These Air Fryer Chickpeas are coated in a smoky seasoning blend and roasted to crispy perfection, you won’t be able to stop eating them! They’re a healthy snack or side dish that you can whip up in just 15 minutes. Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and packed with plant protein!
Crispy Air Fryer Roasted Chickpeas
At our house, any crunchy and savory snack never lasts for longer than an hour. We almost always enjoy one between lunch and dinner to keep our tummies from rumbling all afternoon. Lately, we’ve been making these crispy air-fried chickpeas and serving them with hummus and raw veggies.
Our family simply cannot get enough. We had to start making double batches in order to keep up! Whether you’re enjoying a laid-back movie night or rushing to prepare an after-school snack for your kids, these crunchy chickpeas will make everyone happy.
Are Chickpeas Healthy?
This dish is more than just a tasty snack – chickpeas are a superfood that contributes many nutrients to your diet. Also known as garbanzo beans, they’re a great source of vitamins and minerals. They also contain plenty of fiber and protein, making them a great meat substitute for vegans and vegetarians. Chickpeas are even linked with reducing the risk of certain diseases!
What You’ll Need
Another thing we love about chickpeas? Each can costs about a dollar. All the other ingredients used in this recipe are pantry staples.
- Canned Chickpeas: Rinsed and drained.
- Avocado Oil: Or olive oil.
- Nutritional Yeast: This healthy seasoning provides a buttery, cheese-like flavor.
- Smoked Paprika: For a touch of sharpness.
- Garlic Powder: I don’t recommend swapping this for freshly minced garlic.
- Kosher Salt: Or sea salt.
- Dried Oregano: Or another dried herb of choice.
- Black Pepper: Freshly cracked.
How to Roast Chickpeas in the Air Fryer
It’s not hard to cook up perfectly crispy chickpeas in the Air Fryer. And it uses much less oil than roasting them in the oven!
- Heat Air Fryer: If your Air Fryer requires preheating, heat it to 380°F.
- Prepare and Season the Chickpeas: Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then dry them off with a towel to remove any excess moisture. Transfer them to a bowl and drizzle them with the oil. Add the nutritional yeast, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper and dried oregano to the bowl with the chickpeas.
- Coat: Toss until all of the chickpeas are evenly coated in the seasoning blend.
- Roast: Transfer the seasoned chickpeas to the Air Fryer basket and try to spread them out in a single layer without overcrowding the basket. Roast them for 10-14 minutes, or until they’re golden and crispy, shaking the basket 3-4 times while cooking them.
- Enjoy! Serve the roasted chickpeas immediately.
Tips for Success
Don’t go dig out your Air Fryer just yet – first take a second to look over the following tips.
- Dry the Chickpeas Well: Make sure you thoroughly dry off your chickpeas after you rinse them. They won’t crisp up properly if they’re still moist.
- Air Fry in Batches if Needed: The chickpeas should be able to fit in a single layer in your Air Fryer basket. If they can’t, cook them in batches. Overcrowding the basket will leave you with a less crispy result.
- Don’t Forget to Shake the Basket: Another way to ensure all-around crispiness is by shaking the Air Fryer basket a few times throughout the cooking process.
- Serve Immediately: It’s definitely best to enjoy these within the first few hours of making them. The longer they sit, the more they lose their crispiness.
Looking for some other ways to flavor these roasted chickpeas? The possibilities are limitless.
- Use Cajun Seasoning
- Make Salt & Vinegar Chickpeas
- Use Ranch Seasoning
- Sub the Nutritional Yeast for Vegan Parmesan
- Use Blackened Seasoning
- Swap Out the Smoked Paprika for Curry Powder
- Use Steak Seasoning
Feel free to serve your roasted chickpeas alongside any dip you like. You certainly can’t go wrong with Vegan Ranch or Spinach Hummus! We also like to add some chopped carrots and celery to the mix for even more crunch and nutrition. Air Fryer chickpeas make an amazing salad topper too!
Can I Make These in Advance?
As mentioned, these chickpeas won’t be the same after they sit for more than a couple of hours. For this reason, we don’t suggest making them ahead of time – but any leftovers will last for about a day. Keep them in a jar covered loosely with a paper towel and pop them back into the Air Fryer to re-crisp them as best you can before chowing down.
More Air Fryer Snack Recipes
We love using my Air Fryer to make healthy snacks and appetizers. With these easy recipes, you will too!
These Air Fryer Chickpeas are coated in a smoky seasoning blend and roasted to crispy perfection, you won't be able to stop eating them! They're a healthy snack or side dish that you can whip up in just 15 minutes. Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan and packed with plant protein!
- 1 14-15 oz can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or sea salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
If your air fryer requires preheating, preheat to 380°F.
Drain and rinse the chickpeas, and dry them off with a towel to remove any excess moisture. Transfer them to a bowl, and drizzle with oil. Then season with nutritional yeast, paprika, garlic powder, salt, dried oregano and black pepper.
Toss until all of the chickpeas are evenly coated in the seasoning blend.
Transfer the chickpeas to the air fryer basket and try to spread them out in a single layer, without overcrowding the basket.
Air fry for 10-14 minutes, or until golden and crispy, shaking the basket 3-4 times while cooking.
Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce and chopped vegetables.
These are best served within the first few hours of making them. The texture gets soft once you refrigerate them.