This Peach Crisp is an easy summer recipe full of sweet and juicy peaches and a thick cinnamon grain-free crumble topping. This classic dessert takes less than 10 minutes of prep and it’s healthy enough for breakfast and even more perfect for dessert! It’s gluten-free, , grain-free, vegan, paleo, refined sugar-free and includes a low carb keto option.
Updated June 2020
A HEALTHY PEACH CRISP RECIPE
Looking for a summery dessert that is both healthy and easy to make? I am a big fan of fruity crisps. It’s seriously one of the easiest things to make — and probably one of the few desserts I’m willing to turn on the oven for when it’s super hot outside.
What I love about crisps is that you can use any combination of your favorite fruits. Just add a crumbly cinnamon topping, and then let it bake to crispy perfection.
This easy Peach Crisp is such a great way to use up those juicy summery peaches and easy to customize with your favorite sweetener. They are super quick and easy to make and are always a crowd pleaser! The best part about making crisps is that they are perfect for using up a batch of any fresh or frozen fruit you have in your kitchen or freezer.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PEACH CRISP AND a PEACH CRUMBLE?
Well, many people use the name interchangeably but the main difference between a peach crisp and a peach crumble is all in the topping.
So a crisp topping is typically made with a combination of oats, butter and sugar.
While a crumble topping consists of a mixture of flour, butter and sugar so it resembles more of streusel topping.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED
FOR THE FRUIT FILLING:
- fresh peaches – we love using juicy ripe summer peaches but you can sub with frozen peaches if you prefer. Be sure to thaw, drain and pat dry before using
- coconut sugar – can sub with golden monk fruit sweetener (or brown sugar if not paleo)
- arrowroot flour – you can also sub with tapioca starch, (corn starch if not paleo) or use 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum if you want a low carb or keto peach crisp
- pure vanilla extract and cinnamon – adds dimension, flavor and makes this vegan peach crisp tasty and delicious
FOR THE CRISP TOPPING:
- almond flour – be sure to use superfine blanched almond flour and not almond meal. Almond flour is the main nut flour providing most of the bulk. Measure properly using the spoon and level method.
- finely chopped pecans, sliced almonds and coconut flakes – classic fruit crisps use rolled oats in their crumble topping but since we are trying to keep this grain free, we use a combination of nuts and coconut flakes to give it that oaty texture. If you’re not grain-free, feel free to use gluten free old fashioned rolled oats instead.
- for a vegan fruit crisp use softened coconut oil (you want the texture like softened butter – use refined if you prefer it without the coconut flavor) or use ghee or butter if not vegan
- maple syrup – you can sub with honey if not vegan or use Lakanto sugar-free maple syrup for a low carb or keto crisp
- coconut sugar – can sub with brown sugar or golden monk fruit sweetener
- vanilla extract and ground cinnamon – adds dimension, flavor and makes this paleo peach crisp tasty and delicious
OPTIONAL FOR SERVING:
Dairy-free coconut ice cream, or your favorite ice cream if not vegan or paleo
HOW TO SLICE PEACHES
If you plan on making lots of peach recipes this summer and wondering how to cut perfectly sliced peaches, this tutorial also teaches you how to blanch and peel peaches perfectly in order to slice them.
You can slice peeled or unpeeled peaches. To easily peel a peach, use a paring knife to cut around the peach to peel off the skin.
- TO SLICE UNPEELED PEACHES: Grab a sharp knife and start by cutting it in half all the way around. Hold each half of the cut peach and twist the halves in opposite directions. Pull the peach halves apart and remove the pit. Cut the peach halves into slices or thick wedges, if you prefer.
- SLICING PEELED PEACHES: Use a sharp paring knife and make a cut down the peeled peach to the pit. Then cut parallel to the first cut depending on how thick you want each piece or segment. Flick the blade of your knife in the direction of the first slice, the segment will come away easily. Repeat with remaining fruit. Discard the pit.
HOW TO MAKE PEACH CRISP
- PREHEAT OVEN to 350F. Lightly coat a 9 x 9″ baking pan or a 9″ pie pan with coconut oil or avocado oil spray.
- PREP THE FILLING:
- TRANSFER TO BAKING DISH: Pour the filling into your baking dish, spreading evenly then chill in the fridge while you make the crisp topping.
- MAKE THE CRUMBLE TOPPING: Rinse and dry your bowl then combine all the ingredients for the crisp topping using a fork or clean hands until the mixture is combined and sticks together like cookie dough. Alternatively, you can add the crisp topping ingredients to a food processor and pulse a few times until crumbly.
- SPRINKLE the mixture evenly over the filling.
- BAKE in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the fruit begins to bubble and the topping is light and golden brown. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with coconut ice cream, whipped cream or yogurt.
RECIPE TIPS AND VARIATIONS
- Use fresh summer peaches for best results.
- Use any combination of fruit you have on hand such as apples, peaches, cherries or any type of berry!
- For a classic oat crisp if not paleo, grain-free or keto, substitute the pecans, almonds and coconut flakes with rolled oats
CAN YOU MAKE THIS AHEAD OF TIME
Yes. You can prepare the fruit filling and the crumble topping ahead of time and store them separately in an airtight container in the fridge. On the day you plan to serve it, simply spread the filling in to the pie pan and add the crisp topping then bake.
HOW TO STORE PEACH CRISP
To store leftovers, cover with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container with the lid in the fridge for up to 3 days.
CAN YOU FREEZE A FRUIT CRISP
I would recommend freezing the peach crisp unbaked. This will ensure that your fruit crisp won’t get soggy.
To Freeze: Prepare the crisp, but do not bake. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and foil or an air-tight lid. Freeze.
To Prepare From Frozen: Thaw in the fridge and bake as instructed.
More peach recipes you might like:
This Peach Crisp is an easy summer recipe full of juicy peaches and a thick cinnamon grain-free crumble topping. This classic dessert takes less than 10 minutes of prep and it's healthy enough for breakfast and even more perfect for dessert! It's gluten-free, vegan, paleo and includes a low carb keto option.
- 6-7 ripe peaches , peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons coconut sugar , can sub with golden monk fruit sweetener or preferred granulated sweetener for low carb
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch , you can also sub with tapioca starch, corn starch or use 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum for low carb
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups superfine blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes , chopped
- 1/3 cup pecans , finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds , roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup softened coconut oil , you want the texture like softened butter – use refined coconut oil if you want to avoid any coconut flavor. Can also use vegan butter, ghee or regular butter if not vegan
- 1/4-1/3 cup maple syrup , you can sub with honey if not vegan or use Lakanto sugar-free maple syrup for a low carb or keto crisp (add more according to sweetness preferred)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar , can with golden monk fruit sweetener or preferred brown sugar substitute for low carb
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly coat a 9 x 9″ baking pan or a 9″ pie pan with coconut oil or avocado oil spray.
If using fresh peaches: Wash, dried and cut peaches into slices.
If using frozen peaches: Thaw, drain and pat dry.
Add to a large mixing bowl then add coconut sugar, arrowroot starch, vanilla, and cinnamon. Gently toss everything together.
Pour the filling into your baking dish, spreading evenly then chill in the fridge while you make the crisp topping.
MAKE THE CRUMBLE TOPPING:
Rinse and dry your bowl then combine all the ingredients for the crisp topping using a fork or clean hands until the mixture is combined and sticks together like cookie dough.
Alternatively, you can add the crisp topping ingredients to a food processor and pulse a few times until crumbly.
Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the filling. BAKE in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the fruit begins to bubble and the topping is light and golden brown.
Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Best served warm with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream.