos) plus xanthan gum or a cornstarch slurry for a thicker sauce.
- Use the Instant Pot Instead: You can make this dish in the Instant Pot by sautéing the ground meat in the inner pot, then adding all the seasonings followed by the cabbage. Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to 0 minutes on Manual/Pressure Cook mode. Once the cooking cycle has ended, do a quick release and you’re ready to serve!
The fun thing about this recipe is how versatile it is! You can really make it your own, whether you use different spices, change up the meat or substitute the cabbage and carrots for whatever veggies you have laying around in the fridge. Here are some variations to experiment with!
- Use Ground Turkey or Chicken
- Use a Plant-Based Ground
- Serve Over Spaghetti Squash
- Serve in Lettuce Cups
- Add Chili Powder
- Add Celery
Want to make your egg roll in a bowl extra special? One of these simple serving ideas should do the trick!
- Top with a Fried Egg: I love putting a fried egg on top of my egg roll filling. It’s a classic addition that ties the whole dish together. You could also go with a soft-boiled egg – equally delicious!
- Serve with Avocado Fries: I find that avocados and egg rolls pair together perfectly. Try serving your egg roll in a bowl with a side of my crispy Avocado Fries and you’ll see what I mean!
- Top with Nuts: Give this dish a satisfying crunch by topping it with chopped peanuts, cashews or almonds. Just make sure the nuts you use work with your diet.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftover egg roll filling in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can reheat it in the microwave or on a skillet over medium-high heat. While it’s reheating, add a little bit of broth, coconut aminos or water to bring the flavors back out.
Can I Freeze This?
Yes, you can easily store this egg roll filling in the freezer, if desired. It will last for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container. Thaw frozen egg roll filling in the fridge overnight before reheating it, adding coconut aminos or water as necessary.
More Healthy Dinner Ideas
Stop stressing over dinner and find recipes you can count on being quick, easy and healthy. Start with the ones below!
This Egg Roll in a Bowl is an easy low-carb dinner with everything you love about the egg rolls from your favorite Chinese restaurant, minus the pesky wrappers. Show busy weeknights who's boss with this healthy 20-minute recipe!
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 3 green onions sliced, green & white parts divided
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger , freshly grated or minced
- 1 lb ground turkey , or ground pork, chicken or beef
- salt and black pepper , to taste
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos (we use Noble Made by The New Primal) , if not Whole30 can also use tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce (we use Red Boat) , can also use 1/2 teaspoon Trader Joe's Mushroom Umami Seasoning OR Miso Paste if you don't like or have fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar , or rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage , or one 10 oz tri-color coleslaw mix or Broccoli Slaw
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage , leave out if using coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup grated carrots , leave out if using coleslaw mix
- Sesame seeds
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Your favorite Whole30 compliant chili sauce or Sriracha, Gochujang, etc.
- Fried Egg or Soft-Boiled Egg
Heat avocado oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add the white parts of the green onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Next, add the ground turkey, while breaking it up and cook until browned and cooked through.
Add the shredded cabbage (or coleslaw mix) followed by the carrots, coconut aminos, fish sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and season with salt and black pepper as needed. Toss until the vegetables are tender-crisp (about 3 minutes). Taste and add additional coconut aminos, salt, black pepper as needed.
Garnish with cilantro, green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve over cauliflower rice with chili sauce, along with any of your favorite sides.
1 Freestyle Smart Point (with ground turkey or chicken)