Grilled Greek Chicken Souvlaki Quinoa Brown Rice Bowls – a Mediterranean inspired weeknight chicken dish full of bright flavors served with grilled vegetables, olives, feta on a bed of quinoa and brown rice. Gluten free and dairy free option.
Since we won’t be heading to Greece anytime soon, I made these Greek Chicken Souvlaki Quinoa Brown Rice Bowls to satisfy that craving. They come together easily and have a little bit of everything good.
Starting off with a base made with a combination of quinoa and brown rice that I received from my friends Hodgson Mill. I love that the quinoa is packaged up together with brown rice. My husband is always telling me that quinoa alone doesn’t fill him up so these sides are just perfect.
They come ready to cook in a variety of five flavors — Garlic & Herb, Italian, Lemon Pepper, Mediterranean and Spicy.
Plus they cook up in just 20 minutes and the Mediterranean flavor goes perfectly with the bright, lemony chicken. The flavorful marinade for the chicken is made up mostly of some lemon juice, red wine vinegar, basil, dill, oregano and thyme.
Next, these yummy bowls get topped off with some grilled vegetables.
I loaded mine up with zucchini, sun-dried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, Kalamata olives, black olives, fresh herbs and some feta cheese.
The best part about these bowls is, you can easily swap out whatever veggies you like or have on hand. They’re also gluten free and you can just leave out the cheese and Tzatziki sauce for a dairy free option.
These bowls make a healthy and flavorful meal perfect for anytime you are craving something fresh and simple.
Grilled Greek Chicken Souvlaki Quinoa Brown Rice Bowls
Grilled Greek Chicken Quinoa Brown Rice Bowls - a Mediterranean inspired weeknight chicken dish full of bright flavors served with grilled vegetables, olives, feta on a bed of quinoa and brown rice.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 600kcal Calories from fat 281|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 31g||48%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||32%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
- For the Chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup olive oil divided, plus more for grill
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh dill (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- salt and black pepper, to taste
For the bowls
- 2 cups cooked Hodgson Mill Quinoa Brown Rice
- 3 large sweet bell peppers (I used red, orange and green) diced into large chunks
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced into 1/4" rounds
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup jarred Artichoke Hearts, Quartered
- 1/3 cup Assorted Greek Olives
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional - leave out for dairy free option)
For the Tsatziki Sauce (optional - leave out for dairy free version)
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 English cucumber with peel, grated
- 1 clove garlic, presssed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil, parsley and/or dill
- Lemon wedges
- Whisk together marinade in a large bowl then add the cubed chicken and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate the chicken for 45 minutes to 2 hours.
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions and as desired.
- **Heat the grill to medium high heat.
- Thread the chicken onto metal or presoaked wooden skewers (about 30 minutes in water)
- Brush the grates with olive oil then place the skewers over top. Grill the chicken for 3-4 minutes per side, gently flipping and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and has light char marks.
- While the chicken is grilling, toss the zucchini, bell peppers, tomatoes and artichoke hearts onto the grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until tender.
- Fluff the quinoa brown rice and divide among bowls. Add grilled vegetables, olives and chicken skewers.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese and serve with extras as desired.
- To make the Tzatziki sauce: combine all the ingredients by hand or a blender (if you want it smooth). Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
**If you don't have a grill, you can also use a grill pan to cook everything on the stove.
Chicken marinade and tzatziki sauce adapted from Martha Stewart
I'd love to see! Just snap a photo and hashtag it #LIFEMADESWEETER or tag me @lifemadesweeter on Instagram!
DISCLAIMER: This is a sponsored post created in a compensated ambassadorship with Hodgson Mill. All opinions are 100% my own.