Lemon Blueberry Crumble Bars make the perfect easy summer treat. Filled with a sweet and juicy blueberry & lemon filling. Best of all with this simple recipe, the buttery oatmeal streusel crust doubles as the topping.
Blueberries are one of my favorite things about summer. As soon as they are in season, I can never resist buying them by the boat load.
Most of the time we just enjoy them straight from the bowl but at least once a year, I love tossing whatever summer fruit I have on hand together with a buttery streusel crust.
They are one of the easiest customizable desserts to make from scratch. The best part is that you can really use whatever berries or summer fruit you have.
It’s one of those desserts you can’t help sneaking another bite every time you walk by the kitchen 😉
They start off with a buttery crumb topping made with flour, oats, brown and white sugar, lemon zest and some cold butter. The wonderful thing about these bars is that the crust doubles as the topping.
Feel free to swap in frozen blueberries if you’d like or during the winter when fresh berries aren’t in season — simply thaw and pat dry.
These Lemon Blueberry Crumb Bars would make a special indulgent breakfast or afternoon treat warmed up with a scoop of ice cream.
The portable size also make them perfect to bring along to your next barbecue, potluck or summer party.
- 2-1/4 cups all purpose flour or white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup unsalted butter cold & cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3-1/2 cups blueberries I used fresh but you can also sub with frozen (thaw and drain first)
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup can also substitute with 1/3 - 1/2 cup coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- juice and zest from 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a 9 x 9-inch square pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the berries with maple syrup, cornstarch, and lemon juice, and toss to coat. Set aside while you prepare the dough.
- Make the dough: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, sugars, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. With a fork, pastry cutter, or using your clean hands, cut butter into flour mixture together until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press a little bit more than half of the dough into the bottom of your prepared pan, patting it down evenly.
- Evenly distribute berry mixture over the crust, smoothing it lightly with a spatula.
- Evenly sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares or enjoy straight from the pan if desired. Store bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
*I used a 9x9 pan, you can use an 8x8 pan but the bars will be thicker. If using a 9x13 pan, the bars might not be as thick as pictured so you might want to increase the amounts.
More crumb bars: