Throw together a healthy homemade breakfast in 5 minutes or less with these Super Easy Smoothies! Made with simple ingredients that your taste buds will love, there are 5 fruity variations to indulge in. Includes super foods, secret tips and all the fruit smoothie recipes are dairy free, paleo, Whole30, sugar free with low carb keto options.
Updated November 2021
The Best Breakfast Smoothie Recipes
Starting off your morning with a nutritious homemade smoothie is the ultimate guarantee for a great day. Not only does it boost your mood with its sweet and satisfying taste, but it also fuels up your body so you’re ready to take on anything. With these healthy recipes, you can be sure your breakfast smoothies aren’t tainted with refined sugars or undesirable preservatives. And you can enjoy your favorite flavors all the while!
Each smoothie variation was crafted to comply with dairy-free, vegan, gluten-free, paleo and Whole30 diets. They can also be made keto and low-carb if necessary. If you’ve ever felt like your dietary restriction has prohibited you from enjoying simple pleasures like a cold, refreshing smoothie, these drinks will prove that anything is possible with the right combination of ingredients.
Are Smoothies Healthy for Weight Loss?
Smoothies can easily play a role in your weight loss journey – so long as you’re sticking with wholesome ingredients and steering clear of unhealthy additives like processed sugar. Smoothies can be enjoyed in place of less nutritious foods that you might be craving, but it’s important to consume a healthy number of calories and maintain a well-balanced diet altogether.
5 Tasty Smoothie Variations
Every recipe in this roundup relies on a short and simple list of ingredients. There’s an irresistible flavor for every occasion! Let’s highlight each beverage one by one.
If you ever want something sweet but need some extra vegetables, a green smoothie can help you check off both boxes. This version – made with spinach, star fruit and avocado – is a wonderful choice. The avocado makes it super creamy while providing plenty of extra vitamins and minerals.
I love how you can alter the recipe to use up those ingredients lingering around in your refrigerator. It’s super convenient for freeing up fridge space without having to spend hours in the kitchen. And playing around with the flavors is so much fun!
This fruity smoothie is the famous special from the Orange Julius beverage chain. After the brand was bought by Dairy Queen, it became harder and harder to find these smoothies out on the market. Luckily, making your own at home couldn’t be more simple!
For those of you who aren’t familiar with the beverage, an Orange Julius is basically a drinkable orange creamsicle. This version is a little lighter than the store-bought one, but it certainly doesn’t fall short in the flavor department. If you need a low-carb or keto alternative, whip up this Easy Lemon Smoothie (LINK) instead. It’s a super yummy citrus version!
Blackberries and blueberries combine with fresh kale and juicy pineapple in this beautiful purple drink. The blueberries can be fresh or frozen, and you can use star fruit instead of pineapple if you’re on the keto diet. Either fruit compliments the greens and berries perfectly.
This smoothie gives you protein, antioxidants, vitamins, iron, potassium and so much more. All the sweetness from the fruit completely masks the flavor of the kale, so you can enjoy its many benefits without feeling like you’re drinking any vegetable juice. For that reason, this smoothie is a godsend for those of us with picky children. And for those of us who don’t love the taste of kale as adults!
This 5-ingredient masterpiece is full of both fresh and frozen fruit, giving it the best texture and taste you could ask for. Not only is it full of sweet strawberries, but it’s also made with fresh raspberries and either mango chunks or cantaloupe. It uses coconut cream to make it even creamier and fruitier!
Like all the other smoothies here, you can include additional ingredients if you’d like. Banana, peanut butter, cocoa powder and avocado are all awesome choices.
Made with a combination of spinach and kale, this tropical treat will leave you satisfied and energized. It uses fresh apples and pears along with sweet frozen mangoes, and there’s an easy keto alternative for each one. These flavorful fruits turn green superfoods into something even kids will pine for.
The health benefits of this smoothie are abundant. You get tons of nutrients, fiber, antioxidants and vitamins from a single glass. Any time you need a healthy breakfast in a pinch, this smoothie is sure to deliver!
Tools you’ll need
How to Make Healthy Smoothies
No matter which smoothie you’re in the mood for, the process of making them is the same across the board. Just apply the instructions below to whatever ingredients you’re working with.
- Pour Liquids into Blender: Add the liquid ingredients to a high-powered blender or a food processor.
- Add Soft Ingredients: Once the liquids have been added, toss in any leafy greens or softer fruits and veggies, along with spices, seasonings or protein powder.
- Add Hard Ingredients: Finally, add any harder or frozen ingredients such as apples, celery and ice.
- Blend: Blend on high until the mixture is completely smooth or until your desired consistency is reached.
- Adjust for Consistency: If you’d like to thin out your smoothie, add 1-2 teaspoons of water or any other liquid ingredient. Blend well and repeat if desired.
- Adjust for Sweetness: If you want to make your smoothie sweeter, blend in a small amount of your favorite sweetener, such as maple syrup, raw honey, coconut sugar, monk fruit sweetener or stevia. Taste and repeat if you’d like. Remember that liquid sweeteners will also thin out the smoothie.
Can I Make These in Advance?
I like to prep my ingredients the night before I plan to serve my smoothies. Our mornings are pretty crazy, so it helps to have everything ready to go. Simply place the prepared solid ingredients into a resealable bag and store it in the freezer. I like to do this for multiple flavors, label them, then decide which one I’d like to blend up on the spot.
Tips for Success
There are a couple rules of thumb to keep in mind whenever you’re whipping up one of these healthy smoothies. Check them out below along with some handy suggestions!
- Follow the Order of Ingredient Additions: Be sure to add the liquids to the blender first, followed by the softer ingredients and finally the harder items. This helps everything combine properly.
- Use a High-Powered Blender: A high-powered blender will also help your ingredients combine with ease. I prefer the Vitamix and Blendtec brands.
- For a Thicker Smoothie: We’ve gone over how to make your smoothie thinner, but what if you’d like to add some thickness? Just blend in any solid ingredient of your choice. As always, use a small amount at a time to avoid over-compensating.
- Make a Smoothie Bowl: I love throwing together a smoothie bowl to transform my breakfast beverage into a heartier meal. Pour it into a bowl and add your favorite fruit and granola!
How to Store Homemade Smoothies
You can store your blended smoothies in the fridge for a day or two, if desired. I recommend keeping them in Mason jars or another kind of resealable container. Shake or stir the smoothies well before serving them to re-blend everything together.
Can I Freeze These?
If you’d like to freeze a blended smoothie, I suggest pouring it into a silicone ice tray and storing it that way until it’s frozen into solid cubes. Then, transfer the cubes to a freezer bag and seal it. Thaw out your smoothie in the fridge and stir or shake it very well before serving. Frozen smoothies last for up to 3 months.
You also have the option of freezing your smoothie directly in the Mason jar. If you do this, you must leave some extra space inside the jar for expansion. Otherwise, there’s a good chance it will shatter while the smoothie freezes.
More Healthy Breakfast Ideas
Want to bless your mornings with more quick-fix breakfasts? These nutritious recipes have got you covered from all angles.
- 6 Easy Oatmeal Recipes
- Breakfast Cookies – 12 Ways
- 10 Delicious Baked Oatmeal Breakfast Cups
- Egg Muffins – 9 Ways
Throw together a healthy homemade breakfast in 5 minutes or less with these Super Easy Smoothies! Made with diet-friendly ingredients that your taste buds will adore, there are 5 fruity variations to indulge in.
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups water or coconut water
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapples OR star fruit for low carb / keto
- 1/2 cup green grapes OR 1/2 avocado for low carb / keto
- 1/2 celery rib
- 1/8 inch knob of ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water or coconut water
- 1/2 cup kale
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup frozen pineapple chunks OR star fruit for low carb / keto
- 2 cups frozen sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup frozen mango chunks OR cantaloupe for low carb / keto
- 8 fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 3/4 - 1 cup water or coconut water
- 2-1/2 cups spinach or kale , I used a mix of both
- 3/4 cup water or coconut water
- 1 pear OR chayote for low carb / keto cored and sliced (with or without skin)
- 1/2 sliced apple OR avocado for low carb / keto
- 1/4 cup frozen mango chunks OR cantaloupe for low carb / keto
Add the liquid ingredients to a high-powered blender or a food processor.
Once the liquids have been added, toss in any leafy greens or softer fruits and veggies, along with spices, seasonings or protein powder.
Finally, add any harder or frozen ingredients such as apples, celery and ice.
Blend on high until the mixture is completely smooth or until your desired consistency is reached.
If you'd like to thin out your smoothie, add 1-2 teaspoons of water or any other liquid ingredient. Blend well and repeat if desired.
If you'd like to make your smoothie sweeter, blend in a small amount of your favorite sweetener, such as maple syrup, raw honey, coconut sugar, monk fruit sweetener or stevia. Taste and repeat if you'd like. Remember that liquid sweeteners will also thin out the smoothie.