Low Carb Chicken Souvlaki Bowls – the perfect healthy, low carb 30 minute dinner bursting with Mediterranean flavors. Best of all, it’s full of fresh bright flavors with tender chicken, grilled vegetables, olives, feta on a bed of cauliflower “rice”.
We swapped out the usual rice pilaf and potatoes with cauliflower “rice” and tons of colorful grilled veggies.
It’s quick, simple and perfect for those warm summer weeknight meals outside on the patio. And you can easily customize this with your favorite protein like turkey, beef or even shrimp.
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB CHICKEN SOUVLAKI BOWLS
- Start off by marinading the chicken in a large zip-top bag. For an easier make ahead option, you can combine the marinade and prep the chicken the night before so that all you really need to do is grill and assemble the bowls before you sit down to dinner.
- Once your chicken is ready for the grill, thread them onto skewers and grill on medium high heat.
- Chop and prep the vegetables then add them to the grill.
The great thing about this recipe is how easy it is to customize with what you have on hand. I used zucchini, sun-dried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, Kalamata olives, green olives, fresh herbs and some feta cheese. If you have some asparagus or broccoli, you can toss those onto the grill as well.
These bowls are also gluten free, low carb and keto friendly. For a paleo or dairy free option, leave out the cheese and Tzatziki sauce.
More recipes you might like:
Low Carb Chicken Souvlaki Bowls
Low Carb Chicken Souvlaki Bowls - the perfect healthy, low carb 30 minute dinner bursting with Mediterranean flavors. Best of all, it's full of fresh bright flavors with tender chicken, grilled vegetables, olives, feta on a bed of cauliflower "rice".
For the Chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup olive oil divided plus more for grill
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice about 2 large lemons
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon driedor 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh dill or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- salt and black pepper to taste
For the bowls
- 2 cups cooked cauliflower rice
- 2 sweet bell peppers red, orange or green
- 3 medium zucchini sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/3 cup Kalamata and green olives
- 1/3 cup feta cheese crumbled optional - leave out for dairy free option
For the Tsatziki Sauce optional - leave out for dairy free version
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 English cucumber with peel grated
- 1 clove garlic presssed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil parsley and/or dill
- Lemon wedges
Add marinade ingredients to a large zip-top bag and add chicken. Seal bag and using your hands, press down on the chicken to distribute marinade evenly. Refrigerate for 45 minutes to 2 hours.
**Heat the grill to medium high heat.
- Thread the chicken onto metal or presoaked wooden skewers (about 30 minutes in water)
- Brush the grates with olive oil then place the skewers over top. Grill the chicken for 3-4 minutes per side, gently flipping and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and has light char marks.
While the chicken is grilling, toss the zucchini, bell peppers and tomatoes onto the grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness.
Divide the cauliflower rice among bowls. Top with grilled vegetables, olives and chicken skewers.
Sprinkle with feta cheese and serve with optional toppings as desired.
OPTIONAL: To make the Tzatziki sauce:
Combine all the ingredients by hand or a blender (if you want it smooth). Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
**If you don't have a grill, you can also use a grill pan to cook everything on the stove.