This Cauliflower Casserole is the perfect easy low carb side dish for busy weeknights, Thanksgiving or when you’re craving comfort food. It’s a healthier and keto friendly alternative with all the classic flavors of a loaded baked potato.
PIN HERE for later and follow my boards for more recipes
Updated October 2019
Comfort food season calls for baked casseroles like Low Carb Sweet Potato Casserole, Broccoli Cheese Casserole, Green Bean Casserole and this creamy cauliflower casserole.
This loaded cauliflower casserole is not only super simple to make but it’s perfect if you’re following a gluten free, low carb or ketogenic diet.
If you love the taste of loaded potatoes and creamy cauliflower au gratin, this healthy cheesy cauliflower casserole bake will totally satisfy those cravings without all the carbs! It’s easy to prepare and perfect if you’re looking to add more low carb or ketogenic Thanksgiving side dishes to your holiday table.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED IN A KETO CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE:
- roasted cauliflower florets
- chopped celery
- salt & pepper
- garlic & onion powder
- sour cream
- cream cheese
- sharp cheddar
- Monterrey Jack cheese
- crumbled Parmesan cheese crisps (I used Whisps) or pork rinds (optional for an added crunch)
- crispy bacon
- green onions
HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE:
- CHOP AND ROAST THE VEGGIES: Start off by chopping your cauliflower and celery into small florets.
- Spread onto a large 9 x 13 casserole pan and roast in the oven at 400 F for about 20-25 minutes, or until tender. (Alternatively – you can cook the cauliflower by steaming it in the microwave or in a pot of boiling water).
- MAKE THE SAUCE: Next, you’re going to make the deliciously creamy cheese sauce by beating the softened cream cheese and sour cream together in a large bowl. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Fold in half of the Monterrey Jack cheese and bacon (if using) then add the roasted cauliflower and celery.
- TRANSFER TO CASSEROLE DISH: Spread the mixture back into the casserole pan and sprinkle additional cheese, bacon and crumbled cheese crisps (if using).
- BAKE: Place the pan back in the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- SERVE: Serve hot topped with green onions and parsley, for garnish.
CAN I MAKE THIS ROASTED CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE VEGETARIAN?
Yes, absolutely! If you’re looking for a vegetarian side dish, simply leave out the bacon.
CAN I MAKE THIS TWICE-BAKED CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE IN ADVANCE?
Absolutely! This low carb cauliflower casserole makes a great freezer-friendly dish. Simply cover the casserole pan with a lid and store in the freezer for up to two months.
If you prefer to just make a few components ahead of time for Thanksgiving or during the Christmas holidays, you can make the cream sauce in advance and store it in a separate air-tight container. You can also roast the cauliflower a day or two in advance. Then when you’re ready to bake, combine the cream sauce with the cauliflower and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
HOW MANY CARBS IN A CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE?
The nutritional info for one serving:
- 173 calories
- 4g NET carbs = 6g Total carbs – 2g Fiber
- 9g protein
- 13g Fat
More low carb recipes:
Lemon Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
Low Carb Cauliflower Casserole is the perfect easy low carb side dish for busy weeknights, Thanksgiving or when you're craving comfort food. It's a healthier and keto friendly alternative with all the classic flavors of a loaded baked potato.
- 2 medium heads cauliflower , chopped into small florets (about 3-4 cups)
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened at room temperature
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt , or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper , or to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese , shredded and divided
- 1/3 cup cooked and crumbled bacon , (leave out for vegetarian)
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1/2 cup crumbled Parmesan cheese crisps , optional for topping (I used Whisps) or can also use pork rinds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh green onions , for topping
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parshley , for topping
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13 casserole pan and set aside.
- Spread cauliflower and chopped celery in a single layer onto a large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 20-25 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and sour cream. Beat until smooth. Season with salt, pepper and add garlic powder and onion powder. Fold in half of the Monterey Jack cheese and half of the bacon bits, if using.
- Once the cauliflower is tender, stir into the cheese bowl until combined.
Transfer the cauliflower to prepared casserole pan and spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle with remaining Monterey Jack cheese, cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon. Top with crumbled cheese crisps (or crumbled pork rinds), if using.
- Bake in the oven for another 10-15 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Top with green onions, parsley and serve hot.
So delicious! The sauce didn’t look like it was going to cover the veggies but it ended up being PERFECT! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. Even my super picky husband loved it!!!
Mmmm, this was so good! My kids finished their whole serving, thank you!
Had friends over for dinner and made this for myself so I wouldn’t eat the mac and cheese, and this ended up being the hit of the night, everyone loved it! thanks for the recipe!
my family loved this! we added some shaved brussels & more cheese and it was gobbled up in seconds. Thank you for another winning recipe!
oh this was fabulous! we made this to go to a party and it was a hit even with non keto peeps! thank you!