This Peppermint Hot Chocolate is rich, festive and a classic Christmas comfort drink made healthy! It’s easy to whip up with just 5 ingredients, and there are endless ways to decorate it for the holidays. Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, paleo with low carb and keto sweetener options.
Updated December 2021
A Cozy Peppermint Hot Chocolate Recipe
A 5-minute cup of hot cocoa has never tasted so good. This creamy Peppermint Hot Chocolate is like Christmas in a cup! It’s so cozy and satisfying, you’ll be making it all winter long. Especially once you see the healthy ingredients that go into it!
Just like our Vegan Hot Chocolate, this hot holiday drink is dairy-free, vegan and can easily be made keto-friendly. Who says you need milk to make creamy and delicious hot chocolate? It will quickly become your go-to holiday drink, regardless of your dietary needs.
You can count the ingredients for this vegan hot chocolate on one hand. It uses real chocolate and can be made with your favorite milk substitute.
- Almond Milk: Be sure to use unsweetened almond milk or another unsweetened milk substitute.
- Dark Chocolate: I use 70% dark chocolate for the perfect hot cocoa that’s rich, but not bitter.
- Maple Syrup: To make Keto/low carb hot chocolate, use Lakanto sugar-free maple syrup or yacon syrup instead.
- Peppermint Extract: Make sure you’re using a high quality extract.
- Fine Sea Salt: You only need a tiny pinch to tie all the flavors together.
How to Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate
This hot cocoa comes together in minutes on the stove. You just have to whisk it constantly and watch it come to life!
- Heat Almond Milk & Chocolate: Add the almond milk and dark chocolate to a large saucepan over medium heat, mixing constantly with a whisk until the chocolate has melted.
- Add Remaining Ingredients & Keep Whisking: Add the peppermint, salt and sweetener over medium-high heat, whisking continuously to break up any clumps and until smooth.
- Remove From Heat: When the mixture is smooth and bubbling, remove your saucepan from the heat.
- Serve & Enjoy: Pour the hot chocolate into a mug and top it with coconut whipped cream or another topping, if desired.
Tips for Success
You really can’t go wrong with this peppermint hot chocolate. Here are some simple tips to help you make it to your liking:
- Don’t Stop Whisking: You have to whisk your hot chocolate constantly throughout the cooking process, or it may develop clumps. Also, be sure to wait until the chocolate is completely melted before adding in the remaining ingredients.
- Use High Quality Peppermint Extract: Definitely break out the good stuff for this recipe – you can really taste the difference.
- Lighten it Up: This hot cocoa is rich and thick, which is just how I like it! But you can easily make it lighter by using an ounce or two less dark chocolate than the recipe calls for.
- Make it Boozy: If you want to make spiked peppermint hot chocolate, just substitute the peppermint extract for 2 or 3 tablespoons of peppermint schnapps.
Hot Chocolate Topping Ideas
The toppings really make the drink, especially when it comes to the holidays! There are so many different ways to serve this hot chocolate in style.
- Top with Coconut Whipped Cream: Simple and classic, a whipped topping never gets old.
- Add Marshmallows: You can’t have the world’s best hot chocolate without some melty marshmallows. Use your favorite brand or make your own Vegan Marshmallows from scratch!
- Add Crushed Peppermint: There’s no better holiday garnish than some crushed peppermint candies. You could even stick a whole candy cane in your hot chocolate and let it melt, which will make your hot cocoa even mintier!
- Top with Shaved Chocolate: You could always shave some white, milk or dark chocolate over your hot cocoa to top it off.
- Garnish with Mint Leaves: Adding a mint leaf or two to your hot chocolate is a super easy way to make it look festive, pretty and sophisticated.
More Drink Recipes
Check out these other homemade beverages that never fail to make my holidays a little merrier!
- Love a classic hot cocoa recipe? Our Vegan Hot Chocolate is on repeat here!
- If you like this peppermint hot chocolate, you have to make my Homemade Peppermint Mocha Latte next.
- This easy Crockpot Apple Cider is another cozy drink to keep you warm this winter. It’s so flavorful and delicious, and it only takes 5 minutes to prepare!
- My festive Homemade Gingerbread Lattes are a Christmas miracle for your taste buds. Believe it or not, they’re even better than the ones from Starbucks!
This Peppermint Hot Chocolate is rich, festive and a classic Christmas comfort drink made healthy! It's easy to whip up with just 5 ingredients, and there are endless ways to decorate it for the holidays. Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, paleo with low carb and keto sweetener options.
Add the almond milk and dark chocolate to a large saucepan over medium heat, mixing constantly with a whisk until the chocolate has melted.
Add the peppermint, salt and sweetener over medium-high heat, whisking continuously to break up any clumps and until smooth.
Once the mixture is smooth and bubbling, remove your saucepan from the heat. Taste and add more sweetener, peppermint extract, to taste.
Pour the hot chocolate into a mug and top it with coconut whipped cream, marshmallows, crushed peppermint and/or shaved chocolate, if desired