This Asian Cabbage Slaw makes the perfect light and refreshing salad for summer potlucks, barbecues and parties. It’s so easy to make with shredded cabbage mixed with rice vinegar, lime juice and herbs. You can make this a complete meal by tossing in any protein of your choice.
Asian Cabbage Slaw used to show up at our house almost weekly. There are tons of names for this popular potluck favorite. Chinese Ramen Noodle Salad, Asian Noodle Salad…Asian Ramen Noodle Salad.
No matter what you call it, it’s seriously delicious. It has the perfect balance of salty, sour, sweet and spicy.
My mom used to make this often when we were younger. This simple side dish was one of our favorites and goes perfect with just about any dish. The best part is, it comes together super quick and you can easily customize it with anything you like or have on hand.
Recipe for Asian Cabbage Slaw
The essential ingredients are shredded crispy cabbage, carrots, cucumbers and a sweet mango.
Throw in some shelled edamame, ramen noodles and sliced almonds for that nice crunch.
Mix everything together with the refreshing and flavorful Asian/citrus dressing and loaded with fresh herbs. It’s a great dish for using up some leftover protein – we had turkey the night before so that’s what I used but feel free to use what you like or have on hand.
See? Super easy to throw together. Plus, you don’t have to worry about keeping it refrigerated. It’s best served cold but also tastes great at room temperature.
Shredded cabbage salads are awesome because they hold up well after being tossed with dressing.
How awesome would this be as a packed lunch for school or work? Or if you make a large batch over the weekend, you’ll have a prepared salad ready to grab for the next few days!
- 1/2 head of cabbage about 1/2 pound, shredded finely or a bag of coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup red cabbage finely shredded
- 1 large carrot peeled and finely shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 mango sliced thinly
- 1 cucumber peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 shallot or small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup toasted nuts (almonds or peanuts) thinly sliced or chopped
- 1/2 package of crunchy ramen noodles broken into smaller pieces (seasoning packet discarded)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds optional for topping
- 3/4 pound leftover cooked turkey, shredded
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce tamari or fish sauce
- juice of 1/2 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- **1 Thai chili seeded and finely chopped or 1 Tablespoon of garlic chili sauce (sambal oelek) - optional and can be omitted if serving to those that are sensitive to spicy foods
- Whisk all the ingredients for the dressing together into a medium bowl.
- Combine all the chopped vegetables together in a large bowl or container.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix well to cover. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days for the flavors to meld together.[
- Add turkey, chopped nuts, and ramen noodles tossing well to combine. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Top with some toasted sesame seeds.