This Egg Roll in a Bowl is a healthy low carb dinner recipe with all the delicious flavors of an Asian egg roll from a Chinese restaurant without the egg roll wrapper. It’s easy to make in one pan in less than 30 minutes and is perfect for busy weeknights. Gluten free, keto, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
Healthy Quick and Easy Dinner Idea
Raise your hand if you love egg rolls? Growing up in an Asian household, egg rolls a.k.a. Chinese Spring Rolls 炸春卷 were the quintessential party food appetizer. Who can resist that crispy crunchy coating with a flavorful savory filling.
I have so many fond memories of sitting at the kitchen table helping my mom make her egg roll recipe at home. It’s especially fun when you have more family and friends over to help fill and fry up a few dozen or so for a big gathering.
This Egg Roll In a Bowl starts off with that same delicious egg roll filling we all love. Instead of wrapping them in an egg roll wrapper, you serve the filling over a side of cauliflower rice or Jasmine rice for a healthy dinner.
What is Egg Roll in a Bowl
Egg rolls are cylindrical rolls that are deep-fried with a meat and vegetable based filling. Everyone loves them because they make a great snack or starter for any Asian style meal. They are typically made with wheat flour egg roll wrappers, ground pork, shredded cabbage and carrots.
An egg roll bowl is simply everything you fill an egg roll with, minus the the wrappers. Be sure to watch the video below to see how easy it is to make!
Low Carb Egg Roll a.k.a. Crack Slaw
Today’s healthy egg roll in a bowl recipe uses everything you love about the popular takeout recipe, without the wheat wrapper. So basically, you’re left with all the best parts of this popular Asian takeout appetizer.
This keto egg roll bowl recipe became my favorite way to enjoy Chinese Egg Rolls once I switched over to a grain-free lifestyle due to my autoimmune condition. It’s a super tasty yet simple one pan stir-fry dish that you can make plus:
- it’s a 30 minute family friendly one pan meal that’s easy to customize
- uses simple pantry ingredients you can find in your local grocery store and great for using up leftovers
- perfect for meal prep or pack up leftovers for work or school lunch-bowls
As much as my family loves egg rolls, they definitely agree that healthy egg roll bowls are crack slaw. They are just as good as what you’d get in a restaurant, and so much easier to make. You can make crack slaw anytime you need a quick and healthy lunch, dinner, or just for those times when you have a Chinese food hankering.
Ingredients you need to make Keto Egg Roll in a Bowl:
The best part about this quick and simple stir-fry dish is that you can easily customize the ingredients according to what you like or have in your pantry.
For today’s easy family-friendly recipe, we are going to be using:
- GROUND MEAT: For this recipe, I used ground turkey but ground pork or ground chicken would be delicious. I would not suggest ground beef as that will alter the taste. And for a vegetarian or vegan egg roll in a bowl, try using baked tempeh or crispy & scrambled baked tofu
- FRESH VEGETABLES: I used a mix of shredded cabbage, purple cabbage and grated carrots – sliced mushrooms & broccoli would be also be fantastic in here
- HERBS AND TOPPINGS: ginger garlic, parsley, green onions and toasted sesame seeds
SEASONINGS FOR PALEO EGG ROLL IN A BOWL
- COCONUT AMINOS – a gluten free, soy free and Whole30 friendly alternative to soy sauce / tamari – however you can use any that works for you and your diet
- FISH SAUCE – a game changer and adds SO much umami flavor – if you’re allergic or not a fan, you can also use miso paste, Trader Joe’s mushroom powder or maybe even five spice powder instead
- VINEGAR – Apple cider vinegar or use rice vinegar if you have no dietary concerns
- SESAME OIL OR TAHINI – adds a rich nuttiness to punch up the flavor
- CHILI SAUCE – use your favorite WHOLE30 compliant, SRIRACHA, GOCHUJANG etc.
- SWEETENER OF CHOICE: I did not add any sweetener but use any that fits into your diet: monk fruit, honey, coconut sugar etc.
How to make Egg Roll in a Bowl:
Be sure to read the step-by-step instructions and photos or watch the video below to see how easy this is to make!
- SAUTE AROMATICS: Heat the sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add the white parts of the green onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds – 1 minute until fragrant.
- COOK THE PROTEIN: Next, you’re going to add the ground turkey, while breaking it up followed by the coconut aminos, fish sauce, remaining sesame oil, vinegar and season with salt and black pepper as needed. Cook the turkey until browned and cooked through.
- STIR IN VEGETABLES: Add the shredded cabbage and carrots and toss until the vegetables are tender-crisp (about 3 minutes). Taste and add additional coconut aminos, salt, black pepper and water or chicken broth as needed.
- GARNISH with cilantro, green onions and sesame seeds.
- SERVE over cauliflower rice and hot sauce, if desired along with any of your favorite sides.
Tips for making the best Egg Roll in a Bowl:
- do NOT saute your vegetables for too long, otherwise, they can get too soft and mushy
- add more liquid (broth, water, coconut aminos) plus xanthan gum (or cornstarch slurry if your diet allows) for a thicker sauce
- taste and add more seasoning as you go
Storage and Freezer Instructions
How to store and reheat this egg roll bowl?
The great thing about this easy make ahead recipe is that it stores well in a covered container for up to 4 days in the fridge. You can reheat this in the microwave or on a skillet over medium high heat. When reheating, add a little bit of liquid (broth, coconut aminos, water) to bring the flavors out.
Can you freeze egg roll in a bowl?
I have not tried but I imagine it would work. Simply store in a freezer-safe container with a lid in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat in a skillet or microwave.
What goes with egg roll in a bowl?
I serve my egg roll bowls with some soft-boiled eggs, avocado and a side of chili sauce. They are the perfect complement to the savory filling.
Can I use another ground meat?
Yes. I used ground turkey but it would also work if you used ground chicken or ground pork.
How can I make this egg roll in a bowl vegan?
To make Vegan Egg Roll in a Bowl, leave out the ground meat and use tempeh or baked or air fryer tofu.
Frequently Asked Questions:
IS EGG ROLL IN A BOWL HEALTHY?
Yes. This Keto egg roll in a bowl recipe is not only sugar free, sweetener free and diabetic friendly, it is also:
- gluten free, low carb, keto, paleo and Whole30 compliant
- an egg roll without the wrapper means –> less work –> no deep frying
IS EGG ROLL IN A BOWL WHOLE30?
Yes, this recipe calls for Whole30 compliant ingredients and works perfectly if you whether you are doing a January Whole30 or a September Whole30.
HOW MANY CALORIES IN EGG ROLL IN A BOWL:
This Whole30 Egg Roll recipe is extremely macro friendly:
- 189 calories per serving
- 29 grams of protein
- 5 grams of fat
HOW MANY CARBS IN EGG ROLL IN A BOWL
One serving contains: 4g net carbs
HOW MANY POINTS IN AN EGG ROLL BOWL
- Weight Watcher Friendly: (per 2 cup serving – Freestyle Smart Points: 1)
Can I use coleslaw mix or prepackaged / shredded cabbage slaw?
Definitely. You can either shred your own cabbage and grate the carrots or buy packaged tri-color coleslaw or packaged shredded cabbage in the grocery store. That will help cut back on your prep time even more!
Can I make egg roll in a bowl Instant Pot?
Yes! To make Instant Pot Egg Roll in a Bowl, simply saute the ground meat in the Inner Pot then add all the seasoning followed by the cabbage. Close the lid and set the pressure cooker to 0 minutes on Manual / Pressure Cook mode. Once the cooking cycle has ended, do a quick release and you’re ready to serve Instant Pot Egg Roll Bowl!
More low carb recipes you’ll love:
This Egg Roll in a Bowl is an easy low carb recipe with all the delicious flavors of your favorite Chinese restaurant takeout dish. It's made in less than 30 minutes and is perfect for busy weeknights. Gluten free, keto, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
- 1.5 teaspoons avocado oil
- 3 green onions sliced, green & white parts divided
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger , freshly grated or minced
- 1 lb ground turkey , or ground pork, chicken or beef
- salt and black pepper , to taste
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos (we use Noble Made by The New Primal) , if not Whole30 can also use tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce (we use Red Boat) , can also use 1/2 teaspoon Trader Joe's Mushroom Umami Seasoning OR Miso Paste if you don't like or have fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar , or rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage , or one 10 oz tri-color coleslaw mix or Broccoli Slaw
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage , leave out if using coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup grated carrots , leave out if using coleslaw mix
- Sesame seeds
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Your favorite compliant chili sauce , sriracha, Gochujang, etc.
- Fried Egg or Soft-Boiled Egg
Heat avocado oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add the white parts of the green onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Next, add the ground turkey, while breaking it up and cook until browned and cooked through.
Add the shredded cabbage (or coleslaw mix) followed by the carrots, coconut aminos, fish sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and season with salt and black pepper as needed. Toss until the vegetables are tender-crisp (about 3 minutes). Taste and add additional coconut aminos, salt, black pepper as needed.
Garnish with cilantro, green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve over cauliflower rice with chili sauce, along with any of your favorite sides.
- 1 Freestyle Smart Point (with ground turkey or chicken)