Discover the perfect blend of homemade strawberry jam, creamy coconut cream, and cashew butter in our irresistible Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream recipe. Indulge in the delightful flavors of this frozen treat that captures the essence of a classic dessert.
Irresistible Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream
Are you ready to experience a frozen treat that combines the classic flavors of strawberry shortcake in a creamy and delightful ice cream? Look no further than this heavenly Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream recipe!
This creamy and refreshing treat combines homemade strawberry jam, luscious coconut cream, and a touch of cashew butter for a mouthwatering and healthy dessert that will satisfy your sweet tooth. Not only will it satisfy all your ice cream and cake cravings, it’s also completely gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan friendly. Get ready to experience the perfect dessert for those warm summer days!
- Coconut Cream: Creamy and rich, coconut cream provides the luscious base for this ice cream. Look for canned full-fat coconut milk and refrigerate it prior to use. The chilled coconut cream or thick part of the coconut milk will give the ice cream its desired texture.
- Creamy Cashew Butter: The addition of cashew butter adds a velvety smoothness and enhances the creaminess of the ice cream. You can substitute it with any other nut butter of your choice if desired.
- Maple Syrup: This natural liquid sweetener adds a hint of sweetness to the ice cream. However, you can use any other liquid sweetener that suits your preference.
- Pure Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract provides a warm and aromatic essence, rounding out the flavors of the ice cream.
- Strawberry Jam: Homemade strawberry jam works best by adding the authentic flavor of fresh strawberries to the ice cream. If you don’t have homemade jam, feel free to use your favorite store-bought strawberry jam or preserves instead. If you don’t have homemade jam, feel free to use your favorite store-bought strawberry jam or strawberry preserves instead.
- Fresh Strawberries: Cut into chunks or slices.
- Crushed Gluten-Free Vanilla Sandwich Cookies or Crumbled Vanilla Cake: The crushed cookies add a delightful crunch and an extra layer of flavor reminiscent of the classic shortcake. Choose gluten-free vanilla sandwich cookies such as Simple Mills, Hu’s Kitchen, Lesser Evil or High Key Cookies, or use any other shortbread cookies of your choice to accommodate dietary needs. If you prefer to add cake chunks, feel free to use leftover vanilla cake, angel food cake or any cake of your choice.
Instructions: How to make Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream
- Make the Ice Cream: Place the coconut cream, almond milk, cashew butter, sweetener, and vanilla extract into a high-speed blender or Vitamix. Blend on high until smooth and well combined.
- Ice Cream Maker Instructions: If you have an ice cream maker, ensure that the bowl is chilled beforehand. While the ice cream maker is running, pour the blended mixture directly from the blender into the ice cream maker. Churn for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the mixture reaches a firm consistency or the ice cream maker stops rotating.
- Without an Ice Cream Maker: If you don’t have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into large freezer bags or ice cube trays. Place them in the freezer for at least 3 hours or until frozen. Once frozen, blend the frozen packets or ice cubes in a food processor or high-speed blender until smooth.
- Transfer to Ice Cream Container: Spoon half of the ice cream mixture into a 9 x 5 loaf pan or 2-quart ice cream container. Pour half of the strawberry jam on top and gently swirl with a knife to form ribbons. Add a few strawberry chunks. Sprinkle in half of the crushed up cookies. Pour in remaining half of the ice cream then top with more strawberry jam and chopped strawberries. Swirl again with the knife then top with more cookies and remaining strawberry chunks / slices. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove from Freezer to Soften: When ready to serve, remove the ice cream from the freezer and let it stand at room temperature for at least 20 minutes (or more) until it reaches the desired consistency.
Tips for Success:
- For a chunkier strawberry swirl, blend the strawberry jam for a few seconds less to retain some chunks.
- If you prefer a lighter texture, whip heavy cream in a separate bowl to stiff peaks, then fold it into the beaten cream cheese mixture. This method adds a creamy fluffiness to the ice cream.
- Get creative with your mix-ins! Substitute the granola clusters with your favorite vanilla, graham cracker, or cinnamon cookies. You can even use baked pie crust or a cooked crumble topping for added indulgence.
Storage and Freezer Instructions:
Although it’s hard to resist devouring this Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream in one sitting, if you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the freezer. The ice cream can be enjoyed for up to one week, maintaining its creamy consistency and delicious flavors.
This Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream is a delightful treat on its own, but you can take it to the next level by serving it in a crispy waffle cone or alongside a freshly baked strawberry shortcake. Drizzle it with a homemade strawberry sauce or top it with a dollop of whipped cream for an extra touch of decadence.
For a fun and nostalgic treat, assemble the ice cream into bars like these popular Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bars.
Variations and Substitutions:
Feel free to experiment and customize this recipe to your liking:
- Fruit: If you prefer a different fruit flavor, substitute the strawberry jam with your favorite fruit preserves or jams such as raspberry, blueberry, or peach.
- Nut Butter: Swap the cashew butter with another nut or seed butter of your choice.
- Sweetener: Adjust the sweetness level by using your preferred liquid sweetener. Honey, agave syrup, or date syrup can be excellent substitutes for maple syrup.
- Cookies: If you have dietary restrictions or preferences, choose gluten-free or vegan cookies that align with your needs.
Now that you have the recipe and tips in hand, it’s time to indulge in the decadence of Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream. Whether you enjoy it on a warm summer day or as a special dessert for any occasion, this frozen treat will bring joy to your taste buds. So grab a scoop, savor each bite, and let the sweet and fruity flavors transport you to dessert bliss!
More Ice Cream Flavors You Will Love
This dairy-free strawberry cheesecake ice cream is creamy, delicious and made with strawberries, coconut cream and crunchy paleo granola clusters. It's easy to make and ready in no time with no ice cream maker required, making it the perfect easy sweet treat for summer! Paleo, vegan and includes low carb keto sweetener options.
- 1.5 cups coconut cream , we like to buy the one from Trader Joe's or you can spoon out the thick part chilled full-fat coconut milk
- 2 14-ounce cans full-fat coconut milk , chilled
- 1/4 cup creamy cashew butter , can sub with any other nut butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup OR sub with any liquid sweetener of choice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam , you can use homemade jam or your favorite brand of strawberry jam or preserves
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries , washed, hulled and chopped or sliced
- 1/2 cup crushed gluten-free vanilla or shortbread cookies of choice , such as Simple Mills, Hu's Kitchen, Lesser Evil or High Key. If you prefer to add cake crumbles, feel free to use leftover vanilla cake, angel food cake or any cake of your choice.
MAKE THE ICE CREAM: Place the coconut cream, almond milk, nut butter, sweetener and vanilla into a Vitamix or a high-speed blender. Blend on high for 30 seconds, or until smooth and the mixture is combined.
ICE CREAM MAKER INSTRUCTIONS: If you have an ice cream maker, have it ready and the bowl chilled prior to starting. Pour the blended mixture directly from your blender into the ice cream maker while it is moving. Churn for 20-25 minutes until it becomes a firm ball or the ice cream maker stops rotating.
WITHOUT AN ICE CREAM MAKER: If you don't have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into large freezer bags or ice cube trays for at least 3 hours, or until frozen. If you don't have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into large freezer bags or ice cube trays for 3 hours, or until frozen. Blend frozen packets or ice cubes in a food processor (recommended) or a high-speed blender until smooth.
TRANSFER TO ICE CREAM CONTAINER: Spoon half of the ice cream mixture into a 9 x 5 loaf pan or 2-quart ice cream container. Pour half of the strawberry jam on top and gently swirl with a knife to form ribbons. Add a few strawberry chunks.
Sprinkle in half of the crushed up cookies. Pour in remaining half of the ice cream then top with more strawberry jam and chopped strawberries. Swirl again with the knife then top with more cookies and remaining strawberry chunks / slices. Cover and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
REMOVE FROM FREEZER TO SOFTEN:
When ready to serve, remove from freezer and allow to stand at room temperature for at least 20 minutes (or more) until desired consistency.
*If you prefer your strawberry swirl to have some chunks, blend for a few seconds less.
Disclaimer: This updated post was generated on July 18, 2023 by ChatGPT, an AI language model, and all info should be reviewed and validated by a human for accuracy and relevancy before implementation.