Low Carb Green Bean Casserole – made entirely from scratch using fresh green beans and a crunchy Parmesan cheese topping perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter holiday dinners. Best of all, full of delicious flavors using gluten free, keto friendly ingredients.
LOW CARB THANKSGIVING SIDE DISHES
Green Bean Casserole is a classic holiday side dish just like Sweet Potato Casserole and Broccoli Cheese Casserol that are popular around Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. It was developed by Campbell’s Test Kitchen manager, Dorcas Reilly around 1955 as an easy go to side dish.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED TO MAKE LOW CARB GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE?
For this healthy green bean casserole, you’ll need:
- fresh green beans, trimmed
- ghee (can also try subbing with butter or vegan butter)
- thinly sliced onions
- sliced cremini or portobello mushrooms
- salt & pepper
- almond flour
- almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- coconut cream (or heavy cream)
- mozzarella cheese (can try subbing with vegan cheese)
- Parmesan crisps (can also use pork rinds if you want a dairy free green bean casserole)
- crispy bacon
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE:
- BLANCHE GREEN BEANS: To make this gluten free green bean casserole, you’re going to start by blanching the green beans in a large pot for about 8 minutes, or until crisp tender. Drain and set aside.
- SAUTE VEGETABLES: Next, you’re going to saute the onions (or butter) for about 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue cooking until the mushrooms are brown. Stir in salt and pepper followed by the almond flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes then stir in the chicken broth until combined. Add almond milk followed by coconut cream (or heavy cream), stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- TRANSFER TO CASSEROLE DISH: Remove from heat and combine with blanched green beans. Transfer green bean mixture to prepared casserole dish. Top with mozzarella cheese, Parmesan crisps and crispy bacon (if using).
- PREHEAT OVEN AND COOK CASSEROLE: Bake at 375 F until bubbly and the topping is golden, about 15-18 minutes.
CAN I MAKE KETO GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE AHEAD OF TIME?
Absolutely, it’s simple to make this green bean casserole ahead of time for Thanksgiving or your next holiday dinner feast.
Simply cook the green beans and mushroom sauce ahead of time and then combine with the green beans. Transfer to the casserole dish and cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil. Store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Then once you are ready to bake the casserole, uncover and bake as directed in the recipe.
HOW DO I STORE LEFTOVER GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE?
Simple cover the leftovers in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply pop the oven safe dish in the oven at 350 and bake for 15 minutes, or until heated through.
More low carb recipes:
Low Carb Green Bean Casserole - made entirely from scratch using fresh green beans and a crunchy Parmesan cheese topping perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter holiday dinners. Best of all, full of delicious flavors using gluten free, keto friendly ingredients.
- 2 pounds fresh green beans trimmed
- 2 tablespoons ghee , OR unsalted butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups sliced cremini or portobello mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt , or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper , or to taste
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut cream , or heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese , shredded
- 3/4 cup crushed Parmesan crisps , (I used Whisps)
- Optional: 3 strips crisp cooked bacon , chopped into pieces
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until just crisp, tender, about 6 minutes. Drain in a colander and immediately transfer to a large bowl of ice water, to stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish and set aside.
- Melt ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the onions and garlic, for about 3-4 minutes, until softened. Stir in the mushrooms along with salt and pepper and continue cooking until brown, about 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over top and cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth until smooth then slowly add the almond milk and coconut cream while continuously stirring to prevent any lumps from forming. Continue cooking and stirring until the sauce reduces and thickens - taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Add green beans to skillet with the sauce and mix until the green beans are well covered.
- Transfer green bean mixture to prepared casserole dish. Top with cheese, bacon (if using) and sprinkle with crushed Parmesan crisps and bacon, if using.
- Bake in oven for about 15-18 minutes, or until bubbly and topping is golden brown. Serve hot.