This crispy Green Cabbage Salad is loaded with crunchy cabbage, fresh kale and tossed with a flavorful green goddess dressing! It’s a simple and healthy side dish or lunch that’s guaranteed to satisfy. Naturally vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, paleo, dairy-free and Whole30 compliant.
Crispy Green Cabbage Salad with Homemade Dressing
Craving a veggie-packed dish that’s full of nutrients and flavor? You’re going to love every bite of this Green Cabbage Salad that’s an explosion of freshness with the crispy cabbage, kale, crunchy cucumbers and the creamy avocado! Eating healthy has never felt so divine.
If you’re a fan of a crispy and satisfying salads from Panera, you’re going to be downright obsessed with this crispy kale salad. It’s healthier, easier, fresher, cheaper—and it comes together in a matter of minutes. Plus, our version complies with a much wider variety of dietary restrictions.
What You’ll Need
It’s time to reveal the wholesome ingredients that make up this satisfying salad. Off we go!
For the Crispy Cabbage Salad
- Green Cabbage: Or iceberg lettuce, shredded and finely chopped.
- Tuscan Kale: Curly or lacinato, shredded and finely chopped.
- Organic Baby Spinach: This superfood makes a great addition to any salad.
- Persian Cucumbers: Or a small English cucumber, sliced.
- Chives: Chopped.
- Green Onions: Or scallions, finely chopped.
- Avocado: Cut into chunks.
- Fresh Chopped Parsley: Or extra chives, to garnish the salad.
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper: For the garnish.
- Tortilla Chips: We love eating this salad like a dip with Siete’s grain-free tortilla chips for scooping!
For the Green Goddess Salad Dressing
- Fresh Cilantro: Also known as coriander, cilantro adds a nice punch of citrus. If you’re one of those people who can’t stand cilantro, feel free to use fresh basil or another desired herb instead.
- Fresh Parsley: This nutrient-rich herb has a peppery flavor with subtle earthy notes.
- Fresh Dill: Or tarragon, mint, thyme, rosemary, etc.
- Ripe Avocado: Ripe avocados have bumpy skin and yield ever so slightly to gentle pressure. Oftentimes, they are also darker in color.
- Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed. Lime juice works too – use what you like!
- Avocado Oil: Or extra virgin olive oil.
- Garlic: You’ll need 1 clove.
- Shallot: There’s no need for any slicing or dicing as this dressing will be blended in a food processor.
- Coconut Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar works too.
- Salt & Pepper: We like using sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
How to Make Green Cabbage Salad
Putting this salad together is almost too easy. Here’s how it’s done:
- Prepare Greens: Chop or dice up the cabbage, cucumbers, chives and green onions, then add them to a large bowl.
- Add Avocado: Remove the skin and pit from the avocado and cut it into chunks. Add it to the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Make Dressing: Add all of the dressing ingredients to a food processor or high-speed blender. Pulse until the dressing is nice and smooth.
- Add to Salad: Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Garnish: Garnish the dish with some more fresh parsley and freshly cracked black pepper. Enjoy it with a fork and/or tortilla chips for scooping.
Can I Make it in Advance?
Yes – feel free to make the salad and the dressing up to 1 day before you toss them together and serve. Store them in separate airtight containers in the fridge.
Tips for the Best Results
Determined to whip up the most amazing green cabbage kale salad of all time? Let’s make it happen!
- Fresh Ingredients are Key: From the produce to the lemon juice, it’s always best to use the freshest ingredients you can get your hands on. That’s what makes this salad so heavenly!
- Make it Your Own: This isn’t one of those recipes that you have to follow super strictly. Go ahead and load up your salad with whatever you’re craving!
- Adjust the Consistency of the Dressing: Once the dressing is blended and smooth, you may want to make it thinner or thicker. To make it thinner, simply add a small amount of water and re-blend it (a little goes a long way!). You can make it thicker by adding more of any solid ingredient.
Wondering what goes well with this crunchy kale salad? Honestly, we don’t know what doesn’t! We’ve rounded up a few standout pairing options to help you get inspired.
- Serve with Grilled Shrimp: These easy Grilled Shrimp Skewers are served with a zesty lemon butter sauce that’s going to knock your socks off! They complement this salad beautifully.
- Pair with Stuffed Peppers: If you’re looking for a hearty main course that’s vegan-friendly, you can’t go wrong with these Stuffed Peppers. They might just become a new family favorite!
- Serve with Skillet Chicken: This Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken is a low-carb masterpiece. It’s easy to make with a rich garlic sauce that’ll have you licking your plate!
How to Store Leftovers
It’s best to store the dressing separately from the salad if possible. Keep everything in airtight containers in the fridge either way. Enjoy your leftovers within 1-2 days.
Can I Freeze This?
I don’t recommend freezing your cabbage and kale salad or the dressing that goes with it. The thawing process would diminish the quality of the dish.
More Healthy Salad Recipes
Need more nutritious salads in your life? Say no more.
This crispy Green Cabbage Salad is loaded with crunchy cabbage, fresh kale and tossed with a flavorful green goddess dressing! It's a simple and healthy side dish or lunch that's guaranteed to satisfy. Naturally vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, paleo, dairy-free and Whole30 compliant.
- ½ small head of green cabbage or iceberg lettuce, shredded and finely chopped
- 1/4 bunch of curly or lacinato (Tuscan) kale shredded and finely chopped
- 2 Persian cucumbers or 1 small English cucumber, sliced
- 1 bundle of green onions or scallions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chives chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ ripe medium avocado cut into chunks
- fresh chopped parsley or extra chives, for garnish
- freshly cracked black pepper for garnish
- 2 lemons worth of lemon juice
- ⅓ cup avocado oil or olive oil
- 2 tbsp coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- ¼ ripe medium avocado
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small shallot
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
Chop or dice the cabbage, kale cucumbers, chives and green onions and add them to a large bowl along with the baby spinach.
Remove the skin and pit from the avocado, and cut into chunks. Add to the bowl.
Add the dressing ingredients to a food processor or high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.
Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Garnish with some more fresh parsley, freshly cracked black pepper and enjoy with a fork and also scoop a chunk using a tortilla chip.
Store dressing separately from salad if possible. Refrigerate everything in airtight containers for 1-2 days.