This Baked Feta Pasta is a gluten-free and vegan twist on the popular baked feta dish from Finland. It’s the perfect easy weeknight dinner made 3 different ways with cherry tomatoes, dairy-free feta, avocado oil, dried herbs and cooked grain-free pasta, cauliflower gnocchi and hearts of palm pasta for a low carb & keto option.
Viral Baked Feta Pasta
If you’ve been on social media lately, chances are you’ve heard of or seen a video of whipped coffee. Just like the Tortilla Wrap earlier and the Dalgona Coffee last year, Baked Feta Pasta is the latest trend to go viral all over the internet and you can find tons of videos and pictures on TikTok, Twitter and on your Instagram feed.
Origin / What is Baked Feta Pasta
I was doing some reading to try to provide the proper credit for this dish and it apparently originates in Finland. Jenni Häyrinen created the #Uunifetapasta in 2019 but I it was also blogged about by another Finnish blogger named Tiiu who posted about it in 2018 on her blog lainahoyhenissa back in February of 2018!
This popular Tik Tok pasta recipe got so viral that feta cheese sold out all across Finland. Grilled Cheese Social shared her experience making this recipe in 2019.
- Baked Feta Pasta is a simple dinner that is essentially made by adding cherry tomatoes to a baking dish and drizzling with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- You add a block of feta into the center, add oregano and bake until the tomatoes are bursting.
- Then you break up the tomatoes and feta and mix until creamy.
- Finally, add cooked pasta into the dish and stir to coat. Garnish with fresh chopped garlic and basil
After watching lots of different versions, I decided to create my own dairy-free and grain-free version with low carb keto and paleo options of this Tik Tok famous recipe.
Ingredients you need for this Vegan Baked Feta Pasta
- Whole Cherry Tomatoes
- Olive Oil – I used Avocado Oil since that’s what I typically keep on hand
- Salt + Black Pepper
- Dried Herbs: the original recipe uses oregano
- Feta – I used 1 block of Violife’s Feta Style – feel free to use your favorite dairy-free feta / vegan feta brand of choice.
- Garlic – minced
- Cooked Pasta – to keep this recipe gluten-free and grain-free, I used Jovial Grain-Free Penne Pasta, Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Gnocchi and for a Keto Baked Feta Pasta I used Hearts of Palm / Palmini Noodles. A few other gluten-free pasta options you can use are Jovial Grain-Free Cassava Spaghetti Pasta , Cappello’s Grain Free Spaghetti Almond Flour Pasta or vegetable noodles work, too, like cooked spaghetti squash noodles or zucchini noodles
- Fresh Basil – chopped finely
- Lemon zest + lemon juice
- Dried herbs of choice: rosemary or thyme would be great
- Red pepper chili flakes
How to make Baked Feta Pasta
This TikTok Pasta requires just a few simple steps and could not be more simple to make. Be sure to read the step-by-step instructions and watch the video below on how to make it.
- PREPARE OVEN: Preheat oven 400F.
- ADD TOMATOES AND OIL: Add cherry tomatoes to a 9×13 baking dish or casserole dish. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- PLACE FETA IN THE CENTER: Make a well in the center and add the block of feta. Season with oregano, salt and pepper.
- ROAST THE TOMATOES AND FETA: Bake for 30-35 minutes or until tomatoes are juicy and most of them have bursted or read to burst.
- MAKE THE PASTA: Meanwhile, prepare the pasta according to package directions and set aside. Use any gluten-free pasta or grain-free pasta. We have even made this using our Air fryer Cauliflower Gnocchi, and Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash.
- GARNISH WITH AROMATICS AND HERBS: Remove the baking dish from the oven and add garlic and half of the basil then stir with spoon until the tomatoes and feta are nice and creamy.
- ADD COOKED PASTA: Stir in the cooked pasta and toss to coat again. Add fresh basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Which feta to use
If not vegan, you can use regular feta, sheep’s milk feta, goat’s milk feta or vegan feta which is what I used.
Best Pasta to use
We used grain-free gluten-free penne pasta, hearts of palm noodles and cauliflower gnocchi but if you are not gluten-free or dairy-free, you can use any pasta noodles of your choice. Macaroni elbows, farfalle (bow-tie pasta), linguine or fusilli pasta would also work great.
This pasta will last in the refrigerator for up to four days, and it is perfect for meal prep.
Just divide the pasta into reusable airtight containers, and lunch for the week is set. This is my favorite lunch container.
More vegan pasta recipes
This Baked Feta Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes is a gluten-free and vegan twist on the popular dish from Finland. It's the perfect easy weeknight dinner made 3 different ways with cherry tomatoes, dairy-free feta, avocado oil, dried herbs and cooked grain-free pasta, cauliflower gnocchi and hearts of palm pasta.
- 1 16-ounce package of cherry tomatoes (about 4 cups)
- 2-3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil OR avocado oil
- fine sea salt + fresly cracked black pepper , to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- 1 7-ounce block Violife Vegan Feta Cheese , or use any feta of your choice
- 2 cups cooked gluten-free pasta of choice (about 8-ounces) , I like Jovial Grain-Free Penne Pasta, Jovial Grain-Free Cassava Spaghetti Pasta , Cappello's Grain Free Spaghetti Almond Flour Pasta or Palmini Noodles made from Hearts of Palm Pasta. Trader Joe's Cauliflower Gnocchi OR Vegetable noodles work, too, like cooked spaghetti squash noodles or zucchini noodles
- 2-3 garlic cloves , minced + divided
- handful fresh basil , chopped + more for serving
- handful of baby spinach
- dried herbs
- lemon zest or lemon juice
- red pepper chili flakes
Preheat oven 400F. Add cherry tomatoes to a 2.5 quart baking dish or casserole dish (mine is 10.75 x 7.5). Add half of the garlic, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
**If using Violife Feta, place the baking pan with just the tomatoes in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. If using regular / dairy feta, skip this step.
After 30 minutes, use oven mitts to carefully remove the baking pan from the oven. Make a well in the center and add the block of feta. Season with oregano, salt and pepper.
Bake again for 15 minutes or until tomatoes are juicy and most of them have bursted or read to burst. Broil for the last 1-2 minutes for golden brown color, if desired.
Make a well in the center and add the block of feta. Season with more salt and pepper and dried oregano and bake for 30-35 minutes or until tomatoes are juicy and most of them have bursted or read to burst. Broil for the last 1-2 minutes for golden brown color, if desired.
Meanwhile, prepare the pasta according to package directions and set aside.
Remove the baking dish from the oven and add half of the basil then stir with spoon until the tomatoes and feta are nice and creamy.
Stir in the cooked pasta, baby spinach add the rest of the garlic and toss to coat again.
Top with remaining fresh basil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm and enjoy.
This recipe is adapted from Grilled Cheese Social Baked Feta Pasta to be grain-free and dairy-free.