This creamy vegan Tomato Soup is easy to make with cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and dairy-free milk. There’s nothing like a comforting bowl of soup to warm you up on a cold day. It’s a healthy and delicious option that the whole family will love! Vegan, paleo, low carb and Whole30 compliant.
Easy Homemade Tomato Soup
It’s soup season and everyone needs to have a simple tomato soup recipe on hand. This Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup is easy to make and a family favorite all year long. It’s perfect during to make in the summer with fresh garden tomatoes or easily in the fall and winter with your favorite tomatoes.
This easy vegan soup is full of tomato flavor and seasoned to your liking with salt and pepper. It all comes together in less than 45 minutes!
While this soup is nice and creamy, it doesn’t use any heavy cream. It’s made with vegetable stock to keep it vegan and basil to give it that classic tomato soup flavor. You won’t find a healthier tomato soup recipe – or one that tastes this good!
Why You’ll Love This Vegan Soup Recipe
This simple homemade soup is so comforting and better than most tomato soups you can order at a restaurant. And you don’t need any fancy ingredients to make it come to life! The tomatoes are roasted in the oven with garlic and simmered on the stove with the vegetable stock.
This soup is just as easy to make as slow cooker soup, but it comes together way faster. It tastes amazing on its own or with a crispy grilled cheese sandwich for dipping.
Plus, it’s naturally vegan, paleo, gluten-free, low carb, keto and Whole30 compliant.
Is Tomato Soup Healthy?
This dish is packed with vitamins and nutrients. It’s low in carbs and made with almond milk to keep it dairy-free and vegan. This soup is also Paleo and Keto-friendly!
Cashew cream helps this cozy soup get nice and creamy without adding in a ton of fats. Cashews are full of protein and fiber, and they contain plenty of health-boosting minerals. Overall, this soup is healthy and accomodating to all sorts of dietary restrictions.
There’s probably no need to stop at the store before you make this soup. It uses simple ingredients that are common pantry staples.
- Tomatoes: We love using fresh garden roma tomatoes, cherry or plum tomatoes in the summer but you can also use canned tomatoes in the winter. For canned, we love using Fire-Roasted San Marzano Whole Tomatoes.
- Onions and Garlic Cloves: adds flavor and makes this soup delicious
- Vegetable Stock or vegetable broth
- Fresh Basil + Oregano + Ground Coriander: Fresh basil and oregano will really step up the flavor of your soup! If you don’t have fresh you can use dried.
- Cashews – soaked in boiling water for 7 minutes. Replaces the heavy cream in this dairy-free vegan tomato soup.
- Plant-based milk: Be sure to use unsweetened almond milk for this recipe.
- Salt and Pepper: season to taste.
- Coconut cream: for drizzling or reserve some cashew cream.
How to Make Tomato Soup
This soup is refreshingly easy to make. All you have to do is roast your tomatoes, make your cashew cream and simmer your ingredients over low heat.
- Heat Oven: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Roast Tomatoes: Grease or line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the halved tomatoes, onion and garlic on and drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste. Roast in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Skip this part if using canned tomatoes.
- Make Cashew Cream: Make the cashew cream by blending cashews and plant milk in a high speed blender for about 30 seconds until smooth.
- Add Tomatoes to Saucepan: Once the tomatoes are cooked (the skins should be burst and starting to blister), remove from the oven and add to a large pot including all the juices.
- Stir in Vegetable Stock & Basil: Add vegetable stock and turn heat to medium and bring to a gentle boil. Add basil and oregano. Remove from heat and use a hand held immersion blender (or alternatively, allow to cool for 20 minutes and pour into a high-speed blender) and blend until smooth.
- Add Cashew Cream & Season: Stir in the blended cashew cream. Taste and season with additional salt, pepper and other seasonings.Drizzle with coconut cream or reserved cashew cream and serve.
- Serve with dairy-free Grilled Cheese: Everyone loves the classic combination of a grilled cheese and tomato basil soup!
- Add Crackers: Try topping your soup with oyster crackers or saltines.
- Spice things up: add some red pepper chili flakes for some heat
- Made it a complete meal and serve with Salad: To keep things fresh and healthy, serve your soup with a simple homemade salad like my Creamy Broccoli Salad Recipe.
- Top with Vegan or regular Cheese: Sprinkle some shredded dairy-free cheese on top of your soup for added flavor and a good-looking garnish!
How to Store and Reheat
This Whole30 soup should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last for up to 4 days.
To reheat your soup, set it over medium-low heat. Be sure you don’t let the soup come to a boil – remove it from the heat once it’s warm. You can also pop your soup in the microwave, covered, and heat it at 15-second intervals until warm.
Can You Freeze Tomato Soup?
This healthy tomato soup is also freezer-friendly! Just store it in a well-covered container and let it thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating. Frozen tomato soup will last for up to 3 months!
Can I make this easy tomato soup in the slow cooker
- Yes, absolutely. To make slow cooker tomato soup, roast the tomatoes and garlic. Then transfer to a large 5-6-quart slow cooker. Add the vegetable broth or stock and allow cook on LOW for 4 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the cashew cream.
- Add the basil and use your immersion blender and blend until smooth. Stir in cashew cream.
How to make creamy tomato soup in the Instant Pot
- To make Instant Pot Tomato Soup, roast the tomatoes and garlic. Then transfer to the inner pot of the pressure cooker. Add the vegetable broth or stock.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, turn vent to SEALING position, and hit MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK / HIGH for 5 minutes. The Instant Pot will take a few minutes to reach pressure. Allow a 5-minute natural release, then do a gradual quick release to release remaining pressure. When pin drops, open lid, and stir.
- Meanwhile, make the cashew cream.
- Add the basil and oregano and use immersion blender to blend soup until slightly thick and creamy. Stir in the cashew cream and serve with basil and and some coconut cream if desired.
More vegan soups you will love:
More tomato recipes you will love:
This creamy Tomato Soup is easy to make with cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and dairy-free milk. There's nothing like a comforting bowl of soup to warm you up on a cold day. It's a healthy and delicious option that the whole family will love! Vegan, paleo, low carb and Whole30 compliant.
- 1.5 lbs roma, plum or cherry tomatoes , cut into halves (for the Roma and plum). May also sub with one (24oz) can of Fire-Roasted San Marzano Whole Tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion , cut into quarters
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 cup vegetable stock / broth
- 1/2 cup fresh basil OR sub with 2 Tablespoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander , optional
- 1/2 cup cashews , soaked in boiling water for 7 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk OR any plant-based milk
- salt and freshly cracked pepper
- fresh basil or parsley , for garnish
- coconut cream or reserved cashew cream , for garnish
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Grease or line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the halved tomatoes (or whole cherry tomatoes), onion and garlic on and drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste. Roast in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Skip this part if using canned tomatoes.
Make the cashew cream by blending cashews and plant milk in a high speed blender for about 30 seconds until smooth.
Once the tomatoes are cooked (the skins should be burst and starting to blister), remove from the oven and add to a large pot, making sure to include all the juices.
Add vegetable stock and turn heat to medium and bring to a gentle boil. Add basil and oregano Remove from heat and use a hand held immersion blender (or allow to cool and pour into a high-speed blender) and blend until smooth.
Stir in the blended cashew cream. Taste and season with additional salt, pepper and other seasonings.
Drizzle with coconut cream or reserved cashew cream and serve!