This Egg Roll in a Bowl is a healthy low carb dinner recipe with all the delicious flavors of an Asian egg roll from a Chinese restaurant without the egg roll wrapper. It’s easy to make in one pan in less than 30 minutes and is perfect for busy weeknights. Gluten free, keto, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
Updated April 2021
Easy Egg Roll In a Bowl Recipe
Raise your hand if you love egg rolls? Growing up in an Asian household, egg rolls a.k.a. Chinese Spring Rolls 炸春卷 were the quintessential party food appetizer. Who can resist that crispy crunchy coating with a flavorful savory filling.
This Egg Roll In a Bowl has everything you love about the delicious egg roll filling served in a bowl. Instead of wrapping the egg roll filling in egg roll wrappers, you serve the filling over a side of Jasmine rice or cauliflower rice for a healthy low carb dinner. Looking for a vegan version? You’re going to love our Vegetarian Egg Roll in a Bowl.
What is Egg Roll in a Bowl
Egg rolls are cylindrical rolls that are deep-fried with a meat and vegetable based filling. Everyone loves them because they make a great snack or starter for any Asian-style meal. They are typically made with wheat flour egg roll wrappers, ground pork, shredded cabbage and carrots.
An egg roll bowl takes the mess and stress out of homemade egg rolls. This easy recipe has all the egg roll flavors you love inside a bowl minus the egg roll wrappers. Made with sautéed ground turkey, hearty fresh vegetables with a savory and delicious Asian-inspired sauce.
Why we love this recipe
- A 30 minute family friendly one pan meal that’s easy to customize
- Uses everything you love about the popular takeout recipe, without the wheat wrapper.
- Uses simple pantry ingredients you can find in your local grocery store and great for using up leftovers
- Perfect for meal prep or pack up leftovers for work or school lunch-bowls
Ingredients you need
The best part about this crack slaw recipe is that you can easily customize the ingredients according to what you like or have in your pantry.
For today’s easy family-friendly recipe, we are going to be using:
- Ground meat: For this recipe, I used ground turkey but ground pork or ground chicken would be delicious. I would not suggest ground beef as that will alter the taste. And for a vegetarian or vegan egg roll in a bowl, try using baked tempeh or crispy & scrambled baked tofu
- Fresh vegetables: I used a mix of shredded cabbage, purple cabbage and grated carrots. Sliced mushrooms & broccoli would be also be fantastic in here
- Herbs and toppings: ginger garlic, parsley, green onions and toasted sesame seeds
- Coconut Aminos – a gluten free, soy free and Whole30 friendly alternative to soy sauce / tamari – however you can use any that works for you and your diet
- Fish Sauce – a game changer and adds SO much umami flavor – if you’re allergic or not a fan, you can also use miso paste, Trader Joe’s mushroom powder or maybe even five spice powder instead
- Vinegar – Apple cider vinegar or use rice vinegar if you have no dietary concerns
- Sesame Oil OR TAHINI – adds a rich nuttiness to punch up the flavor
- Chili Sauce – use your favorite WHOLE30 compliant, SRIRACHA, GOCHUJANG etc.
- Sweetener: I did not add any sweetener but use any that fits into your diet: monk fruit, honey, coconut sugar etc.
How to make Egg Roll in a Bowl:
Be sure to read the step-by-step instructions and photos or watch the video below to see how easy this Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl is to make!
- Sauté Aromatics: Heat the sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add the white parts of the green onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds – 1 minute until fragrant.
- Cook the ground meat: Next, you’re going to add the ground turkey, while breaking it up followed by the coconut aminos, fish sauce, remaining sesame oil, vinegar and season with salt and black pepper as needed. Cook the turkey until browned and cooked through.
- Stir in the the vegetables: Add the shredded cabbage and carrots and toss until the vegetables are tender-crisp (about 3 minutes). Taste and add additional coconut aminos, salt, black pepper and water or chicken broth as needed.
- Garnish: Top with cilantro, green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve over cauliflower rice and hot sauce, if desired along with any of your favorite sides.
Tips for making the best Egg Roll in a Bowl:
- Do NOT sauté your vegetables for too long, otherwise, they can get too soft and mushy
- add more liquid (broth, water, coconut aminos) plus xanthan gum (or cornstarch slurry if your diet allows) for a thicker sauce
- Taste and add more seasoning as you go
- Use coleslaw mix or prepackaged shredded cabbage slaw to help cut back on prep time
- Make in the Instant Pot: To make To make Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl, simply saute the ground meat in the Inner Pot then add all the seasoning followed by the cabbage. Close the lid and set the pressure cooker to 0 minutes on Manual / Pressure Cook mode. Once the cooking cycle has ended, do a quick release and you’re ready to serve Instant Pot Egg Roll Bowl!
Storage and Freezer Instructions
How to store and reheat
The great thing about this easy make ahead recipe is that it stores well in a covered container for up to 4 days in the fridge. You can reheat this in the microwave or on a skillet over medium high heat. When reheating, add a little bit of liquid (broth, coconut aminos, water) to bring the flavors out.
Can You Freeze Egg Roll Filling?
You can store this egg roll filling in the freezer, if desired. It will last for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container. Thaw frozen egg roll filling in the fridge overnight before reheating, adding coconut aminos or water as necessary.
Topping Ideas and Serving Suggestions
What goes with egg roll in a bowl? Here are some ideas you might like!
- Top with a Fried Egg: I love putting a fried egg on top of these egg rolls. It’s a classic addition that ties the whole dish together!
- Top with Nuts: Give your egg roll a satisfying crunch by topping it with chopped peanuts, cashews or almonds.
- Serve Over Rice: I like to serve my the filling over cauliflower rice, topped with a drizzle of chili sauce or sriracha. Just make sure the sauce you use is compliant with your dietary needs.
- Serve with Avocado: I find that avocados and egg rolls pair together perfectly. Try serving your egg roll with a side of my crispy Avocado Fries.
How can I make this egg roll in a bowl vegan?
To make Vegan Egg Roll in a Bowl, leave out the ground meat and fish sauce and use miso and tempeh or baked or air fryer tofu.
Can I use another ground meat?
Yes. I used ground turkey but it would also work if you used ground chicken, ground pork or plant-based ground.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is Egg Roll in a Bowl healthy?
Yes. This recipe is not only sugar free, sweetener free and diabetic friendly, it is also:
- gluten free, low carb, keto, paleo and Whole30 compliant
- an egg roll without the wrapper means –> less work –> no deep frying
Is this egg roll bowl recipe Whole30?
Yes, this recipe calls for Whole30 compliant ingredients and works perfectly if you whether you are doing a January Whole30 or a September Whole30.
More low carb recipes you’ll love:
This Egg Roll in a Bowl is an easy low carb recipe with all the delicious flavors of your favorite Chinese restaurant takeout dish. It's made in less than 30 minutes and is perfect for busy weeknights. Gluten free, keto, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 3 green onions sliced, green & white parts divided
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger , freshly grated or minced
- 1 lb ground turkey , or ground pork, chicken or beef
- salt and black pepper , to taste
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos (we use Noble Made by The New Primal) , if not Whole30 can also use tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce (we use Red Boat) , can also use 1/2 teaspoon Trader Joe's Mushroom Umami Seasoning OR Miso Paste if you don't like or have fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar , or rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage , or one 10 oz tri-color coleslaw mix or Broccoli Slaw
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage , leave out if using coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup grated carrots , leave out if using coleslaw mix
- Sesame seeds
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Your favorite Whole30 compliant chili sauce or Sriracha, Gochujang, etc.
- Fried Egg or Soft-Boiled Egg
Heat avocado oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add the white parts of the green onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Next, add the ground turkey, while breaking it up and cook until browned and cooked through.
Add the shredded cabbage (or coleslaw mix) followed by the carrots, coconut aminos, fish sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and season with salt and black pepper as needed. Toss until the vegetables are tender-crisp (about 3 minutes). Taste and add additional coconut aminos, salt, black pepper as needed.
Garnish with cilantro, green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve over cauliflower rice with chili sauce, along with any of your favorite sides.
- 1 Freestyle Smart Point (with ground turkey or chicken)