This Zucchini Pizza Crust is easy to make and is the perfect low carb option for satisfying that Friday night pizza craving. It’s so easy to make with 5 ingredients that are grain free, gluten free and keto friendly.
Easy Zucchini Pizza Crust Recipe
Looking for a healthy way to satisfy that Friday pizza night craving? This Zucchini Pizza Crust is a delicious alternative to takeout when you’re trying to stay on a low carb keto way of eating. Plus, it’s perfect if your July garden is exploding with zucchini and you’re looking for some healthy zucchini recipes to use them up.
Is zucchini good on pizza?
Yes, you’d be surprised but it’s actually really delicious!
Seriously, my family loves it and can’t even taste the zucchini especially with the cheese and toppings! Even my husband who was extremely skeptical at first can’t stop eating this keto pizza.
And the best part? This low carb pizza crust recipe is super easy to make with just 5 simple ingredients. Plus, this easy recipe is also pretty forgiving and versatile using ingredients you probably already have!
Ingredients you need:
This low carb zucchini crust pizza is made with FIVE main ingredients:
- Grated zucchini: Be sure to squeeze out the water from your grated zucchini after measuring. Wondering how to grate zucchini, check out the instructions here.
- Eggs: Bring your eggs to room temperature.
- Super fine almond flour: our favorite grain-free flour to use in place of all purpose flour
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Grated Parmesan
- Garlic powder
Other ingredients, seasonings and herbs you can add:
- dried basil
- onion powder
- smoked paprika
Toppings of your choice:
- marinara sauce (we love Rao’s)
- Parmesan cheese
- pepperoni, bacon, sausage
- basil, arugula, spinach, mushrooms, green peppers, mushrooms, olives, tomatoes – the options are endless!
How to make Zucchini Pizza Crust
1. PREHEAT OVEN: Preheat the oven to 375° F.
2. HEAT ZUCCHINI: Just like my cauliflower pizza crust, you’re going to bake the shredded zucchini in the oven in order to dry it out. This cuts out that extra step of having to wring and squeeze out the excess water. Simply spread out the shredded zucchini onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Allow to cool. Turn your oven temperature up to 425F. Place pizza stone in the oven now if you’re using one.
3. MAKE THE PIZZA DOUGH: Once the zucchini is cool, add the egg, cheese, almond flour and optional herbs. Mix well until a dough forms. Shape the dough into a circle and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. COOK THE PIZZA: Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
5. ADD TOPPINGS: Spread marinara sauce evenly on top of the crust. with grated mozzarella followed by desired toppings.
6. SERVE: Bake again for 5-8 minutes, or until the cheese melts. Slice and serve hot.
Is zucchini pizza healthy?
The great thing about making your own homemade zucchini crust is that it’s:
- Healthier, made with cleaner ingredients, no fillers, no cornstarch, no corn flour, and cheaper than the premade Zucchini Crusts or Cauliflower pizza crusts that you buy at the store such as Trader Joe’s, Cauliflour Kitchen and Caulipower Crust
How many carbs in zucchini pizza?
The macros for one pizza crust slice with the toppings are:
- 159 calories
- 3 grams NET carbs = 4g Total Carbs – 1g Fiber
- 10 grams protein
- 12 grams fat
Can I make a vegan pizza crust with zucchini?
I’m sure you can but I haven’t tried but you can certainly experiment by using a flax egg and vegan Parmesan cheese and adjust the ratios.
A few other delicious healthy alternatives that you can use for pizza crust are:
Important tips for making the Best Zucchini Pizza Crust:
- if you have a pizza stone, use it to bake the pizza crust otherwise, just line your baking sheet with parchment paper
- roast the zucchini in the oven first to remove excess moisture – this cuts down on the extra step and you don’t have to wring or squeeze out any liquid
- prebake the crust prior to adding the sauce and any toppings – this ensures that your crust will get crispy instead of soggy
Can you freeze Zucchini Pizza Crust?
The great thing about homemade pizza is that you can make it ahead of time and store it in the freezer until you’re ready to eat. We usually like to make 2 pizza crusts at a time and freeze one of them.
To freeze zucchini pizza, you’re going to prebake it in the oven and allow it to cool down. Then you’re going to place the pan in the freezer for 10 minutes. Once the pizza crust is slightly frozen, wrap it with plastic wrap and store in a large freezer bag or an airtight container.
When you’re craving pizza for dinner, simply remove the crust from the freezer and add your favorite toppings. You can reheat it in the air fryer at 400F for 8 minutes or in the oven for 10 minutes.
More zucchini recipes:
This Zucchini Pizza Crust is easy to make and is the perfect low carb option for satisfying that Friday night pizza craving. It's so easy to make with just 4 ingredients that are grain free, gluten free and keto friendly.
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese (NOT the soft fresh kind)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup super-fine blanched almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano , optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil , optional
- 1/3 cup grated mozzarella
- ¼ cup sugar-free marinara sauce (Rao's) or passata sauce
- 6-8 slices pepperoni
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3-4 leaves fresh basil or spinach
- 2-3 chopped olives
BROIL ZUCCHINI: Turn your oven to broil. Spread the shredded zucchini onto a parchment lined baking sheet and broil for 4-5 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Turn your oven temperature to 425F. Place pizza stone in the oven now if you're using one.
MAKE THE PIZZA DOUGH: Once the zucchini is cool, pat dry and place in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, cheese, almond flour, garlic powder and optional herbs. Mix well until a dough forms. Add more almond flour or cheese as needed to form dough.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and shape into a round pizza crust.
Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, or until golden and the crust is set. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
Spread marinara sauce evenly on top of the crust. Sprinkle with grated mozzarella followed by desired toppings.
Place the pan back in the oven and cook until the cheese melts, about 5-8 minutes. Slice and serve hot.
** Nutritional info is calculated with the cheese and toppings