Zucchini Taco Boats
You may ask, “What are zucchini taco boats?” Well, they are delicious! A great gluten-free option, zucchini taco boats are everything you could imagine. Ground turkey, taco seasoning, onion, and salsa are just some of the ingredients that come together within this recipe.
With a vegan option, this taco boat recipe will become your best friend if you are trying to eat more plant-based meals. We love this low carb keto recipe because it is filled with real ingredients, and it is just so easy to make with just a few basic steps. The savory flavors really stand out while the ground turkey brings a great amount of protein.
To Make This Stuffed Zucchini Recipe, You Will Need:
- fresh zucchini
- ground turkey (leave out if plant-based) (you can also sub with another protein of your choice: ground beef will work)
- salt & pepper
- salsa or 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes + green chili peppers
- taco seasoning (you can make your own if you have chili powder and cumin in your pantry)
- chopped cilantro, for garnishment
- avocado slices, for garnishment
- Colby Jack cheese (or vegan cheese – we like Myokos Creamery cheddar cheese) – leave out for paleo or Whole30 zucchini taco boats and sub with cashew-based queso
Vegan Taco Boats
These taco boats can certainly become vegan. If wanting to transform these taco boats into vegan taco boats, then simply omit the ground turkey and Colby Jack cheese. A great alternative to the ground turkey would be black beans, garbanzo beans, tofu, etc. These modifications will work if you are not on a Whole30 or low-carb diet.
A Great Gluten-Free Option
Gluten-free and just incredible, these zucchini boats are perfect for anyone who may have a craving for tacos, but just want to skip out on the tortillas. This gluten-free recipe is super easy to make, and your family will love this delicious alternative to traditional tacos.
How To Make Zucchini Taco Boats
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Use a spoon to scoop out centers from zucchini.
- Arrange zucchini in a casserole dish or a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, add oil, add onion & saute for 2 minutes. Add turkey and cook until brown, while breaking up into small crumbles.
- Season with salt, pepper, taco seasoning and 1/3 cup of salsa.
- Spoon mixture into zucchini boats. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 27-34 minutes or until zucchini is cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and serve with favorite toppings.
What is the best way to store this stuffed zucchini boat recipe?
Once the zucchini taco boats have cooled off, transfer them to an airtight container. Put the lid on the container and store in the refrigerator for up to three days. The leftovers from this recipe are incredible!
To reheat these taco boats, then just place them in the oven for about 15 minutes or until they become golden in color. You could also try to reheat these zucchini boats in the microwave, but we think the oven yields better results.
Great For Meal Prep
These zucchini taco boats are amazing for meal prep. On meal prep day, simply prepare a batch of this zucchini recipe to enjoy throughout the week for lunch or dinner. These zucchini boats store very well in the refrigerator, but we have not tried to freeze them.
Other Mexican Recipes You Will Love!
- Homemade Guacamole
- Healthy Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Asian Chicken Nachos
- Chicken Skillet Nachos
- Taco Bowls
- Steak Burrito Bowls
- Crockpot Carne Asada Tacos from Half Baked Harvest
These zucchini taco boats stuffed with ground turkey are so good! Made with real ingredients only, this taco recipe will become a weekly rotation for dinner. Top this stuffed zucchini recipe with fresh avocado, cilantro, or lime to really increase the flavor.
- 3 zucchinis medium-sized
- 1/3 cup onion diced
- 1/2 pound lean ground-turkey
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup salsa can sub 15-ounce canned tomatoes + green chili peppers
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup Colby Jack cheese shredded, or vegan cheese (leave out for Whole30 or paleo and sub with cashew based queso)
- cilantro chopped
Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Use a spoon to scoop out centers from zucchini.
Arrange zucchini in a casserole dish or a parchment-lined baking sheet.
In a large skillet on medium-high heat, add oil, onion & saute for 2 minutes. Add turkey and cook until brown, while breaking up into small crumbles.
Season with salt, pepper, taco seasoning and 1/3 cup of salsa.Spoon mixture into zucchini boats.
Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 27-34 minutes or until zucchini is cooked through and cheese is melted.
Remove from oven and serve with favorite toppings.
For plant-based version, then leave out the ground-turkey. Top with vegan cheese.