Dalgona Coffee is a popular Korean coffee known as Whipped coffee made with just 3 ingredients. This delicious beverage has taken over the coffee world through a viral TikTok video that shows how easy it is to make using Instant coffee, sugar (sweetener) and boiling water. Our creamy coffee recipe is vegan, paleo with keto sweetener options.
Viral TikTok Coffee
If you’ve been staying home like most of us around the world, chances are you’ve heard of or seen a video of whipped coffee. Just like chaffles last year, Dalgona coffee is the latest trend to go viral on the internet and you can find tons of videos and pictures on TikTok, Twitter and on your Instagram feed.
After watching the TikTok Viral Coffee video on ImHannahCho’s page, I decided to whip up my own dairy-free and refined sugar-free version. If you can’t have or you’re not a fan of coffee, we also made a Dalgona Strawberry Milk recipe and a Dalgona Matcha that you need to make!
We figured since most of us are stuck at home and unable to go to our favorite local coffee shop, why not give this Viral Dalgona Whipped Coffee recipe a try with our own spin. The best part about making whipped coffee at home is that you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry or fridge without having to go to the store.
What is Dalgona Coffee
Whipped Coffee is a popular Korean beverage, also known as whipped coffee. It’s super thick, creamy and frothy and made with just 3 easy to find pantry ingredients.
The original TikTok coffee recipe uses instant coffee, sugar and boiling water.
You whip the mixture up until it turns into a fluffy cream, where you then add over some milk and ice.
Ingredients you need to make Paleo Whipped Coffee:
All you need are 3 main ingredients to make fluffy whipped coffee. The great thing about this recipe is that it’s so easy to customize no matter what diet you are following.
We tested this easy coffee recipe out a ton of different ways using various sweeteners, milks and coffees and they all turned out delicious.
How to make Dalgona Coffee:
- Place the coffee and sweetener in a bowl, jar or a tall glass. On the left, we used maple sugar and on the right we used monk fruit sweetener.
- Add boiling water and use a hand mixer or a handheld frother to whip until thick and frothy (about 2-5 minutes).
- You can also use a whisk but this will take much longer (at least 15 minutes).
TO SERVE COLD:
- Add ice cubes to a large glass and pour milk over the ice. Add a few tablespoons of whipped coffee and enjoy with a spoon or a straw.
TO SERVE HOT:
- Pour heated milk into a large glass and add the whipped coffee. Stir until desired consistency.
Tips for making the best whipped coffee
Do I have to use Instant Coffee
Yes. We tried this with regular ground coffee and unfortunately it did not work.
What brand of coffee do you recommend
Any Instant Coffee will work.
Do I have to use a hand mixer
No. You can use a handheld frother, stand mixer (if you’re making a larger batch) or even a regular whisk (be prepared for some arm muscle and patience. I tried using a regular whisk and it took more than 10 minutes to get creamy and thick so I recommend using a handheld frother or hand mixer if you plan on making this coffee a ton while staying indoors.
What sugar can I use
We tested five different sugars and sweeteners.
The original whipped coffee recipe uses granulated sugar or brown sugar. Since we wanted to make ours paleo with keto and low carb options, we also tried:
- maple sugar OR coconut sugar for a paleo whipped coffee
- granulated monk fruit sweetener, golden monk fruit sweetener and powdered Stevia to make a Keto Dalgona Coffee version
What kind of milk can I serve this with
The original Dalgona coffee recipe from South Korea uses regular cow’s / dairy milk. For a vegan whipped coffee, we used:
- unsweetened almond milk (our favorite is Malk Organics or Elmhurst)
- any other plant milk: oat milk or unsweetened cashew milk would work as well
Other drink and coffee recipes you might like:
Watch the video to see how easy whipped coffee is to make:
Dalgona Coffee is a popular Korean coffee known as whipped coffee made with just 3 ingredients. This delicious beverage has taken over the coffee world and is easy to make using Instant coffee, sugar (sweetener) and boiling water. Our creamy coffee recipe is vegan, paleo with keto sweetener options.
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee , can also use instant espresso (must be instant)
- 1-2 tablespoons granulated paleo sweetener such as maple sugar OR coconut sugar. You can also use granulated monk fruit sweetener, powdered stevia or granulated sugar instead. (read my blog post for tips)
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 3/4 - 1 cup unsweetened almond milk , you can also use any milk you like
- ice cubes
Place the coffee and sweetener in a deep bowl, jar or tall glass. Add boiling water and use a hand mixer or a handheld frother to whip until thick, creamy and frothy (about 2-5 minutes). (**NOTE You may also try using a regular hand whisk but this will take MUCH longer - at least 20 minutes)
Add ice cubes to a large glass and pour milk over the ice. Add a few tablespoons of whipped coffee and enjoy with a spoon or a straw.
Pour heated milk into a large glass and add the whipped coffee. Stir until desired consistency.
**Nutritional facts are based on using maple sugar and unsweetened almond milk. If using regular sugar or dairy milk, the nutritional value will be much higher.