Healthy One Pan Zucchini Noodle Skillet Lasagna Zoodles – makes the perfect easy weeknight dish! Best of all, it’s lower carb & makes a delicious twist on lasagna. Gluten free – no one will miss the pasta with this dish! Plus a VIDEO!
With the cooler temps headed our way, we’ve been wanting to drown ourselves in all the comfort food a.k.a. cheesy pasta dishes like this Easy Skinny Skillet Lasagna.
But since I had a bunch of garden zucchini still waiting to be used up, I decided to swap out the pasta for ribboned zucchini noodles (zoodles) instead.
Tips for this Skillet Lasagna Zoodles
- Prep the zoodles up to 3-4 days in advance by storing them in an air-tight sealed container in the fridge
- To avoid a runny and soggy sauce, it helps to pat them down with a paper towel after you’ve spiralized them to remove some of that extra moisture that zucchini tend to have.
- You can even keep this entirely meatless and add sliced mushrooms instead.
- I made two batches, one with ground turkey and one with sauteed mushrooms and they both worked really well.
I used the same base as I did for my Easy Skinny Skillet Lasagna and just reduced the amount of water I added since the zucchini will release a lot of water on its own.
If you’re looking for a comforting dish that’s low on carbs and still full of flavor, this may be your new favorite way to enjoy lasagna. ♥
One Pan Lasagna with Ribbon Zucchini Noodles
- 1/2 - 1 lb extra-lean ground turkey omit if you want to keep this a meatless dish
- 1/2 cup mushrooms sliced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 5-6 medium zucchini peeled
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes (I recommend San Marzano or fire-roasted tomatoes)
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2-1/2 Tablespoons fresh chopped basil divided
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2/3 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup low-fat ricotta cheese for garnish optional
- sprinkle of parmesan cheese for garnish optional
- 1-1/2 - 2 cups spinach chopped
- 2 medium zucchini peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup water reserved as needed
- Spiralize zucchini using the ribbon blade or a vegetable peeler; set aside. Pat dry with a paper towel. (This step can be done up to 3 days in advance. Simply store zoodles in an airtight container with a paper towel to help absorb excess moisture.)
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add in the ground meat and cook until browned, about 3-4 minutes, making sure to crumble and break down into small pieces as it cooks; drain excess fat.
- Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds to a minute or until fragrant. Add mushrooms and optional chopped zucchini, if using and saute for 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, red pepper flakes and 1 tablespoon of basil. Bring to a boil and reduce heat allowing to simmer. Stir constantly until sauce begins to thicken (about 5 minutes).
- Add the ribboned zucchini noodles and cover with lid.
- After 2 minutes, remove the cover, swirl the zucchini around using tongs to avoid sticking to the pan.
- Continue cooking until zucchini is tender (another 2-5 minutes). If adding spinach, stir in after 3 minutes and cover.
- Remove from heat and stir in mozzarella and cottage cheese. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Top with dollops of ricotta cheese. Cover the pan and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from stove and sprinkle with chopped parsley, basil, and parmesan cheese if desired.
Add water as needed if the sauce is evaporating.
*If zucchini is letting out too much water, mix 2 teaspoons cornstarch with 2 teaspoon of cold water in a small cup. Add to the pan before adding the cottage cheese. Bring to a boil to allow sauce to thicken up. Add cottage cheese as directed above.
You Might Also Like: